Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Half Fendered Hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stogy, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Graystoke

Graystoke

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

69982442_2329886557048237_4834417018033668096_n.jpg

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Jet96, 40ragtopdown and BigO like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did comment when I posted this elsewhere many might have had raised eyebrows by the time it crossed the finish line at the strip taking home the gold...

I remember you mentioned having an interest in lesser fendered 35 Coupes...there is a couple more...I'm looking for...one is Ardun powered...​

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    dana barlow likes this.
  4. I prefer full fenders or none at all. HRP

BigO and Stogy like this.
  5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

7. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Here's a few-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401, brEad, Shadow Creek and 14 others like this.
  8. Apparently our membership has trouble counting to two. The point of this thread was cars with only 2 fenders, either fronts only or rears only. Why post pictures of cars with 4 fenders?

metalhead140, Jibs, BigO and 3 others like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know Gord...I was thinking of including Fixed Back, Cycle front...but it is a form of full fendered...

I love that look too, don't get me wrong but I think think we are getting mixing of my specific request...as @37hotrod mentioned

I love that look though...just not here...

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

It makes sense to run back fenders but front fenders are giant air scoops. Not good. So cycle fenders on the front make sense and you still get the look of rear only if the fronts hug the tires. About 1962 there was a Model A coupe in my neighborhood with rear/no front fenders and I've never forgotten how much I like it

deadbeat and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I appreciate the enthusiasm Hambers but fronts or rears Only not both together...;)

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

I ran only rear fenders on the ‘33 5w I was driving at the end of high school. The local cops gave me a fix-it ticket which I payed after installing my bent up front fenders. Then I read the vehicle code carefully. It didn’t specify four fenders, it just said “ fenders sufficient to prevent debris from being thrown to the rear of the vehicle”. Actually no fender does that, but the next time I got rousted I pointed this out to the officer and he relented. Unfortunately he still wrote me up for my M&H slicks and no front plate. Hot rodders couldn’t win back then.
    Oh yeah. It looks like my current ‘33 pickup will hit the street with only rear fenders (if any). This one came with junk front fenders also. Deja vu all over again.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

deadbeat and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought about that and yes aerodynamically the rears would flow better...but on street Hotrod aerodynamics were less important I suppose...and looks trumped performance and maybe just fronts may have went on to keep stones and water from being flung into the cabin when turning and sharp curves...the rears are fixed so stuff just goes forward or aft. I wish you had a pic of that 'A' Manyol

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This one has two front fenders in the rear of the car. And they are literally half of a fender. Hahaha! Sorry stogy I couldn’t resist. D130FF93-ADEF-414F-9705-4E3B4AF77ABF.jpeg

waxhead, BigO, ramblin dan and 4 others like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18119058_1272414916128745_3444388644804541577_n.jpg

:rolleyes:...Half Fendered...

Rear Only Nothing On the Front...

Nice at that...somewhat like your's @GordonC do you have any of your Roadster with the Fronts off?

Sancho, 40ragtopdown, BigO and 3 others like this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

Me too. It was light gray primer and looked soooo good

Stogy likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a spin on it for sure...:D...Funny, I was thinking of Brent with the Radical A Coupe...he split each fender down the middle front to back including the boards taking out a couple of inches sorta half fendering it also but with a twist...;)

deadbeat and dana barlow like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No pics Bob...:(...cool story though...Dana mentioned Laws against it as well...

It's funny we Had the Aussie deal over here and in some places here even in Canada it's still illegal...I Have never had a problem here...

bchctybob and dana barlow like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Murph...Yupp that's the ticket...;)

What a trio...eh...I really like the look

20. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

How about these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401, Lil'Alb, Sancho and 7 others like this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I guess just making yours from bent flat is the cheap way,but when I had to make some in the early 60s,,cut in 1/2 two Contenentel spair tire ring covers to make MC type. They at lest had some shape an didn't flex,so bracket were EZer to fab.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Are fronts-only to protect the car/paint?

Stogy likes this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was my analogy...but it could also be for a desired look and many actually ran that front cycle fender right to the front and down some to reduce the drag/scooping effect Manyolcars mentioned...every Hotrodder drums to their own beat...Bobbing fenders were dictated by the maker and whatever they knew from the logic they gleaned...

BigO likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@phil your A had a complete set I recall...many times the fenders were trimmed to suit especially the A's as once the bumper was removed they hung down and stood out as there was no fuel tank or panel...Some are okay with that extra fender...though...

This threads about half but the Bobbed rear, cycle front like Gords looks pretty sharp...and you don't get sand in your face...I really don't find it to be an issue myself and I drive dirt, gravel and paved...

I think it has been mention but the cycle look may in fact be spare tire rings from say a 36 Ford...

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nailed it wonderful examples...

The bottom is Ray Anderegg's AMBR winning roadster 2nd makeover...that Deuce looks familiar too...​

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1934-Ford-roadster_vintage-photo-1024x750.jpg

:rolleyes:...Lucky Guy...man this is too cool for school...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    hfh, Cosmo49, hans mercman and 6 others like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10593015.jpg

:rolleyes:...Bowtie twist...this fella was way ahead of time...more or less a trendsetter and Half Fendered...

Sancho, Jet96, 40ragtopdown and 4 others like this.
  28. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes the car came with a full set of pretty good fenders. I am hesitate to cut them up in case I wanted to go back to full fendered. I have been eying yours but I am not sure they would look as good on mine because I went with a wider tire than you.

Phil

Stogy likes this.
  29. deadbeat

deadbeat

Stogy likes this.
  30. ramblin dan

ramblin dan