Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Half Fendered Hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stogy, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

That must have been the same night I saw it in North St Paul, nice ride!

exterminator, Murphy32 and Stogy like this.
  2. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great photos. the younger guys just don't seem to grasp the concept that the law said you ran fenders and no fenders meant tickets. Several states had the under 1500 lb rules in effect that if your car weighed under that you could run without fenders.
    This state (Washington) has a fair weather fender law but I don't know how tight it is enforced. Not many guys pull out of the garage in a driving rain storm to go some where so it may not be the issue. In this state you can pull out of the garage at 7 in the morning and not see a cloud in the sky and be on the way to something going on 100 miles away and get caught in a driving rain storm 40 miles from the house that lasts for two miles and then hit sunshine and blue sky on the other side spend the rest of the day in the dry.

Remembering around here that the few hot rods that weren't full fendered had cycle fenders on the front and bobbed fenders on the back and although the "older guys" complained (I was pretty young then) that is the way it was if you didn't want to get a ticket or get impounded.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

We need to run those crappy things masquerading as fenders down here, no fenderless. Most just don't look right and are FUGLY, however some pull it off.

Lil32, Stogy and deadbeat like this.
  5. This car has a great stance, love it. BigO

Nicholas Coe and Stogy like this.
  6. Stogy and deadbeat like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dan Now your Talking...that's one sexy Hotrod...Nail on the Head...

Stogy WANTS that in his garage but Dan says 'Sorry Bud Ain't gonna Happen'...:D

Any history on that?

To Me it's right up there with the Bakan Coupe...

I have to say it was more difficult to dig these up as Many that I was thinking of turned out to have the cycle fender front...also a very sexy look but not Half per say...

Thank you...;)

exterminator and ramblin dan like this.
  8. Lil32

Lil32

deadbeat and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MG and @Lil32, I think Cycle style fendered can be Beautiful...but it takes a well thought out ribbed spare tire ring style as opposed to the flat generic rolled steamroller looking style that says I put them on because the Law says so...

I think the other thing that affects the look is the tire the fender is fit against...piecrust or retro bias look tires work better than the modern look wider profile tires which look later 60s, 70s and up...perhaps satisfying in the the Highboy or Full fender look but not in between...

My rear fender is actually a Aluminum Trailer fender garnished with Aviation/Race inspired doubler...to me it works because it is not 4" wider on a modern Indy looking Wide tire...

Some of to Hotrods posted here look that way...I really embrace the timeline the Hamb has set.

That Timeline was set for a reason and Wide profile tires all around is part of a post 65 look...I don't dispute for a second that wide tire look wasn't happening before 65 either...It was...

I just populated a Thread on AMBR Winners up to 65 and I saw the transition happening.

I know a great deal of the Membership lived and Loved that later era in Hotrod...I was a teen in the seventies lived through it still see it at the shows and just walk by it...I don't like to be vocal about it...it hurts what others enjoy...but here we are revering past Excellence...and you can't make a Seventies look like the Bakan or that Roadster Dan just posted...it's really more than a fender...

Sorry long winded...

J.P.frontview34.jpg

:rolleyes:...;)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    BigO, Sancho, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am a younger going on 60...I guess we are celebrating a look that did happen, is governed by laws in many places and continues to be broken by many...

As I alluded in a post earlier I would if dictated by law move to a cycle fender front in a Heartbeat as I personally feel it also looks Fantastic and is even period correct...

This thread is not to tease or undermine those that can't by law...its just a celebration of the look which is either liked or disliked...note HRP's response...

I felt bad telling Gord his Hotrod didn't fit because it's Full Fendered...I love that Hotrod...

If I was to do Hotrod a second time around I would go Bobbed with Cycle in a Heartbeat I love both looks...and a Hamber early in the thread swaps between many looks which gives one 3 Hotrods in one...even better...

BigO and Lil32 like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Traditional-Rods-4.jpg

:rolleyes:...I'd like to know the story...looks like a survivor that was left like the Scarecrow on The Wizard of Oz and they picked up the pieces scattered in the barn and reunited them...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

BigO, 40ragtopdown and Lil32 like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

eight-1942-photos-hot-rod-sporty-car_1_a2491013ebc67246dd0c8f8f9e202fa7.jpg

:rolleyes:...A moment in time...
    Tiny pic but the message is clear...

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

One time coming home from the local Billetproof franchise show in my roadster I got stuck in a downpour.

At a certain speed the rain blows over the top of the car and allows better visibility but anytime I was making left turn that front left tire sprayed road water directly into your face!

That is when I fully realized the benefits of front fenders... :)

My passenger didn’t mind the right hand turns because she was my quite intoxicated girlfriend who actually fell asleep on the ride home.

Good times!! :D

BigO, Jet96, 40ragtopdown and 3 others like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Image (16).jpg

:rolleyes:... @39ChevyBob is gracing the Hamb with a Thread as we speak on a series of Vintage Historical Pictorial Gold lent to him by a Friend whose Late Father lived the Hotrod dream we revere here...

This is but one of those gems that carry that vibe to 2020 like it was yesterday...the theme being discussed is front and center here in this pic...to me and others who enjoy the look....simply enjoy it...

I encourage all Hambers to check out the thread at the link below and celebrate past Excellence...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...akes-pioneer-family-photo-collection.1188425/

Thank You Bob,

The Lindsley Family and
    Their Late Father

Hotrodder Jim Lindsley
    (First to hit Record 200 mph in a Roadster at the Dry Lakes)

You lived through a great time in Hotrod

Jet96, 40ragtopdown, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  15. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Black_Sheep and Stogy like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Story Scotto...gave me a chuckle...tell me did you go out of your way and make a few more right turns just to get the Wet T-Shirt contest fired up...:D

I've had the Ole Half Fendered for 4 Years now and have only been through 2 bouts of Rain that I pulled off the road to sit out and those both were very short in duration...

As @Mr48chev Pointed out I treat the Hotrod as a fair weather vehicle for several reasons and Yes it's a limitation many would not tolerate but I do and still have fun with it....

0_20181018_173627.jpg

brEad, BigO, Sancho and 5 others like this.
  17. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Sorry to say I have no info on this one. I have been collecting pics. from books ,off the net and car shows for years trying to find ideas for an old Deuce roadster project I'm building and have been trying to build for a long time. That car is channelled about the same height as mine so that's probably why I kept that picture.

Stogy likes this.
  18. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

19. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

It's funny you guys talk about driving a fenderless roadster in the rain. About thirty years ago a buddy of mine purchased his first hot rod. It was a 23 T-bucket. No roof, no fenders and no hood. Because he didn't drive a 4-speed that well he took me along to drive it back home for him which was about an hour back. On the way back it began to rain. He was following me and the T was shooting trails of water up about ten feet over each wheel going down the road and every time I turned the steering wheel to the left I got my face washed.

bchctybob and Stogy like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm chuckling again...:D

ramblin dan and Lil32 like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

metalhead140, cactus1, BigO and 7 others like this.
  22. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Is this an East Coast / West Coast thing? I don’t recall seeing many half fendered cars in the Midwest...

Stogy likes this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Laws may have dictated the movement of many details in Hotrod...Racing, Club Rules...maybe a host of things, to me it's a look with no borders...if your smiling and having fun Stogy's Happy...

But like you the origins of the hobby are interesting...the hatred not so much...

Perhaps some of the Older Hotrod Guard my shed some light on this...;)

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1963or1964atMattos.jpg

:rolleyes:...Hamber @HEMI32's Family Heirloom...it has certainly done the Hotrod Walk indeed...

EVL401, gnichols, BigO and 7 others like this.
  25. town sedan

town sedan

I've lusted over this red Model A for years. The detail found in the fenders of the two 3 windows show that bobbing a fender doesn't have to be a hatchet job. I enjoy the cycle fender look also, but these three cars demonstrate how good the "half fendered" look can be.
    -Dave

Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

400px-Dick-dean-1930-ford-roadster.jpg

:rolleyes:...Fronts only...not common but done...

Dick Dean in a 1930 Ford Roadster

EVL401, BigO, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BigO, Sancho, 40ragtopdown and 4 others like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John-a-good-1932-ford.jpg

:rolleyes:...It's got Wood...:D

I believe this is early 60s...

EVL401, Sancho, 40ragtopdown and 3 others like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

town sedan, BigO, Jet96 and 5 others like this.