Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Where did they go and why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 9, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. Yes and I know why

40 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. No

58 vote(s)
    41.1%
  1. 26Troadster

26Troadster

saw don last month on another site, he's been building a ot race car and helping his son's on their projects.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

We’ve never really lost them.
    They may no longer be around to add to the conglomerate but their past posts will always be available.
    In fact just this past week I used some valuable information from Bruce.
    Thx old friend.

3. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

The Photobucket disaster fucked a lot of people off... this site and every forum on the planet suffered for it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    1/2done, JeffB2, LSGUN and 16 others like this.
  4. You have good timing loudbang! I usually go through my list of people that I follow, sometime around my anniversary date, and "unfollow" them if they haven't been seen in over a year, for whatever reason, I hadn't done that this year.
    Thankfully, those that I do unfollow weren't contributing much anyway. I have made some very good friends in the 12 years that I have been here, most of which, I would never of met otherwise and for that I am thankful. I can't imagine what I would do without the h.a.m.b., most likely get alot more done!!!

5. I'm a hermit anyhow, just cars, g/f and a distant last work......in that order. I post and look mainly at nights and lunch time. I'm not really a joiner also (6 sites total, 3 are Atomic run) so I don't like Instagram and the thought of fakebook makes me want to wretch. I like build threads and post with the hope it might help others, I'm not a pro or a business just some guy. I like it here because this contains eras I like ONLY and when this goes away I'll crawl back under the old car I came from :).

I'm fine with technology and changing with it, but remember technology is a tool if you follow it too much you become one.

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

I read somewhere that most of us are good for maybe one car. Maybe after that, they just ran out of stuff to post? In any case, if I should suddenly die, I won't post anymore.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Most of my long time car buddies have migrated to FB and IG. I gave those up so am more active here now. This site continues to be the only forum I care to frequent at all considering the content and great folks.

8. silent rick

silent rick

we lost a lot after the last big rules change. they may still lurk but rarely ever post. when they do come here, i see them mostly checking out the classifieds.

loudbang likes this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I think a lot of folks are thin skinned, somebody says something wrong to them and they run. Me, I get pissed every once in a while the way things go around here, posts locked or deleted, pissing matches between a few members, but I have to rethink it and keep in mind most of the time it’s just trying to herd a bunch of cats between the lines.

Internet forum boards are a dying breed, I’m on two others, one is closing sometime this spring because of a lack of participation, and the other is still going but I have noticed a drop in posts. We are lucky here, there is probably 1,000 members actively posting if that many. Lots of those on the members list may not have ever made a post, they just read. Age is getting a lot of us, I’ve only been here since 2011 but I’ve seen several big posters that have passed away or just quit posting for whatever reason. I don’t post every day, but try to check in once or twice. I told my wife if I croak to post it on my boards so my friends and enemies will know and can grieve or celebrate, whichever is appropriate. My logins are saved in google chrome, so it will be simple for her. I would suggest others do this too, we want to know what happened to ya......

10. First I have to say the hamb is a great site. I literally don't know of another forum that has as many talented builders as we have here not to mention the knowledge base of many of its members. Even for somebody building an off topic project there is content here that will apply and help them along. If I had to guess as to why some stop posting (obviously besides passing away) I would have to say most car guys I know have diverse interests which in addition to hamb friendly builds, go well beyond 1964 and up into the early 70's as far as build styles and drag cars. A good portion of that won't fly here so they just move on. The hamb needs rules to keep things in line and does a great job within the period it chooses to represent but there is a certainly a lot more out there. With that said I am quite thankful that I don't have to wade through threads about the best stainless steel exhaust for a new Challenger R/T or turbo kits for Mustangs.

11. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I know a bunch of guys that just dont post anymore for a number of reasons..

Plowboy and loudbang like this.
  12. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel a bit of the opposite. When someone bumps an old thread, I am always amazed at how many people that posted on it are still active. There are guys that have been here for 20 years, myself included. It is pretty incredible, when you think about it.

-Abone.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like following build threads, all of them, amazing how fast some guys can turn out a finished car. I've lost interest in working on mine, that wiring hurdle is a killer, so there isn't any progress to post about. There were about a half dozen builds that I followed that died, money, motivation or health/family, who knows. Unfinished projects have been traditional since someone started the second build. Bob

14. No doubt many custom guys left because of the disrespect and general shitty posts. Case in point: The Aztec thread in December. People couldn't resist clicking on a thread about a famous custom just to talk shit. Possibly the same type who are offended by a member who tries to engage other members with positive threads. If it's too much for them to scroll past a member's threads, so they just mustn't endure seeing that member's name, they can ignore that member! Like a little girl. @loudbang has a guy here who just lives to say shit about his posts. Fucking immature and very tiring. Less bullshit and more cars, I say.

15. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I am amazed how many just stop posting right in the middle of a big project! I don't know if they passed away, or just quit posting and continued their project or completely quit their project... who knows...

loudbang and weps like this.
  16. I'm here for the duration or until Ryan closes up the shop and moves to Hawaii.:D;)

54delray, i.rant, 19Eddy30 and 19 others like this.
  17. G'day, I started here as an observer for a couple of years before I actually joined up in 2009. Then life got in the way and I had a series of strokes that left me in a bad place. I just came back here about a month or two ago and had to learn the new forum. Luckily for me my old Apple computer remembered my login and password. Kind of like it was rooting for me to come back. I still don't have the ability to work on my projects and should get rid of my extra stuff. I guess nobody needs old Chevy P30 vans full of engine blocks, transmissions, and transfer cases anymore.

I really do want to finish my Corvettes and my wife's Nash Metropolitan before I sell everything off. I am supposed to have heart surgery this summer and that will decide what I do. I will either have the strength to finish them or my wife will have one of the biggest tool and automotive garage sales around.

I would like to add that one of the things that did encourage me back to the site was Mr. Porknbeaner. I always enjoyed his banter and would like to meet him.

Thanks,
    Mitch

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've noticed that too, someone will come on and tell us they are on InstFace or something. Great, now I need to find a grand to buy an !Phone and somehow learn how it works, then what? If you left the HAMB I'm not searching for you. Bob

19. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

This site is an excellent resource, mostly the reason I joined, and to show off my truck. Most of the projects I have done don’t fit, bikes, tube buggy, too new. But back to the subject, life does have a way of getting in the way for a lot of reasons, and as private type person and self admitted miserable old bastard, I really don’t want to see what you had for lunch or the end result, which seems to me what farce book and the other site are all over. I do appreciate seeing what people do and there are some seriously talented people out there, if the posting stops I just move on, I figure if they wanted us to know they would say, or maybe their “gone”, was never socialized as a child so sorry if I’ve offended

20. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I’m with you Danny, to hell with Facebook, don’t trust it. No interest in Instagram or Twitter. HAMB is only Site that I care about and enjoy.

21. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

From my observation, many hotrodders (street rodders) same thing to me come here thinking this is the new internet version of their hobby. When they find out this is more of an antique era only hotrod site and they can't mention anything further they move on. I am one of them that has decided to hang on for the information shared here regardless of the limited scope. I can go elsewhere to get the rest of the story without leaving . This site seems to piss people off for newer cutoffs in the same way NSRA pissed people off for allowing newer cutoff dates. I myself would rather the whole hobby would unite but I just try to roll with what is dealt us.

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think I am a well rounded guy . :DOnce in awhile I check a few sites if I need to research something like “Inliners” but all I really need is this site. Good people, projects and cars . Even better tech plus parts. What else do I need , except a sandwich and and cold beverage .

23. I'm with you Don. HRP

54delray, 19Eddy30, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  24. Joseph Carey

Joseph Carey

Ya know. Life is simple now.. Log on, type something, log off.
    I have been apart of many forums over the years and two things stick out.
    You run into someone who hurts your internet feelings( wether it's context or blatant)
    You run into the mob..... Yes theres a mob. They back each other up and your shunned perhaps innocently but don't take it that way it was delivered ( refer to written context)
    That said there are a ton of people who just show up, learn what they need and their life takes them away.
    I like this site even though I could not do a damn thing to my 70 and 71 besides feed them 91 + rec gas. Lol
    Just my .02 cents
    Joseph

chryslerfan55, 19Eddy30 and loudbang like this.
  25. gene-koning

gene-koning

Well, I don't own a vehicle that is HAMB friendly, and probably never have. My stuff sort of skims by the side, close enough to be allowed a few glances. Before the tightening of the rules, I did submit a few build topics. These days, there isn't much I can post about as far as car builds. I can follow that up with the fact that even if I could post part of one of my builds, I probably wouldn't any more. The often overzealous HAMBers would pick it apart because it might not be to the quality many of them have never built to, but are sure ready to discredit others for trying. The new HAMB is not a do it yourself friendly place, and its a tough place for a beginner to get useful information. I suspect those things could explain why some of the people have not returned.

I do participate on threads where I can share my knowledge or experiences that are related. I will also respond to the thread that I feel is lacking common sense, has incorrect information, or incomplete information. Gene

26. I have been told the reason most of the guys left, they realized 113 points is the highest score....and...the points don't matter.

Sancho, loudbang and RMR&C like this.
  27. Funny...about 2005 a buddy whose family has some deep roots in early Texas drags said I should check this site out. Finally I did and think that was there year he started a thread that lasted for about 10 yrs.....he hopped off the train long ago.........

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. I think that sometimes people just get burned out and drop off for a while. I know I have done that before. Sometimes some of us just need to step away for a while and reorganize our thought and work processes. If its really in your blood, you will come back because like heroin, there is no other fix as good as the HAMB.

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The HAMB firewall tag is cool.
    Instagram on the other hand........

30. Mimilan

Mimilan

What about the "like" feature here....... It turned this place into a teenage girl social media site.

This is where cut-n-paste cowboys who actually contribute nothing to the hobby start collecting "Likes" by posting copied stuff off the internet.

Maybe the volume of traffic is more important than the quality of traffic.