Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hinged Bed Wood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spillaneswillys, Mar 10, 2020.

1. I just started making the wood bed for my 51 Dodge truck and would like to make it so that I can have storage underneath. What have you guys seen that is a strong enough lift device to hold the wood up? It measures 44 x 66 so it will be quite heavy. It is also too heavy for me to lift and try to prop up so I will need an assist of some sort to even put a prop under it. Thanks in advance Joe

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would look into the bigger suv rear tailgate actuators.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hey Joe. Google linear actuators. A bunch come up .

4. split down the middle and hinged to each side cuts the weight in half.
    hinge just a few boards in the middle and stow stuff under each fixed side.
    the beauty of a partial opening is the whole bed doesn't have to be emptied to access the storage.

blowby, ClayMart and brEad like this.

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Having been an El Camino fanatic (2 El Caminos owned) there were the times that rear storage was necessary. But, the open bed was not secure. Every time we stopped for lunch, dinner, or just a roadside stop for a breather on our long road trips, we had to put the "stuff" inside of the cab to lock up. Over the years, that got to be rather a bother, even as 20 somethings.

We did a little proactive moves in using a locking cable around our waterproof suitcases and attached to some folding rings on the walls of the bed. That solved most of the quick stop places, but for the long runs and times away from the El Camino, it was not a perfect solution.
    upload_2020-3-11_6-13-31.png
    In the bed of the El Camino, there is a small area behind the window on the floor. That was where the station wagon frame was used as a rear footwell area. In the El Camino, there was a bolted in metal sheet that matched the upraised floor of the bed. I unbolted that plate many times and had actually designed a lined mini box to fit in that unused area. But, still as a pick up style El Camino, not too much could fit in there, like suitcases or other stuff.

Jnaki

I tried to get a quick release locking mechanism to make that floor plate usable, but it was a task I did not like or the area would not accommodate what we needed to put in there. Our thoughts went to a 2 door 65 Chevelle station wagon to solve all storage problems.

A big mechanism to raise the whole floor would be difficult and actually useless. There are only two areas that could be used for storage in most trucks. One is similar to the El Camino hidden area and one farther back near the gas tank(s). But, to raise the whole floor just for two “smallish” storage areas seems a little over the top. Perhaps, a hinge near the cab would open up just that area and another hinge for one in the far reaches allowing the opening a smaller area from the tailgate.
    upload_2020-3-11_6-10-4.png

Maybe an antique trunk sitting behind the cab would look nice, go with the style of the truck and be lockable for added storage. Then there is no need for any lifting of the whole floor or parts of it. YRMV

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

A44E0FB9-6CB8-4A35-898B-F14CFBE9B2D7.jpeg

It takes two men and a baby jackass to lift the redwood stake bed on my Model A. I put a box with double hasps to hold tools. Also provide a place for an elevated brake light.

tb33anda3rd and LowCountry Mike like this.
  7. @denis4x4 , this had me laughing so hard:) I will be using that for sure!

It takes two men and a baby jackass to lift......

8. trollst

trollst

I made a tonneau cover for my 36, weld some angle iron to the box sides, a tab on the front and rear panels to secure it with an rv lock, and a piece of 3/8's plywood covered with naugahyde. Twenty years old, works perfect and is secure. DSC06522.JPG DSC06523.JPG

Packrat and Budget36 like this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

Pic of the RV lock?

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I would like to do similar to yours for my ‘48 F1.

11. trollst

trollst

It's just an rv door lock, the kind found on outside storage doors, Threaded with a nut on the backside and dirt cheap.

12. utahdodge

utahdodge

Hardware stores call them cam locks