Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 327 SBC or 364 Nailhead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55styleliner, Aug 28, 2019.

?
  1. Nailhead

41 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. 327

23 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. primed34

primed34

That's an really nice car to start hacking on to put a nailhead in. I like nailheads but completely redoing a drive train on a finished car would be too much work and expense to me. And like the nailhead ain't everybody got a 327.

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4623.JPG IMG_4624.JPG Any questions?
    Good luck,
    Al

akoutlaw, Deuces and j-jock like this.
  3. Running driving car with a SBC and have one rdy to go... hmmm change in a weekend easy..

Nailhead sitting there needing everything... hmmm Lots of $$$ hard to find parts, redoing all the mounts, exhaust steering clearance issues and the list goes on..

The Nailhead is damned kool though.. Find another rod to put it in down the road as you gather more parts and be driving the one you can have going in no time !

4. We could do ‘Rock-Paper-Scissors’ to decide. The winner picks the motor that goes in and the loser has to take the other one home-ok?- ready... set...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

The 327 is a bolt in, use your money and time saved for cool vintage sbc speed equipment

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

HAMB scale of cool? Hahahahaha, that's a joke!

But if you're asking for advice, well then, if being "Cool" is the biggest factor for you, then the Nailhead wins that. You'll also get the respect of builders for having to put in the extra work installing it. If performance is the biggest factor, than the 327 offers the most potential for that.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  7. I have a forever love affair with the nailhead. They were built tough and are torque monsters. I recognise that it would mean more work to swap the Buick in, but it will turn more heads.
    I still dream of having another project with a 401 4 spd, but common sense is keeping me from pulling the trigger.
    Bob

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Is the nail head or the 327 ready to go If not and down time is not a big deal the 350 is a cheaper rebuild than a 327. I will say if I'm at a show and see a SBC in a car I don't pay much attention to the engine but if there is something else I look.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  9. BJR

BJR

Nailheads were very dependable engines in cars that sold for way more than Chevs. Do you think Buick owners would put up with an un dependable car after paying as much as they did? Look at a dressed up 327 and a dressed up nailhead. Which looks cooler? Bet most pick the nailhead.

10. Deuces

Deuces

I'd go with what I know best.....
    A small block...;)

11. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

As much as I love Chevys and all GM stuff I have to go with the nailhead. I grew up with Buicks with nail head engines and you can not beat them for dependability and power, plus you can't beat a dressed up nailhead for looks and the COOL FACTOR!! Go with the Buick, the extra money is well worth it.

12. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I concur. Save the nailhead for a pre 1935 car.

13. Nailheads are narrow and not any more difficult to install in a small engine compartment than a small block chevy. and buick nailheads where so dependable and had plenty of torque. That chevy factory installed 322 Buick engines in 56 chevrolet Truck tractors.

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You have a nice looking hot rod there but if you run without a hood a nailhead would look cool. As the way that car sits with a full hood if it was someone else's car and you asked " what are you running in that coupe" what would sound cooler to you and perk your interest? "Oh it's a small block Chevy " or " a hot rodded nailhead.

15. desertdroog

desertdroog

364 Nailhead.
    I like the Buick mills.

16. Just look at that beauty and I'm a Chevy guy, but I sure like the looks of a nailhead

int10.jpg

17. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

327 of course. !

Deuces likes this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That is a b
    That is a beauty! But it's not like this is a bad looking engine:
    [​IMG]

55styleliner likes this.
  19. If you go with a small block chevy every time you open the hood you are gonna lament because you did not install the Nail head. And If you go nailhead every time you drive it or open the hood you will never wish that it was a small block chevy.

55styleliner likes this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

He'd get over it every time he ran it to 6 grand.....

21. Unless you have owned and driven a nailhead you will never understand. With a nailhead you never have to run to six grand. Torque Monsters can handle really tall rear gears.

j-jock likes this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I have driven them. I like high torque motors, I like 'em a lot. It's a different way of driving, can be more relaxing, and easier. Still nothin like twisting the tail of a small block.

55styleliner likes this.