Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sacramento law

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19cafmwb34, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19cafmwb34

19cafmwb34

Just had one of my sons Who is the truck driver asked me if it’s true in Sacramento county you cannot work on your own vehicle? Also if this right wondering if they enforce this law?

2. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Don't know about Sacramento, but I live a couple of hours south and in my city you cant work on your car in your driveway. Only in your garage , my neighbor got a ticket for doing a oil change in his driveway . I don't think its enforced much , but something to be aware of.

3. 5window

5window

Is that a city-wide ordnance or a HOA rules?
    Glad I live in the country.
    Sent from my moto g(6) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

lothiandon1940 and sidevalve8ba like this.

5. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Its city wide no HOA where I am.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - learn something new every day - not always good

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

I saw a thread here a while back on the subject...I guess it was last summer when the Jalopnik story came out? I can't find it now.

Seems like a wonderful place to live.

8. 54vicky

54vicky

we have same up here pretty well everywhere thankfully not enforced heavily unless you piss off one your neighbors :rolleyes:

bill gruendeman and bobss396 like this.
  9. Andy K and 5window like this.
  10. scotts52

scotts52

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

Sacramento has been working hard to elevate its stature in the state since it is the capital but is much smaller than L.A. and ‘Frisco. City leaders are bound and determined to make it a hip, green “destination” city. It’s always had a lot of hot rod activity and some large car clubs so it makes me wonder how this policy got in without a strong reaction from the rodding community. I guess it goes to show what can happen if you don’t pay attention to what’s going on in local government.
    Sacramento county is pretty big, it also makes me wonder if the owners of the farms and ranches in the outskirts are aware that they must service their equipment inside the garage or barn.
    Pretty sad.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It's probably not aimed at the casual hobbyist or do it yourself'er slapping brake pads on the Daughter's driver on a Sat AM.
    It's going after the guy who's running an auto repair shop out of his home, or the guy who tears apart and old truck to start building a prerunner on his driveway and it ends up sitting there for years for all to see.
    "Ol Charlie" repairing cars or doing body work&paint for all of his neighbors and "friends" at his home garage has it made. The Wife works a 9-5 which gets him benefits/health insurance. He doesn't have to work for anyone else. He sets his own rules, hours and prices. He sets his hours, can play his music, smoke and even drink when he works.
    He has great intentions, but may get sloppy about keeping things quiet and tidy. People like to sleep in a bit on Saturdays and Sundays not hear his impact gun waking them up at 7:00AM (or PM). A disgruntled customer or a jealous (9-5) neighbor that wasn't impressed with the fact that Charlie bragged he made $1000 tax free yesterday on that F-150 transmission job turns him in. Next thing you know there's a neighborhood drive by the green goody-goody's to establish a HOA "to keep this from happening again".

Next thing the city and probably CAL OSHA pay a visit and shut him down. Tax man gets involved because they want their cut of auto work to come to them through licensed shops. Fire dept gets called in to check on a "hazmat situation" and levies fines for violations too.

Problem is that these scenes creates blanket laws that hurt the guy who has a few friends over to do an engine swap or block sand the project in the driveway and catch a few rays and have a few beers, on a weekend before they roll the car back in the garage.

In CA, lawmakers are monkey see/monkey do. A city passes this, the County follows suit. I imagine it'll go State wide the way things usually go. CA has become very car unfriendly-especially "old clunkers".

bchctybob likes this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Crankster Auto inc. would kind of concern me if it was next to me. Hamb Inc., welcome to the hood....

14. seems like a bit of "government over-reach". In Minneapolis, they are trying their best to make it a green city as well. Bike lanes & roundabouts have taken over everywhere. The roads are just about wide enough for a Prius & a Smart car, but on or the other still has to yield. So far, the city hasn't tried to restrict what we do in our own driveway

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

My in-laws live in Woodland (Yolo county, near Sacramento). I have been quite surprised to see so many project vehicles sitting in people's driveways. With the CA weather, I guess it's not all that uncommon to work on vehicles in your driveway.

Here in Nebraska, we do see some project cars in driveways, but it's far more difficult to work on them during the winter and colder weather months.

16. I saw where a lawmaker in Calif. was going to introduce a bill to outlaw gas operated lawn equiptment.

17. All I can do is shake my head. By the time loss of rights gets to this point ya might as well move out, cuz ya can't fix stupid.

raven, Gasser 57, Gangrene and 5 others like this.
  18. One local guy, blatantly ran a repair shop out of his rented house, was given a $30,000 fine. One I work with, his neighbors call code enforcement on anything he does. I'm a little remote so nobody bothers me. I have 2 cars in the driveway (both OT) that will be junked soon. Anything else I do is put away when I'm done with it. No junk laying around.

19. spook498

spook498

One of the articles I read about this, was that the city was worried about improper hazwaste disposal, environmental concerns, etc. The last sentence of the article (which had talked about guys rebuilding cars as a business) was that it would also cut down on people not paying taxes for a commercially operated business. For me, that summed up the entire reason.

lurker mick likes this.
  20. bchctybob

bchctybob

No matter the reason it still bugs me that they over react to things and apply blanket laws that hurt us all without some public dialogue. One knucklehead shouldn’t cause everyone in a community to lose their property rights. There has to be better ways to deal with the occasional gross offender than blanket laws. That $30,000 fine for example. I don’t play or care about golf but I would defend my neighbors right to practice putting in his yard if the city deemed it hazardous and tried to outlaw it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Driver50x likes this.
  21. 19cafmwb34

19cafmwb34

I couldn’t agree more there got to be a better way than a “blanket law”the way this one is written.If you can prove the car your working on is personally owned buy you the home owner than WTF. Sounds like whats really happens is the authorities are now pickin and choosein who they will target- sounds bad to me.

Gangrene likes this.
  22. 5window

5window

When I bought my farm, I only got 11 acres, but all the buildings for a 150 acre operation. So, I have two big barns, an 80x38 machine shed and a garage. Sold my haying equipment last summer, so I have more than enough space to park the 4 cars and a tractor that I currently have. I like it fairly neat, there's folks who collect scrap metal and the township is pretty much laid back for policing,so far.

kidcampbell71 and bchctybob like this.
  23. Hot Rods to Hell pretty well nailed it.....took me about two years to get a mechanic and detail shop next door renting a house removed - they were pretty slick and knew how to operate in evening hours to late night on the mechanic side and the detail during the day - behind a closed gate. Finally after getting caught a few times after hours by code compliance we were able to get them out. Why did it take sooo long - the landlord didn't see the problem - he saw it when he took over possession of it and sold it shortly after.

24. Another guy I worked with painted cars on the side. He said he gave his neighbors a break on their work to keep them quiet...

25. It's the future guys. Anything that happens in California floats East like a Cabbage laden fart.:eek:

26. Gangrene

Gangrene

Sounds like more left coast bullshit to me.

uncle buck, raven, Andy K and 2 others like this.
  27. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

It’s all good until the cranksters move in

olscrounger likes this.
  28. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Sounds like they should build some "Re-education" camps for Kalifornia law makers :D

bchctybob, raven, Gasser 57 and 2 others like this.
  29. I can see both sides. In fact, I was contributing to the opposite side when I first moved into my house. I took the attitude "I own this place so I can do anything I want". Filled up my little 1 car garage with a Henry J project and a 32 ford pickup project turned sideways at the front of the garage.
    Then I got a smokin deal on a 50 Lincoln Lido coupe. Pulled that baby right up in my front yard and threw a tarp over it. My next door neighbor was horrified and my wife wasn't too happy either. I saw the error of my ways and sold off everything that was stored outside.

30. Andy K

Andy K

bchctybob, TagMan, Gangrene and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.