Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Blasphemi

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sdluck, Dec 24, 2019.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I plan to put my 354 Dodge in my 63 Impala, guess some people just ain't right. :eek:

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A "popper"?:eek:

mad mikey likes this.
  3. wvenfield

wvenfield

I noted this before but my buddy put my old Pontiac 316 into his Nomad. I'm sure that will piss off more than a few.

nomad.jpg

4. error404

error404
    from CA

I don't care what engine is in what vehicle. So long as it works!

I put a Japanese industrial diesel engine in my 46 Willys, along with other parts from all kinds of cars. :)

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So if I tug it myself I'm better? Asking for a friend...;)

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

"You will go blind if you keep doing that"

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

How dare he!

BBNiaeX.jpeg Mike-Finnegan-in-Blasphemi-at-Hot-Rod-Drag-Week-2019-Photo-by-John-Schultz-678x381.jpg 002-finnegan-hoonigan-chase-roadkill-gasser-showdown-kall-out-kings-1.jpg

There's not a red-blooded HAMBer in this forum that wouldn't love to rip this car for all it's worth down the 1/4.

Sonofabob, Elcohaulic, Baumi and 24 others like this.
  8. nothing wrong with a tin indian mill. I think had it really been 1962 the Grafitti 55 would of had a dual 4 bbl 421 super Duty Pontiac engine. Finnigan and Co. tried to build pretty much stock engines for his dream car firebird. and every one was a complete failure.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. error404

error404
    from CA

some folks are just turned off by folks that spend more $ than they do. I get it I guess. But it's all still cool cars to me :)

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and Old wolf like this.
  10. You correct in most cases the fastest cars and those who win the most races no matter if it stock cars , drag racer ect. are the ones who spend the most money. Every once in a while someone like Garlits or smokey would come along and show them how its supposed to be done. We had such a guy here. Had a farm shop at Portia Ar. bored a hemi into the water jackets and installed farm tractor sleeves. He won the winternationals. Built stock car engines that could turn 10 grand all day. 283 cranks in a 400 block. His name was Jerry Flippo. He passed away last year

Desoto291Hemi and raven like this.
  11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Not claiming to be a historian nor do I know the whole story of anyone else but myself BUT one thing I am certain of... there aren't rules about how to get to the staging lanes... just class rules.

I've casually watched Finnegan, through his social media and such, struggle get this car not only competitive but running right. He genuinely seems to love that car and it's taken a while for it to get there. I respect that.

It's a real race car, too, not a pile of pretty parts assembled for TV or SEMA.

The disdain or absurd qualifications we put on others is something that's completely unnecessary. Let's not do that anymore.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    rod1, Tman, chryslerfan55 and 13 others like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I guess I have failed to grasp the argument.
    More succinctly, why is there an argument?
    People have money and talent, they spend it on what makes them happy, people who don't........don't.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  13. Cheetahman

Cheetahman

just remember kids, there is always sumbuddy that's gonna have a better lookin' girlfriend than you, more money than you and a bigger d**k. than you., Finn's car is badass, and who knows , he might fit that last category too.

impala4speed, Thor1, scotty t and 6 others like this.
  14. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

o_O Perplexed :p

A.J. is another one of those ain't right people :D that will love it ;)

er um are you gonna use a push button torque flight apart trans too :rolleyes:

mad mikey and saltflats like this.
  15. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Not to many Put the time to learn how to build / work on there own projects, not all big power combo's are big $$$.
    Im a fan of 400 sbc destoked or stroked or just bigger bore , $5,000-7,000 600-700 hp @ fly wheel . Same with BBC 427-500 cubs ,
    Stock LS1 with stock LS6 cam & heads 7 psi of boost , around 700 hp . EFI or carb . best bang for $ & reliable. 2jz straight 6 , stock long block will hold 1,000 hp but yr @ the limit ,up grade injectors 800-1,000 cc , 60-75 mm turbo , cam change ..400 - .420 lift cams , 650-800 hp.
    But you have to have will to learn & not farm out , you do not have to have a lot of bling bling parts 10:000 et , weight plays a factor into this, under 3,500

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No I was thinking a TH400. ;)

mad mikey and Tickety Boo like this.
  17. I would rather have the hemi than a 348.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  18. Put a stick in it All real hot rods have three pedals

scotty t and -Brent- like this.
  19. 68shortwide

68shortwide

Being a new guy around these parts I've never interacted with Squirrel, but from this thread and watching/following the Drag week coverage this is my belief.
    • Squirrel's early comments show great modesty and an example of humbleness that a lot of racers lack.
    • Finnegan and his friend worked their ass off to keep the car running and participating. The effort put into the venture requires respect more than any parts cost or sponsorship that he may have.
    • Yes, Freiburger will shove MotorTrend and Roadkill down the throats of anyone listening on the broadcast. It's his job, literally. It's Hot Rod Drag Week, and Hot Rod is published by MotorTrend.
    • Just because he has a bunch of money and parts thrown on the car doesn't make it fast. It's fast because Finnegan is a true car guy that puts an incredible amount of time into his car to make it the best it can be, just like the rest of us. He had no pit crew. His pit crew were other racers that were doing the same exact journey that he was on. It's what Drag Week's about.
    • As far as the hemi in a Chevy shaming, laughable at best considering 70% of this board probably has a sb/bbc in a ford or dodge or other manufacturer.

Why tear another guy down because he's not a Hamb'r, or his car has EFI and a fancy blower?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Baumi, LM14, chryslerfan55 and 11 others like this.
  20. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

348-409 Valve covers or Hemi Valve covers to look at, :cool: that could be a hard decision for some that ain't right :D Maybe you guys had too much eggnog :D and will be better after the holidays lol

I know Salty has some 409 stuff in his dumpster :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  21. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Salty, got an early 700R4 a while back for free, if you want it let me know

saltflats likes this.
  22. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I talked to both guys on Drag Week, and raced it. First off both guys were great guys to talk to, but when we talk about the cars we are comparing apples to oranges. Squirrels car was built like you could in 1966, he told me all parts could be bought in 1966. Freiburgers car has a lot of newer go fast parts, like EFI. At the end of the day, they are 2 guys that like cars and racing, and I will enjoy seeing and talking with both of them again.
    Tony

dan31, 55Belairman, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well there you go with logic and candor, just when it was gettin fun...;)

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would put a 409 in it, but I have been building them for my race car and don't have an extra one.:(
    As far as 3 pedals goes, this won't be a hot rod. Picture a street freak tow car. :eek: :D

mad mikey likes this.
  25. Terrible80

Terrible80

I don't understand the controversy about motor manufacturer matching body. ( Ford in Ford, etc.). One of the innovative gentlemen referred to earlier stated," An engine doesn't know what it says on the valve cover." I can kinda understand the SBC haters mindset , but can't agree with it. The Roadkill guys found a way to make a living playing with cars- good for them.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, 19Eddy30 and mad mikey like this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

well....1966, but yeah, mine was built quite differently than any other car on Drag Week.

Thanks

27. So far ive never owned a HEMI. Just one of those things that never had any opportunity. JD Haygood a friend of mine Raced Rail Dragsters in the 60,s. Been on the Cover of Hot Rod. He is 83 and has a good sized hoard. And he collected all the Chrysler products that where available in the area. and he had a 15 year head start on me. I used to make regular trips to the scrap yard even worked there for a year. and bought lots of engines. never once seen a HEMI sold for scrap. There wherr hundreds of Y block and other fords and small block chevys. 318 polys and everything else but nary a HEMI.

Elcohaulic and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Back in the day IVO had the dollars and loved nailheads. However He got tired of losing and eventually got a HEMI.

29. 34Larry

34Larry

I don't think you got my drift wolf man. BFD was meant to be sarcastic to your comment "Blashemi relaay isn't a traditional Hamb vehicle."