Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Mallory distributor, model K, type 13, 4 cyl, Model A Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by guam2250, Nov 29, 2019.

1. guam2250

guam2250

Hello. This distributor has a vacuum operated "brake" on the lower plate with the centrifugal weights. Supposed to help retard spark at low rpm? Model B Ford had no brake, just centrifugal weights. What performance difference would there be if the "brake" was not used? Thanks

2. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

3. guam2250

guam2250

Goodness, you are correct. Now I understand, and then some. Thanks so much! Basically, what I have here is an early step in the progress towards more efficient use of fuel, timing etc. For my purposes, of messing with some early modifications to stock Model A and B set-ups, I'm going to leave well enough alone. Not interested in changing too much, I'm going to stay with the Mallory model C, type 11 I found that employs centrifugal mechanical advance, retains the spark lever from the column, the large armored ign. cable, and won't be outrunning the mechanical brakes! Really appreciate the article. Thanks again.

4. RussTee

RussTee

Great answer and in plain language