Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Suggestions for front signal lights for my 1935 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Do it Over, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I need to install signal/parking lights on the front of my 35 Ford 5W and would like to see what's others are using. I'm running a sealed beam conversion so a reflector with a yellow light isn't an option. I also don't want to cut on or install on my headlights unless it's something very small. I'm trying to build a late 50's theme mild custom.

Thanks
    Leon

2. I always liked era correct fog or driving lights attached to the bumper.

Charlie Stephens

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me the turn lights in the headlights look too frigging street roddy.
    I'm with Charlie in that a pair of proper size lights that outwardly look like fog lights or driving lights and look period correct mounted in the right spots on the bumper would look right and be sneaky.

town sedan and fiftiescat like this.
  4. If you are looking for something small and bright- the motorcycle aftermarket has a lot of options available- something small with a smoked lense and a bright LED could be discreetly mounted but show up well when lit up in use.
    The fog light idea is a good one though that would look right provided you are running a front bumper

5. 9200 IH

9200 IH

Ron Francis has some nice lights in different sizes and shapes. They are called Bright Lites I think. I put a small set on my 37 Plymouth under the headlight. They are very small and bright and match the shape of the headlight bucket.

Do it Over likes this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

What ever you use give it some serious thinking . I’m all about the the look , my Buddy has a super nice 34 5W Coupe , nice round headlights , and two square turn signals mounted to the bumper . I am like are you kidding me , who in there right mind would do this ? It just kills the look of the car to me . I am not to wise on the 35 . Are there horn covers in the front fenders? I have seen lights hidden behind these covers , but not sure what year this was used on .

upspirate and fiftiescat like this.
  7. Blown35

Blown35

I'm with running the turn lights behind the horn screens!
    IMG_00000116.jpg

8. The fog lights idea works well and then can be converted to as serve turn signals, but would look odd without a bumper.

The idea of mounting turn signals inside the original horns is also a good idea but they are not often seen on a hot rod, they are usually seen on a restored type of car.

The only thing I can think of has already been mentioned and that would be some sort of small unobtrusive motorcycle signals mounted under the edge of the front fenders, I don't think you would want to cut the fenders to add signals. HRP

9. I realize you have seal beam conversion, but this is what I did on my highboy with '35 - 37 commercial headlights:

Used Bob Drake reflector with halogen conversion. Used a spade bit to make hold for turn signal socket. Now, I don't like that Amber bulb inside headlight lens. I bought 1157 Amber bulbs that have a chrome coating like a state troopers sunglasses.
    They don't show when they are not lit, but glow Amber when flashing.

Phil

10. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

I personally am not a fan of turn signals....

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  11. Rusty J

Rusty J

I'm building a 39 Chev and (so far) planning on using a set of flatline clear amber marker lights (trux accessories)that function as both marker and signal lights. The thought is to cut the shape into the bumper recess and bumper guard design to minimize their appearance and using an epoxy to create a smooth outer surface to match the bumper surface. I've also been looking in the junk yards at all the new cars with their led lights integrated into lights and mirrors - there's a lot of creative options available now, just use your imagination - but definitely do not use those bolt on square turn signals - so 80's/90's and thoughtless.
    Secondly: consider a 3rd brake light - I've noticed more lately while in traffic that people don't seem to notice the (usually tiny and dim) taillights as much - must be used to seeing that 3rd light - and again there's some neat options in the junk yards that can be incorporated into your design (Fusions have a nice thin style that can be incorporated into the interior rear window trim so it looks like it was made that way). Have fun!

David Gersic and Do it Over like this.
  12. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

1936 had horn grilles. 1935 had the horns exposed. My horns will be under the hood. That's a good idea though.
    Thanks

13. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Fan or not here in NYC they are a necessity.

14. ...used small truck clearance lites on my 37...
    37 cpe 4-14=12 006.jpg

Do it Over likes this.
  15. Can't remember what I did on the '35 fordor. I think I mounted some little pony(?) lites from Speedway where the (removed) horns bolted to the fenders. Another option would be inside the grill shell, which is a horrendous PIA to remove with the radiator and fenders in place.

16. Also got to meet nyc regs.

17. upspirate

upspirate

I used these as I don't go to swap meets anymore to get the old original similar style.
    Drag Specialties accessories from a Harley shop.
    They are small, LED but don't look it and are brighter and fit the car better than the square"street rod" lights that were on it IMG_0646.JPG IMG_0645.JPG IMG_0644.JPG

jimmy six, B Bay Barn and Torana68 like this.
  18. upspirate

upspirate

Just noticed the headlights were made in USA that were used on this old build!

19. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As mentioned above there are very small and bright LED lights available for motorcycles. These come in black and could easily be mounted discretely but still work very effectively.

20. How about a picture of your car (especially from the front)?

Charlie Stephens

upspirate likes this.
  21. I was on a tour with several members of my car club. We came to a split in the freeway and the person in front had us in the wrong lane. I put on my turn signal and the person behind (in a modern car) let me in. The guy in our club a couple of cars back didn't have turn signals. Last I saw he was headed down the wrong freeway. I don't remember if we ever saw him again.

Charlie Stephens

22. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

20190623_201523.jpg 20190623_201538.jpg

1935streetrod and reagen like this.
  23. upspirate

upspirate

24. upspirate

upspirate

I'd adapt the 36 horn grills or the other lights...both in this pic.
    If you won't be using bumpers, maybe lights in those bracket holes with 36 grilles? 14173938-1936-ford-coupe-std.jpg

25. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Thinking that would be a cool idea.

26. leon bee

leon bee

Jeezus, that's a good looking car.

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I know you want to make them as unobtrusive as possible, but make sure you put them in an area where they can be seen. Too low and a lot of folks will never notice them, hid behind a grill they might not be bright enough in bright sunlight. I personally think off the inside of the headlight stand is a good compromise on that car, high enough to be noticed and in an area that would catch attention when they are on.

28. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Yes

29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I use motor cycle lights for rear signals. Single element bulbs but easy to change to dual element or buy them new. Mine were used from a local repair shop. Made up some sheet metal mounts that use bumper bolts.
    IMG_20170516_153957_154.jpg IMG_20170516_153957_154.jpg

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  30. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY