Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. atch

atch

I had never noticed the step in prior pix. Ingenious.

2. AmishMike

AmishMike

^^^ see the step now, nice. Left foot on it from the back then swing up & over? Still think my exhaust pipe idea would look better but “to each his own”. Love the build

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yes headers would be kool but this build has been based on the kiss principle keep it simple stupid!

4. AmishMike

AmishMike

Remember - they are never done. & in the coming South Dakota winter you might want to tinker & make it better

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yeah thanks for the advise. I have tons more to do that's for sure.

brEad likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Holy shit lol rusty rocket for the most patience on earth. I’d have thrown a bless your heart out at least

King ford, brEad and brad2v like this.
  7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Haha! I’m just going to go with the flow.

brEad, brad2v and Tim like this.
  8. Looks and sounds great man! Nice job!

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

So I'm thinking the state is going to want me to have a rear view mirror so this is what I'm thinking. The little housing is a 1951 mercomatic steering column gear indicator. I bought an el cheapo plastic bugeye mirror and put it in the end I also epoxied a sex nut in the inside so I can attach it to the body. The really crazy part is the taper of the part and the body are just about spot on. I dont know how functional it will be but if the
    state says it has to have a mirror well there's a mirror. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

scott27, Jet96, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  10. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

That’s pretty small! You may have to point that out to the LEO!

11. RodStRace

RodStRace

Quick search shows this
    https://ecomodder.com/wiki/Mirror_Laws_by_State_(U.S.)#South_Dakota
    "Rear-vision mirrors required--Visibility distance--Violation as petty offense. Every motor vehicle entitled to be licensed in South Dakota shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of such vehicle, whether operated singly or towing another vehicle. A violation of this section is a petty offense."

You might want to go through this link
    https://www.dmv.org/sd-south-dakota/automotive-law/vehicle-code.php
    which refers to Title 32 which is here
    https://sdlegislature.gov/Statutes/Codified_Laws/DisplayStatute.aspx?Type=Statute&Statute=32
    and this sub section VEHICLE AND ACCESSORY SPECIFICATIONS
    https://sdlegislature.gov/Statutes/Codified_Laws/DisplayStatute.aspx?Type=Statute&Statute=32-15

Of course, the typical deal is that you don't have to add anything that was required AFTER the date of manufacture. Common things like two tail lights, light height, safety and emissions equipment, etc.

You should already have a 'feel' for the local law's level of enforcement. Most places I've lived had a fairly lax vehicle code judgement, especially when said vehicle was obviously older, well maintained and not a sole means of transportation (hot rod). There have been some cases of Barney Fife hard liners, but it's usually rare.

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Hey thanks for all the leg work. I'm trimming a new home owned by a local city policeman, I was going to ask him what he thought.
    Years ago I got picked up 15 minutes after I had gotten my Yamaha xs650 street tracker on the road. I met mr. Popo on a two lane and he whipped around thinking the bike was full race because it had a number plate on the front. After he got behind me he realized it had a tail light and licenses plate. So his reason for stopping me was no rear view mirror.:p

Jet96 and RodStRace like this.
  13. RodStRace

RodStRace

I'd ask him what vehicle code book applied to a 1931 cHEvy that could be used against yourself.
    I wasn't able to find anything online in a couple minutes.
    If you do run across a Barney, I'd like to have an old vehicle code book tucked away to reference as necessary. Maybe in the local library, newspaper morgue or the state itself.
    The Classic and custom car registration stuff in your state seems a little (OK, a LOT) too restrictive. Hope you got regular plates.

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

No actually I'm putting 1931 year of make plated on it.

Outback likes this.
  15. Damn fine work, Rocket, what a hell of a ride! enjoying always the whole thread!

Stogy likes this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I found a set of South Dakota 1931 plates so now I can run year of make plates on the car. Front brackets are going to be a piece of cake to build but the back Is another story. Being the car is so small space is at a premium. I had to build a bracket that bolts to the frame goes around the rear spring and fits in between the rear nerf bar. 681A328B-B681-4EA2-8C7B-02D7B46BC46D.jpeg C847678F-F4F2-4C98-900A-A729E94C545E.jpeg

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

C1FC6BEE-7718-4F0C-9219-DF298C74FF83.jpeg 0B18B107-71DA-4FD5-A725-EE0C8E5B3A8C.jpeg I built some interior panels the last few days. They really don’t do much but give the car a bit of race car vibe.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    slv63, chryslerfan55, brEad and 9 others like this.
  18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have my front plate mounts built and installed for my 1931 plates. I used a piece of 1/8” stainless steel just a bit bigger than the plate to put behind it to give it some backing both front and rear. These plates are to valuable to get bent up. D2FC3206-BAA3-4023-AF1A-F3AA9CC2D9AA.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Getting ready for our yearly indoor car-show. I have it cleaned up as good as it’s going to get for an unfinished car. I always liked the look of the old school cars with the firestone painted tires, I had some ivory one-shot so I gave the tires a painting.
    My pops is going to put his barn find 50 ford club coupe in the show as well. We are going to put his car in front of mine with El Mirage or bust shoe polished in the back window and a tow bar laying between the cars. Haha should be kool. D95D3921-4299-49AC-842C-0F70DCCE4D90.jpeg F118B874-1F3A-4C8D-A2AC-EE46AE6A234B.jpeg

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome Job Rusty...Big Thumbs up from this front row seat...Are you going to run Hood Sides?

21. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Well my first thought was to run side curtains but with all the stuff hanging off the side of the motor( generator,distributer,exhaust manifold) it would be tuff but not impossible to do. To me it's sort of kool to see I bit of the motor but you really have to look to see that it's a flathead, and being the radiator is on the small side it will help dissipate heat not having sides. The one thing that really wants me to run them though is so I could do the old school flame paint job you photoshopped.

Outback, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Id L' Do Sketched onto the Cowl area looks awesome by the way...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ha ha ha, good ole sharpie!!!!!!!!

brEad, Stogy and Tim like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FlaminSingle2.jpg

FlaminSingle1.jpg

:rolleyes:...Just an inspiration...I really think ones with speed bumps/blisters and louvers as required rock...looking at this solid flame color with a couple of mini licks or openings in flame would look awesome...Great job Rusty...;)

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Outback, chryslerfan55, brEad and 2 others like this.
  25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That does look kool! I have only driven the car about five miles at this point in time and the temps were in the high 30s low 40s. I will have to see how she cools once the temps outside get higher and I get more miles on it. That will dictate if I can put side curtains on it.
    Thanks for tho photo work.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Rusty...I think it fits either way...I am pretty sure they ran these in all configs...with or without...run whatcha got...did you see the Stylized Eagle in the hood...oh yeah...I really gotta say it again...you really done an amazing job with this track stormer...

27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I did see that but didn't know what it was.
    My pops thinks I need to do a shooting star or comet and vapor trail off the 46 ford fender body line. Haha.

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's really more the beak and head and just swooping back into the other swoopiness...

Regarding the fender detail...matches the contour of the flame/lick in the upper cowl area...and it would be mirrored on the right side...

I actually used my original flames from earlier in this thread and stretched and contoured them to fit...I am excited for your every move on this racer...

Stars are popular for the time too...wishing for Victory on a Shooting Star...;)

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FlaminSingle3.jpg

:rolleyes:...One more...

Just highlighted the Upper Hood Eagle area a bit more and Added some Shooting Stars and Dzus Hood Fasteners...Sorry you may have mentioned a body color but I don't remember...What were you thinking Rusty...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    GirchyGirchy, chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  30. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

The red L is a nice touch.