Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Maverick timing pointer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by October-1881, May 2, 2020.

1. October-1881

October-1881

I bought a 55 Ford Club Sedan with a 302 out of a Maverick. I don’t know what year it is but the timing pointer is missing and it’s not the same as other 302 motors. Can anyone tell me where I can get the correct one. We’re timing by ear and I don’t feel comfortable with that.

2. 6sally6

6sally6

You're just "peeing-in-the-dark" trying to time-by-ear.(always wondered....just HOW do you hold the wrench with your ear.....and which ear do you hold it with?!!?)
    Calm-down........just kidd'in!!
    You need a timing tape to glue on to your balancer AFTER you have established true TDC. (that can be another post)
    Mark on the balancer TDC then........stick your tape where you can easily see the numbers with a timing light and make the TDC(on the tape) your "new" top dead center! Make you a home-made pointer out of metal/Alum. and attach it to a bolt on the front cover, letting it point to TDC on the tape.
    You just "re-arranged" how FoMoCo set up their engine. Now you can EZ-ly see it (TDC)when timing the engine.
    Hope I explained this simple enough.
    6sally6

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

There where three timing pointer locations for the sbf, yours was probably the second one......

4. Find the OEM part number on your crank damper, then look up what car/truck it was fitted to. Make sure the timing cover matches. That will tell you which pointer you need.

5. derbydad276

derbydad276

you sure it wasn't the Third ?

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Pull the valve cover on number 1 turn the engine slowly and watch the rockers on Number 1 when the exhaust closes and the intake just starts to opens when both are open the same amount you are within 5 degrees of tdc. This should let you know which pointer to get or can just mark where the TDC mark is if you think that is close enough.

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Set the timing with a vacuum gauge, advance until you have the highest reading, retard it a little if it doesn't start hot or pings.