Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC pilot needle bearing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuce666, Sep 5, 2019.

1. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Thanks in advance for your help.
    I have a small block chevy with a T-10 4-speed out of the car. While the flywheel and pressure plate were off, I decided to swap out the pilot bushing with a pilot (needle) bearing. I used a GM part number and cross referenced to a Timken bearing 57060.
    the two sides of the Timken bearing are different (see two attached pics). I'm wondering if it matters which way to install this in the end of the crankshaft. I'm leaning towards installing so the side in pic "timken01" faces towards the input shaft and "timken02" faces to the front of the engine.
    Anyone know the right way to install these? does it matter?
    thanks again

Attached Files:

2. I've never seen any service information that indicates which way to install it but I've always put them in smooth side towards trans. My personal opinion though, I'd put a bushing in instead. I've seen far too many bearings cause damage to the input shaft. Once the bearing loses it lubrication, it starts to chew stuff up fast. A bushing with oil squeezed into it lasts much longer and seldom damages the input shaft.

P.s. I'm a journeyman auto mechanic and have seen quite a bit in my days.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

See the larger radius on the O.D...?
    THAT goes in first..!
    You'd never want to push a sharp corner (very small radius) into a tight hole.

Mike

4. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

X2 on using the oilite bushing. Don’t outsmart yourself here. Good luck.

olscrounger likes this.

5. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Install it the way you're thinking. That's how the were installed at the factory, tapered side toward the trans. It kinda like a pilot for the pilot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Bushing

olscrounger likes this.
  7. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

X4 on the bushing

olscrounger likes this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

9. Bushings worked perfectly for decades. I was going to go with the bearing also but once I looked it over good, I decided to opt for a new bushing.

olscrounger likes this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My GMC 6's are stuck using an open ball bearing. I've gone to a sealed one with the same dimensions. I'd rather have an oil-lite but don't want to make one.

11. A true sealed ball bearing like what is used on medium duty trucks (heavy are likely the same), work fine. I've seen automotive "sealed" input bearings and all they have is a small lip seal that rides on the shaft....not effective. The clutch dust etc is what destroys the bearings, but a true sealed bearing is fine.

jimmy six and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  12. Bushing please!!!
    Tried and true,,,,,old school,,,,cheaper and a lot less trouble!
    But,,,do what you want,,it’s your money.

Tommy

TagMan, olscrounger and Old wolf like this.
  13. I once went to change the clutch and pressure plate in a 6.2 diesel pickup. the roller pilot bearing was bad. So The owner went to get parts I told him a bronze bushing would be better. So he got one He complained about the cost. It was $40! I looked at it and told him take it back and get a refund. Went over in the corner of the shop and removed one from a small block. It was the same exact size. Installed the used bronze one I always put some chassis grease in the crank cavity behind the bushing. not enuf to hyd push the bushing just a little bit.

olscrounger likes this.
  14. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Is the bearing supposed to be heavier duty? Is that why they're used in the bigger trucks? I have a hard time understanding the use of such a tiny bearing in that application. To me, they just seem too small, especially running on such a small diameter shaft as an input shaft pilot.

15. Its not like the pilot bearing is in countinual operation. Its only being used when the clutch is released. The old bronze bushings outlasted the clutches and the engines.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent years of my life changing bearings on electric motors. There’s a lot of difference in shielded and sealed bearings. Double and single. I never understood the use of the stock open ones on the trucks. Thanks for your input.

17. Hey old wolf,
    40 bucks for a bronze bushing?
    That guy was robbed!

Tommy

18. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I have had no luck needle pilot bearings . They are great for a short time then self destruct and chew up the pilot on the input shaft. Also the space age Kevlar bushings are a squeaky hard shifting mess too . Go with a Mcleod bronze oilite . GM and local auto parts all sell Chinese iron bushings . Pure crap too . A magnet will tell you if it’s bronze or iron. There may be others that sell bronze oil impregnated oilite bushings like Centerforce ,Ram or Hays but insist on oilite !!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Gents --
    Thanks for all your responses. They reminded me of the old adage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I kinda violated that one. Back to the bushing, and great tips on the oilite!. Mucho appreciated!!

20. I used to make my own from oilite bronze. I may have a few unfinished blanks around, good tip above on the China crap out on the market today. Most new clutches come with them, the last one I installed I never bothered to check. I always install it with the biggest chamfer or radius towards the input shaft.