Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford or Chevy Voltage Regulator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard Reed, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

Hey guys. I am running a single wire GM alternator, GM distributor and Ford (external solenoid and starter) on a 59A flathead. Should I use the GM or Ford voltage regulator? And what year application on either situation should I be looking for? Any brand or part #s would be helpful. Thank you.

2. If you're running a 1 wire GM alternator isn't it internally regulated already?

Budget36, Bandit Billy and LAROKE like this.
  3. LAROKE

LAROKE

If it's a single wire alternator, the voltage regulator is internal in the alternator. No external regulator is required.

olscrounger and Bandit Billy like this.
  4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

No external regulator is needed with a single wire.

olscrounger and Bandit Billy like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

But if you want the car to look neat, put a Ford regulator on the firewall, and run some (dead end) wires from it into the wiring harness. That'll keep folks guessing!

6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

^ This is true. I gutted my regulator and wired my new headlight relay in there. Connected the relay leads to the regulator posts inside the can and connected the wiring to my headlights (dimmer switch) to where the old generator wiring would attach to the posts outside. I've had people comment on it wondering...wth?
    thumbnail.jpg

AVater, Budget36, 41rodderz and 4 others like this.
  7. brading

brading

If it is just for looks gut the regulator. Make sure terminals A and B are not connected to earth or terminal F. Put a suitable size internal bridge wire between A and B. Now connect a new suitable size wire the same colour as the old generator wire between the alternator and the A terminal. Do the same from the B terminal to the starter solenoid, and a dummy wire from an earth point on the alternator the F terminal. That will have folks guessing.

8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^:)
    upload_2020-2-28_7-59-37.jpeg

AChopped1950ford likes this.
  9. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

Hey Guys,
    DUH!!! I must have had a senior moment. You are all correct. It does have an internal regulator. Thank you for your input in any case.
    Richard

10. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

what just happened....?

11. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Faux wiring??? Okay...

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some would suggest that falls into the "poser" category.

13. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, guilty of faux wiring, though not sure if it falls into "poser" category. Whatever. Dreamed of owning a '32 roadster since the early '50s, and most pictured in magazines had a chrome regulator, sooo early in the build I knew mine would have one. Just can't simply hang it on the firewall without some wiring. :)

Budget36 likes this.
  14. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you have a alternator with a remote regulator I use a Chrysler electronic unit on fords or chevys.

15. If a guy really wants a regulator for looks, why not use the alternator that goes with it, then it will really look genuine.

16. Terrible80

Terrible80