Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bringing my 39 back to life

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nailhead Jason, May 8, 2016.

1. Got the rest of my black parts painted and ready to go in, column tube and drop, horn button, trans cover panel and the wind shield frame. Got the Drop reassembled and installed with the column tube and got the column switch wired up. Finally got to bolt the banjo wheel on, and its looking pretty good.
    20190817_145903.jpg 20190818_161014.jpg 20190818_161001.jpg

2. finally get to put one of the shift knobs on that I got from @jimmygrrr it matches the factory knobs almost perfect.

20190825_192353.jpg

3. Then I decided to go ahead and put the glass in the windshield frame...….that didn't go so well. I got it almost all the together and it decided to crack. I lubed it up really good and got it pretty close but just not quite. using a rubber mallet to pound it together. as much as this sucks I am hoping this is the one big failure in getting this thing all back together. Looks like im ordering another windshield and might just take it to the glass shop to have it put together. hoping this is my biggest set back.

20190825_221227.jpg

4. Big updates coming. Been attacking this thing like a mad man. The exhaust is all done, engine wired up and ready to go. Got the cam broke in this last Sat, and got basic tuning set yesterday. Busting my hump to get it done for Old North State Invitational and for TROG. I have 2 weeks to get it done for Old North, and then TROG is the next weekend. The list aint short, but its getting crossed off quickly. Ill get some pics up tonight after work. and try and get the video of it running posted.

5. So I had a problem with the tri-power set up I was going to run. I never looked at the intake ports on the head flanges. And of course one of the ports was Bradley corroded out. It can be fixed, but I'm 9n a time crunch, so I swapped it out for a 4 barrel intake and edelbrock carb I had kicking around.

Attached Files:

6. Also it was really tight against the firewall with the distributor. So to remedy that, I swapped out the oil pan back to a steel one so I could get the clearance need at the front crossmember to lower the motor back down on the spacers. Dropping the motor down gave me another inch almost of space. 20190906_143429.jpg

7. With the motor dropped down some and clearance gained at the firewall, I could fab up the exhaust. Got it snaked around the steering box and pedals using a pile of 2 inch J bends from speedway and some 2 inch exhaust flanges. Once welded up, I wrapped them in exhaust heat wrap a d put it all back in with the 24 inch glass packs. With time running short I just made some turnouts in front of the rear wheels. I'll trim the tips to the appropriate length once the running boards are back on. Has a great a great old hot rod sound with the 097 cam.
    20190907_212838.jpg 20190907_235914.jpg 20190907_235919.jpg 20190908_161315.jpg 20190908_151146.jpg

8. Got the cam broke in last sat and some base running done on sunday. The radiator leaks like a sieve. But I should have a replacement for it tomorrow, plus I'm gonna drop this one off and have it re cored and all sealed up.

9. Last night I got the glass in the doors replaced and about half done with changing the drivers quarter window. Steady progress, but I have a ton to get done by the 26th of Sept to head to the Old North State Invitational. It will be close but I get it there!

10. Sounds great, Jason. Love it!:)

loudbang and Nailhead Jason like this.
  11. Got some material coming to cover the running boards with. Hope you like white diamond tuck...

12. ..........Personally, I don't, but that's why there's more than one flavor of ice cream.:D;)

13. the white Diamond tuck is way cheaper than new covers right now, and way better than rusty running boards with no rubber left on them.

14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

so this is where i find all the progress photos that have never been sent to me... im hurt...

its gonna be a bad ass car for sure.. i mean, well, atleast as bad ass as you can get with a SBC, white diamond tuck, and a broken windshield. Better keep tugging along.. on the car, not yourself, and get that fucker down here!

15. @hotrodderhaag It may be at your shop on a trailer on the 27th to get you fuckers to help me button it up!

16. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

just bring your wood screws

17. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to be a bit of a contortionist bolting the grill shell to the fenders through the headlight hole. Or maybe its just me , drop a bolt ,try again drop it a few more times to get the assembly bolted together.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. You ain't kidding!! I have had then on and off a few times so it should be ok, but man...taking it apart was a chore. I broke 3/4 of the bolts on disassembly.

See ya at TROG Bryan!!

19. Huge thanks to @A_Burly_Wind for hooking me up with a new Radiator so I can make it to Old North and TROG!! I'd be dead in the water without this!!! 20190918_213637.jpg

20. No problem dude!

21. Got the new windsheild in the frame successfully last night, and installed today. Yesterday I also got the alignment all dialed in (I think) as well as the mounts of my steering arms cut down a little and thinned the bolt heads so I could actually hit the steering stops and not be cut short and have to do 98 point turns everywhere.
    20190921_125142.jpg 20190921_194620.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  22. Spent most of today getting everything wrapped up, greased and ready to test drive in the morning. My son Aiden helped me get the brakes all bled. And he stripped and painted the running boards for their coming new covers.

Then I went over then entire chassis and made sure everything was tight and installed about 1000 cotter pins.

Finally I got all the wheels put back on it, had them balanced yesterday, and set back down on all 4 tires for the first time in 3 years. The stance looks awesome and cant wait ti roll it outside in the morning!! I'm 6 foot 2 inches and the top off the roof is right an my knose. Test drive tomorrow!! FULL ON THRASH IS IN EFFECT!! 20190921_223048.jpg 20190921_223106.jpg 20190921_232627.jpg

23. Good luck with the shake down today, Jason. You've been working your butt off. Time now for some fun!:)

24. She needs some fine tunning with the clutch and the timing....but she drives!!! First time in 42 years it has moved under it's own power!

25. Lots more left to do, still need some tuning to get it running right but nothing major. Got the rear seat covered and installed, and doing the front seat to night as well as covering the running boards and hopefully getting them installed. Once those are on then I can get the front fenders on and the hood as well. Running down to the wire but im feeling good for Old North State this Sat!!

26. Looks great. Another one back on the road! Best of luck this Saturday.

dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  27. Did some ignition troubleshooting, I think the points mat be the culprit. Gonna pick up some NOS gm points from a friend tomorrow and try swapping those in.

sidevalve8ba and chryslerfan55 like this.