Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958 chevy VIN?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, May 3, 2020.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hello fellas,i want to buy a 1958 chevy truck..it has clear title.it has some numbers on frame that match title..it was repainted at one time in the 90s and so the tag that goes on door A pillar just above lower hinge is not there. It appears it was not reinstalled after being painted..is this a issue?

Attached Files:

2. henry29

henry29

Should be a stainless plate spot welded on the upper part of the door pillar,
    [​IMG]

3. squirrel

squirrel

the lower tag you're thinking of is not a serial number plate. It just has the paint code.

The upper one, small stainless tag spot welded on, is the important thing. If it's missing or looks altered or doesn't match the title, don't buy the truck.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Cabs can be swapped, especially on a 60 year old truck. If the frame numbers really match, and are in the proper location, I would expect the truck to be fine. Due your research as to where the numbers are on that year truck.

1934coupe likes this.

5. I would ask the Ca Highway Patrol.They are the last word if you ever got called on it.Your lucky the number on the truck frame is easy to see,and verify.Cars like the 55-57 are under the body.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I just did your research. The serial number is on that tag, spot welded to the door hinge pillar. There is part of the same number sequence stamped on the frame, near the steering column, and again under the cab, but if you don't have all 3 numbers matching, then it's not right.

7. old school rodder

old school rodder

Did they stamp any of the VIN on the engine block? I have a 59 truck, frame and tag numbers match. But I can't seem to find any matching numbers on the engine. Mine is a 283 truck.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy didn't stamp the vehicle serial number on most vehicles until the late 60s. Before that, they did it on Vettes. Probably because Vettes, and Vette engines, were worth stealing.

Before 1956 (?) there was an actual serial number on the engine,and it was not the same as the vehicle serial number. But starting around 56, they only stamped the engine plant, assembly date, and engine type suffix. So there was no actual engine serial number for about 15 years.

9. Go to "the source": Call the main DMV office in Sacramento.

Telll them the story, and ask them if you'll be able to get it legally registered. Don't pass on it just because it's missing that VIN plate, without checking with DMV.

And get as much of the registration information as possible: license plate, VIN number, registration status, owner, etc. Ask Sacramento DMV to check for unpaid registration fees, liens, and how much it'll cost to register it if it's on non-op status.

** And make sure it will not be a smog check issue (such as, a newer engine is supposed to have all of the proper equipment on it).

Write down the name of the person you talk with, what they said, and get law/statute information.

Last edited: May 4, 2020