Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 283 ENGINE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mister E., Feb 27, 2020.

1. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Hi all,
    I am looking for Ideas, tips/tricks, etc.

I found a (said to be) running condition 283 complete engine, and am going to go look it over and make sure its free turning, not locked up.
    Any ideas, tips/tricks for these engines, as far as mating up to SM420 4 speed manual transmission??

I decided to upgrade from the 235 Inline 6 to the next engine, the 283.. while keeping my original 4 speed transmission to keep it time & series appropriate and get a bit more horsepower.

I know some have said that the 235 bell housing will not match up to the 283, So I am looking for an appropriate bell housing that will work without breaking the bank in doing so.

Thank you all in advance.
    Eric

2. What is it going into? that sm420 will mate to any 283 bell. however you need a bell that has ears for sidemounts. The 55 thru 57 car bell has sidemounts as well as the 55 thru 68 truck bellhousing.

3. squirrel

squirrel

probably a 59 pickup.

The 55-59 V8 and 63-67 six/V8 truck bellhousing should work. 60-62 was hydraulic clutch, 68 and later have the large center hole. The later six cylinder engines (250/292 etc) have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the V8.

You'll need the front mount brackets for the engine, and the brackets that were riveted to the frame originally. The exhaust, throttle linkage, some wiring, flywheel, clutch, starter, ignition switch, etc will need to be the V8 versions.

4. Squirrel is correct. you can use the 6 cyl throwout fork in the V8 bell. It can be a bolt in if you have a 59 truck. Im posting pictures of the necessary parts. Iv actually done this swap. I swapped the 261 out of my 57 dump truck for a 307 V8. Get a V8 Truck flywheel that have a 11 inch clutch. You will need the correct Rams horn if you want to keep your generator. You will need the V8 front brackets that bolt to the engine. Those 283,s sometimes have a nylon tooth cam gear. I would pull the oil pan and look for pieces of that gear. It likely needs replaced. 56 chrv truck V8 003.JPG V8 bellhousings 002.JPG V8 bellhousings 006.JPG

Baron, j-jock, Deuces and 4 others like this.

5. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Wow, you are all on the ball!!

Ok, so I just got back with the 283, (no wiring included) :(
    No bell housing included, however they did leave the torque converter etc connected, so thats what I was expecting.
    Motor mounts were rotted they said, but I am sure they are easily found through suppliers.

Anyway, the intake manifold looks crusty, so I plan to remove it, have it checked and cleaned up.
    She with the carb.
    No water pump included, no gooseneck, thermostat housing,
    a few other things, plug wires, plugs still intact has dizzy and coil, , looks like possibly throttle linkage, will have to look in the day light tomorrow.

One thing really concerns me right now, when they loaded it up onto my truck, oil started pouring out of the where the mechanical fuel pump should have been mounted!! My question is WHY?!!
    And should I be alarmed at this??

I am thinking of doing a complete tear down and cleanup, new gaskets, seals, what not...
    What signs should I be looking for and wary of??

Thanks in advance all.

BTW, engine cost was $150.

I will take pictures tomorrow and post them ..

6. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Don't panic. That hole just opens into the crankcase. A lever on the pump rides a lobe (eccentric) on the cam.

Baron, j-jock, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  7. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ok, well that's good to know. Thank you

Baron and Deuces like this.
  8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The "last" fella to come on here with a "75.00 283" had all kinds of issues/problems with his, and it was nickle and dimeing him to death. Have't seen him for a while now; I think he gave up on that 283, and us. Good luck with yours; I have a couple, but everything is brand new with them, plus the little, 57, 265 I have. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Deuces and Mister E. like this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Crappy that they dumped oil all over your truck , but the silver lining is that the engine did have oil in it. :D

Deuces, Roothawg and Mister E. like this.
  10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Yep it has oil in it, thats a good sign for sure.

Pull the intake, oil pan and valve covers check the motor for sludge etc. Good starting point, if you are cheap and dont want to gasket that stuff then, put it in and run it

Mister E. likes this.
  11. He eventually got it running. Stated it ran pretty good.

Kan Kustom, Deuces and Mister E. like this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^I know I saw that, but I also wondered if maybe, to save face, he just said that, and hightailed it outta' Dodge^^^. There's a certain amount of trial and error with any level of learning, but he seemed to be taking two steps forward and three back. I could be wrong, but I think he's gone for good. JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Deuces and Mister E. like this.
  13. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ok, so as I said took pictures and here they are...

Plus, I removed both the exhaust manifolds..
    And the motor mounts (broken as they were)
    Then bought a tarp to cover it until I can get in touch with my neighbor who has a garage and an engine stand that he has offered to help me when he can / as much as he can.

Hoping to catch him to.orrow as the shop was closed today.

Will keep you all posted as how it goes.

And thank you all for your responses. I appreciate all the help I can get from those who have done this before.

Attached Files:

14. Boy,,,,I always liked those 283’ s,,,,,looks really good.

Tommy

15. As long as it was oil coming out the fuel pump hole , and not water, you should be OK. Looks like that motor hasn't seen any modifications, and if the bores and bearings are good, give it a birthday present (gaskets, clean-up), and fire her up! Engine mounts are cheap, so are most bits for these. I have run many 283's over the years, good reliable little mill. Good luck with it all!

Kan Kustom, 325w, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  16. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Thanks,
    I am going to clean her up, new gaskets, seals, water pump, wiring harness, what ever sending units gauges etc that I need for it to be all good.

I can't wait till I can get her finished and hear her fire up :)

Kan Kustom and Deuces like this.
  17. Mimilan

Mimilan

You'll need a truck or 55-57 nose-cone on your starter to fit that Bellhousing.

If you use front mounts you'll need a 4460 fuel pump so the fuel outlet clears the front mount brackets.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-4460

All 283's used a short waterpump, but take note that most aftermarket waterpumps are used on alternator engines [the generator engines w/pumps are slightly different]

So if your engine is an early 283 that had a generator the crank pulley won't line up. This is easily remedied by removing the backing plate off the w/pump and pressing the front pulley flange down a further 1/4"
    The easiest way to tell a Gen from an Alt engine is by the LH exhaust manifold

I can't tell , but your engine looks like it isn't drilled for the front mount on the passenger side .This is a pain to drill and tap.
    At least your engine has the factory PCV [63-66] and also power pack heads

Kan Kustom, Deuces, squirrel and 2 others like this.
  18. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Well, that all sounds good.

How do I tell if it's an alternator engine by THE LH manifold?

The guy I bought it from said it was a 1958 model engine.

19. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

One thing that I forgot to ask,
    When changing to the 283, will I still be able to keep my foot starter?

I do hope that is possible.

20. Mimilan

Mimilan

Your engine is too new for 1958 [the OEM PVC fitting on the back where the draft tube goes on early engine is a giveaway]
    My Guess is a 1965 Impala which had 2 barrel and power pack heads

Here is a Alt bracket LH exhaust manifold
    20200117_140504.jpg
    The alt bolts to a stud on the end of the manifold, with a support bracket to the w/pump
    01.jpg

Here is a Gen bracket LH exhaust manifold
    5.jpg

If you have one of these, the little generator bracket on the side of your 235 bolts directly onto it.

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Cool, you will love this after you get it sorted out.

22. squirrel

squirrel

the heat shields below the spark plugs make me think it might have been in a later car, with the later style manifolds...what do your exhaust manifolds look like?

Also, scrape off the top of the block where the yellow oval is, take a close up pic of the numbers/letters stamped there. And look for a smaller set of letters/numbers on the back of the block, such as A 12 3 that is the date code, let us know what it is.

It's not likely to be a 58 engine, for several reasons.

Kan Kustom and Mister E. like this.
  23. Fordors

Fordors

EB569684-68CE-4481-A325-5B96827C10FB.jpeg

Date code in this photo shows
    A illegible 6, Jan. ? ‘66.

24. squirrel

squirrel

thanks, I missed that. Yes, it looks like a 66 engine....one of the later 283s.

25. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I guess the main point to hit at is one my buddy just did on a 354 Hemi. Re gasketed it, cammed, all cleaned up inside and out, only to fire it up and get a rod knock. Is the 800 bucks at a machine shop to get things 100% on point really that far out of the budget? If you are on a tighter budget, clean it up, gasket things up, give her a fire and see what happens.. If possible drop the extra money and get things done up nice. My SBC in my 53 is from a buddies lil hotrod truck, smokes a bit here and there, probably valve stem seals, but runs strong.. You never know cause my 318 thats in my 56, bought the motor and trans for 350 bucks, drove it for 7 years and about 60k miles without a rebuild. Got it rebuilt to put a larger cam and some freshening up. So you never know man... I know I gave you 2 hard points to ponder, hell just try firing it up before going too deep, no knocks or major smoke, I say win and drive it after re sealing it up.

26. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ok, well my engine does NOT have that setup for gen, so I'm guessing its the alternator version.. (YAY!)

Also, the guy said , and also wrote it on bill o' sale, 1958.. I'm assuming probably impala??

He wasn't forthcoming with that, so...

anyway, I really like my foot starter, so If I can keep that I will be very happy!
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  27. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ok, thanks Squirrell, the guy wasn't as honest about the date/age as I had thought..
    Oh well, at least it isn't stuck and does spin by hand.

I'll go look for those numbers/letters and see if I can clean em up enough for photos.

Thanks

28. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I'm not sure, I am learning as I go, so please be patient. I am not as savvy as all you others lol

I do appreciate all the help in figuring out this mess, as I really want My truck to move a little easier when pulling my camper trailer.
    Any time I have had to move it or anything with any kind of weight, she bogs down massively.

Anyway, thanks

29. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Date code??
    Is this the correct set for date code?

It says from top to bottom.. Tgeres a 1 by it self. Then below it shows
    A 31 6

Thanks

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

January 31st, 1966 is the block casting date. The stamped numbers at the front will provide more info, about the engine.

Chevy used foot starters with the Six, but all the V8s were key start. Sorry.