Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rod and custom magazine

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gasmanm01, Aug 21, 2019.

1. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Great thought, it will probably never happen.
    Print magazines are dyeing!
    Used to get R&C till it died, given up on Hot Rod, and Street Rodder!
    Thank Heaven there is Rodders' Journal!
    KK

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It was one of my favorites too.:(

4. I liked it in the late 60"s,early 70"s.Had a lot of how to articles.At the end it was mostly advertising for part manufacturing companies.

5. verde742

verde742

If you like OLD ONES, I will sell them for $5.00 each.

Have lots..

the name
    (a great one is owned by the same people that own HOT ROD magazine)

I feel like ALL the good writers have died or retired.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

The day of a magazine to be supported by subscriptions and counter sales are long gone.Cheap subscriptions were a result of advertisers picking up a big chunk of the tab.
    You can’t have it both ways.As I recall in the beginning Rodder’s Journal stated there would be no advertising, that is no longer the case.

7. Hated to see it go away once again, likely for the last time this time, but the times they are a changin'...........:( 20190822_055919.jpg

8. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I feel that this site is the new "Rod & Custom". It has it all, how to do articles, guys chopping up cars, problem solving, product review, road trips, events, and even a few guys crying about trailer hitches on Corvettes with or without solid lifters My hat is off to all of you.

9. R&C was always my favorite;...thot about printin up some shirts just for the heck of it...
    fas 081.jpg fas 089.jpg

10. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I agree with coconuts, this is the new R&C cause the times have changed. I could go for the R&C shirts, I take a 3xxx...……..

hotrodharry2, COCONUTS and The37Kid like this.
  11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Glad to have my collection of R&C to look back at, especially the years when pgan was the editor.

12. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The currant magazines are getting thinner and thinner as advertisers flee to on line advertising, and the readers decide it is not worth getting the smaller magazine it becomes a case of circling the drain, no different than newspapers. In the 80's I sold real estate and help wanted ads for a paper, they charged
    very high rates as the advertisers really had no other choice to reach that market, today classified ads
    are almost gone.
    When I was there the ratio was 65 % ads, 35% content, today you can count the ads in the paper on one hand many days. The average age of a subscriber is over 60, I imagine magazines are also skewing older. Not what most advertisers want.

rockable and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

R&C was shut down twice and returned from the dead twice. At one time, R&C was 16 pages (complete with a cover) inside HOT ROD. When Petersen bought STREET RODDER, there was a lot of duplication and also lead to the demise of R&C. STREET RODDER was started by Ray Brock as a direct competitor to R&C. Ray was very well respected in the hot rod industry and there were no non-compete clauses in Ray's contract with Petersen.

14. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Ray Brock started Rod Action magazine, Street Rodder was started by Tom McMullen

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

It was a GREAT magazine late 1960's - 1970's the Bud Bryan Hiboy build, Spence Murray '36 Roadster build and others. You sort of felt you somehow knew the guys after a while, just like the HAMB today, but the HAMB has a lot more projects. R&C is gone but will never be forgotten. Bob

16. It was also my favorite since Hot Rod died...or morphed into whatever it is now. I still have some remaining issues of Street Rodder coming in but I will not renew. Its nothing but about a dozen pages of content and the rest is advertisements. It took me all of 7 minutes to read the last issue.
    Like stated above...this site is the new Rod & Custom.

jimgoetz, chryslerfan55 and F-ONE like this.
  17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That time has passed.
    This really sums it up.
    Why wait a month for a possible tech article?

Some months were stinkers.

A tech series that takes 6 months.... doing stuff that you may or may not be interested in or even relevant to your project....vs....instant info online that you can use and use right now.

Why bother with print?

The only hope that R&C had was an online presence.

That boat has sailed.

Hot Rod has an online presence but....
    Who wants to put up with the Spam?

My last research venture that I read from HRM online, ( brakes on a ‘64 Fairlane ) proved to be flawed. The Fairlane Club of America..... has the “rest of the story” as Paul Harvey used to say.

The FCA is a paid subscription club and even with that they struggle with print. Each issue, they ask for member articles.

The times have changed.

jvo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. catdad49

catdad49

I Still have a New in the wrapper Rod 'n Custom tee, just in case!

19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That's why the hamb is number one!!! The people, the history lessons and the technical.

20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The classifieds too. :) I feel better dealing with you guys and gals then on silly old eBay.

48fordnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Be careful there.

22. showrod

showrod

The Hamb is a good place to start a bring back rod and custom petition.

23. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I got a reminder today that my Street Rodder subscription was going to expire, Hooray!
    I never wanted the subscription and was shanghied into it when Rod and Custom ended.
    The only thing that I read in Street Rodder is on the last page, Professor Hammer.

X-cpe, jimgoetz, Stllrng. and 2 others like this.
  24. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

I have that issue on the back of my toilet right now. Haha. I loved rod and custom.
    Traditional Rod and Kulture just bit the dust last week. Good mags are slowly going away
    A6C9B7E1-A52C-48BE-8A16-1077D9188758.jpeg

25. goldmountain

goldmountain

What is good about stuff on the Hamb versus magazines is that there are more people sharing information now instead of just a handful of car journalists. Sometimes it gives bad information and poor spelling, but it is now a two way street.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

48fordnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. town sedan

town sedan

Janet tried to make me take Car & Driver, or some such shit, when R & C died. Couldn't wouldn't put up with that. Called and made them give me HRDeluxe. On the fence if I'll keep the HRD coming, probably will as long as they don't go vanning like HR did in the 70's.
    -Dave

Edit:
    Anyone else remember the good old magazine days when a crate engine would be bought for a project and first thing they'd do is tear the engine down for inspection and blueprinting?
    Those were the days before all the product placement advertising magazine projects.
    -Dave

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  27. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

9B7DD68F-2D8F-4E10-9AEE-7F8F66139E3B.jpeg 207A552C-92D3-4598-9750-3E3BA2BC4A28.jpeg Traditional rod & Kulture illustrated DIED this week
    HOP UP is a good alternative and is still around

28. catdad49

catdad49

Trent Sherrill and Dave Stanfill will be trying to fill the void after the demise of TR&K. Details should be coming shortly.

mdcolby and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. HOP UP is changing too. See their website for more info.

Mick

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    catdad49 likes this.