Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Buick Introduction from Minneapolis, Minnesota

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slylark, Apr 25, 2020.

1. slylark

slylark

Hey out there is HAMB land. I've been wrenching on Buicks for awhile now. Currently working on a 1955 Century 4dr HT. A barn find that I picked up from a friend. Still in original paint so patina is really nice. Currently working on the front suspension. What started as a simple disc brake swap has turned into a complete suspension rebuild.

Would love to connect with others who have been down this road before me. Best place to get parts, etc would be helpful.

Thanks
    Joel
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

Attached Files:

scrap metal 48 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

My dad has a '55 Roadmaster. Would love to hear more about your disc brake swap. He has been having lots of brake fade issues with his.

3. BJR

BJR

I am just over in St Paul, I had a 54 Buick and now have a 49 Super. PM me if you need some help, or info.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Looks like a nice car to start with. 55 Buicks are the best looking cars of the 50's as far as I am concerned. You made a great purchase, congrats.
    P.S. I may be a little bias as I have had 4 55s and I am now tinkering on a 55 Special:D

5. slylark

slylark

Zax, my Century has the manual drum brakes. For driving on today's roads and speeds I've found they just dont cut it. I've done everything to the stock setup to improve the brakes but still not good enough to deal with today's drivers.

I went with the Scarebird conversion brackets. The kit is easy to install and uses off the shelf GM parts for rotors, calipers, bearings, etc. The conversion can be done in a weekend IF you dont overhaul the suspension like I'm doing.

I'm also installing an under floor power booster/MC. I'm not sure what adjustments I will need to make to the stock pedal in order for it to work with the power brakes.

Let me know if you have any questions on the brakes.

6. slylark

slylark

Thanks Buckeye. I agree re the 1955 Buick. I'm a big fan of all old cars and motorcycles. I especially like the Buicks because my grandma gave me her 1970 Buick Skylark 2dr HT when I was 15. I've been with Buicks ever since. I had a 64 Skylark convertible that I swapped a 65 GS driveline into. Also owned a 65 GS convertible. But I like the 40s and 50s Buicks these days.

7. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My Dad bought a 55 Special new when I was four years old so I grew up with it and all the other Buicks we had. I got the 55 in 64 when Dad was trading up and they didn't offer hardly anything for a trade in. I have owned Buicks all through the years, right now I have my 55 Special and I am building a 65 GS with a bored 455 with 2X4s and a Muncie 4 speed. I looked at a 55 Century a while back that had a 425 nailhead but it was too cobbed up and the guy had been watching Barret-Jackson before he priced it:eek::rolleyes:

8. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I have heard of Scarebird before, but didn't know he had stuff for a '55. My dad's has the under the floor factory booster which he sent off to some place in California to have rebuilt. But still his brakes are pretty crappy and the longer he is out driving the closer the pedal gets to the floor before it stops. Do you plan to go with a non-stock booster under the floor?