Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag Roadsters............picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jun 7, 2009.

1. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

2. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

3. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

4. Gary Simas

Gary Simas

I have found this roadster. It is currently in The Peterson Museum in Los Angeles.. Unitil sometime in November.
    Yes, The Jack and Jerry's Special was the original Tony Nancy 22jr. Later restored by Dan LaCroix. Anybody know where the car is now?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    grumpy32, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  5. Gary Simas

Gary Simas

The Seaton Jack and Jerry's Special. Circa 1959. The original Tony Nancy 29 A Flathead roadster. 003.JPG

EVL401, Deuces, stillrunners and 7 others like this.
  6. 296ardun

296ardun

seaton jim 2.jpg
    Yes, Tony's old roadster, after Jim dropped a Potvin-equipped Olds in it.

EVL401, Deuces, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  7. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

8. 296ardun

296ardun

grudem losinski roadster.jpg Ed Losinski's roadster, partnered with the Reed Brothers..Norm Grudem photo

grudem bob rector 296 103mph.jpg
    Bob Rector at Pomona, 296" flathead. 96mph, Grudem photo.

olliemorris harold dawson.jpg
    Ollie Morris and Harold Dawson ran this roadster before Ollie's "Smok'n White Owl" dragster. Harold drove the Reath & Maillard "Turtle" competition coupe to a NHRA championship trophy...R&C archives

saugus roadsters56.jpg
    Two early roadsters at Saugus, early '50s, photo is not marked, but it is from the Jamie Barter collection. He not only has one of the best hot rod photo collection, but is an encyclopedia of hot rod knowledge.

schramm.jpg
    Darrel Schramm of the "Hutters" car club --- in the service area of the Mercury dealer where Darrel worked with Dean Moon. Dean went on to found Moon Equipment...the "Hutters" were named after the club's hangout, the Hula Hut in Whittier, CA.

roadster san luis obispo.jpg
    Roadster leaves the line at San Luis Obispo "Pride of the Pacific" drag strip...I don't have an identity on it, but expect that Karen White took the photo, probably from the Sherm Porter collection.

scoville '59.jpg
    Scoville Brothers A/R class winner at the NHRA nationals, photo from Hot Rod Magazine...the Scoville Brothers were from Sherman Oaks, and ran competitively wherever they showed up.

deadbeat, EVL401, Stogy and 13 others like this.
  9. Melton Smith

Melton Smith

A Street Roadster.jpg
    This is my dad's street roadster in the front yard of our house. It was in an earlier picture with Dean Lowe at the Winternationals.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  10. Melton Smith

Melton Smith

B Street Roadster smith-pic-5.jpg
    He first ran it as B/SR. Had some success with it but moved to A/SR

curbspeed, bschwoeble, EVL401 and 9 others like this.
  11. Melton Smith

Melton Smith

Most Viewed smith-pic-4.jpg Though not a Street Roadster, it is the same motor. This is the car he won two world championships with and had a long unbeaten streak.

EVL401, Stogy, Deuces and 10 others like this.
  12. Your Dad was a racer's racer. The photo you are referring to is one of the rounds of street eliminator. It was heads up, no handicap. Flag start, no tree at Pomona yet. I was running 11.40's, and I thought I was going to get him, but he got me just before the lights with an 11.25. It was a damn good race.

curbspeed, EVL401, Stogy and 13 others like this.
  13. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I find it interesting that the author uses the term "street rod" in 1957.

Jet96, deadbeat, GuyW and 1 other person like this.
  15. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

16. Tom Ferraro on fire in a fuel altered at Irwindale. This fire prompted a law suit against Simpson Safety Equipment for "failure to protect as advertised?" and that, in turn, lead to the rule changes to multi-layer fire suits.

17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-4-19_4-19-4.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-2-14-20.1184145/#post-13447666
    Hello,
    If a roadster or coupe is well built, it can be intimidating in several ways. Setting records for open roadsters, winning trophies at car shows, and intimidating at the starting line for eliminations is/was the goal. Tony Nancy had his immaculate roadster at many So Cal dragstrips and set records in the day. So, what does an opponent do when they see the red roadster in the next lane?

upload_2020-4-19_4-19-54.png 1959 Riverside Raceway
    If the Tony Nancy, red, modified roadster had some changes, it would make a wonderful fenderless street roadster. It was the quality of the build and the look it presented in any car show or drag strip appearance.
    upload_2020-4-19_4-21-11.png $1600 in 1962 ... Sounds good to a couple of brothers...

Someone got a good deal on one of the most famous roadsters in So Cal. Of course, we all knew that in the final modification, the injected Buick motor was replaced with a big Buick motor with a 671 supercharger from the Tommy Ivo camp.

upload_2020-4-19_4-23-6.png
    Intimidating and fast…what a combo!!!

Jnaki

Riverside 1959

deadbeat, EVL401, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  18. What's the custom 1955 Chevy in the back ground - think there is a thread on the HAMB.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

SOOOooo...was the lawsuit successful or did Simpson prevail, notwithstanding the rule changes by NHRA?

loudbang likes this.
  20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Pal,
    If you are worried or intimidated by who you are about to race you are in the wrong sport and would do best to take up knitting.

Treat every opponent with a wary respect and the realization that no matter how good you are anybody can beat anybody on any given day. You can go from "Hero-to-Zero" in nuthin' flat in this sport, and vice-versa.

That is not to say you should not study your opponents tendencies. Does he/she like to play starting line games or talk smash mouth? Stages first / last? Will they lift at the finish line or if they get crossed up, or run it out the back door? Etc.

Bottom line: RUN YOUR OWN RACE AS FLAWLESSLY AS POSSIBLE. Don't worry about your opponent until you approach the finish line speed trap where you will have to make decisions on "driving the stripe" as we bracket racers like to say.

21. That's Jim Seaton's very well known Barris built 55 Chev. It was even drag raced a bit. It's restored now.
    Don't know if Jim was a brother of Jack & Jerry Seaton or not.

Mick
    JimSeaton55Chev@Drags.jpg

Stogy, Deuces, stillrunners and 5 others like this.
  22. Fogger

Fogger

This may have been posted before, but here's another look at a beautiful B/SR. The team of Greer and Barber raced both a Willy's coupe and this '29. Both were very well built and ran hard in their classes. This was in the mid '60 and at the height of drag racing for me. C & W motor parts.JPG

deadbeat, EVL401, bchctybob and 8 others like this.
  23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I like the matching helmet paint to go with the engine turned graphics on the car. classy

loudbang likes this.
  24. The matching T bucket push car is stopped in front of the Shores & Hess A/Gas Anglia on the trailer. Jim Shores (white shirt on left) had his new Thunderbird tow car repainted candy apple red to match the Anglia. Skip Hess is standing in front of the "S" in Shores. I guess all the matching rigs parked on the same side of the pits. Good old days.

25. That's Joe Pirenello's Dodge bucket roadster pushing his modified roadster in font of Shores & Hess.
    Cool photo.

Mick

26. Great thread!

loudbang likes this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-5-10_3-54-26.png

Hello,

By the time this magazine had come out in July-August of 1962, we had been involved in the recovery phase of my brother’s accident. He was in college finishing up, despite the daily reminder of what happened in 1960. I was also starting college and thought about our fledgling speed shop business that I was running by myself.

I sold a lot of accessories and stuff to my friends, but that was not going to last. So my brother called in June to see if the summer would be a good time to perhaps, start another final project. He knew I wanted to do something else, even though we were now surfing and going on long coastal surf trips.

Somehow, the urge to build one more race car was still in his mind. During the intensive recovery stage, that was all we talked about in his hospital room and after 7-8 months, at home in our study/den until the wee hours after our parents had gone to sleep. (our mom would have a s#1+ fit if she heard us talking about another drag racing car.) But, this conversation in June seemed serious. I guess he wanted one last fling at drag racing.

For the summer, we did read a lot of Drag News papers, Hot Rod Magazines and others that kept us in the loop. For some strange reason, he did not want to attend any drag racing events. Which was fine for both of us. It was intense in some moments during our talks.

Jnaki

But through it all, he wanted to build something like Tony Nancy’s modified roadster. It still had the roadster look that we both liked, but in reality, it would give him a chance to drive an FED race car. (with a body)
    upload_2020-5-10_3-57-18.png
    "The Buick was 450" Nailhead, blown and Injected.

Tommy Ivo sold Tony this engine out of his Blown Buick Dragster, when Fuller built Ivo the Twin Buick…”
    upload_2020-5-10_3-58-13.png

deadbeat, EVL401, Dean Lowe and 5 others like this.
  28. Trice Auctions

Trice Auctions

This car is selling via auction July 25th in Mr. Bill Yeager's Estate Auction - https://www.bidtrice.com/lot/69019284/cederquist-bros--roadster--52-dragster

29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I see that they put on a six-point cage and they added the gusset upgrades. Why did they not add the required 1" helmet bars?

30. The one and only time I lined up against Dick, he didn't win. Carlsbad, 1967, NHRA points meet.

[​IMG]

327-365hp, curbspeed, Deuces and 8 others like this.