Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods At shows...why is it...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike VV, Aug 4, 2019.

1. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I put the hood up only high enough to be able to see in. The reason is I find it takes away from the lines of the car and the overall look of the vehicle. I don't like taking pictures of cars with the hood up as others have already stated. It depends on the car but a lot of times when I see a car with the hood all the way up it makes me picture it as something is wrong and waiting to be fixed. If that makes any sense.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  2. rjones35

rjones35

I've wondered that too. I think it's because they're ashamed, but want to seem cool.

ramblin dan likes this.
  3. If you got it FLAUNT IT ha ha

4. Its something that has bled over from indoor shows and if your at a show where points/awards for engine compartments are awarded. When showing like in a ISCA show you need to have your doors, hood and trunk open enough for the judges to evaluate, but it does ruin the lines on alot of the show cars because it disrupts the body lines, so its a compromise between the two.

ramblin dan likes this.
  5. When I pull into a cruise night everybody wants to know what's under the hood of the obnoxious sounding truck. I think the truck looks the best with the tilt front closed, but I also like my blown 540 under it. 20180906_163229.jpg
    I'm figuring out plexiglass hood sides so I can have the best of both worlds.

Hank37, ramblin dan, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

No, no, not mine but I wonder if he lost points for the missing wheels &tires? 2816718154_b868180fb1_z.jpg

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  7. Looks like the Fire Department cut them out after a wreck! JW

8. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

At the GSTA show I was told that the judges won't open the hood, doors, etc... so entrants that wanted their interior or engine compartment judged should leave them open. That might be the reason that most judged show cars are displayed "opened up".

As for the hood being partially up, I like to set it so an average height person can easily see the engine compartment and the rows of louvers going across the hood. Both are important features of the truck's style...

IPWA4220.JPG

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So guys can see some of the shiney s--t, but not how dirty it really is.

10. I love chrome too, but.....man, thats alotta chrome!

11. looks like they are in the 4 corners holding all the mirrors down.

12. It is exactly the reason. Most judging (if ISCA) is done after hours of the show and beings usually the night before the show actually opens. For the Portland Roadster Show anyway, by Sunday some owners close the cars up for display and convertibles drop their tops. Though that can be an issue as if your car/truck is a close points situation with another car the judges will look the car over again on sunday to really look for tiny things to figure out the winner, so its best to leave the cars opened up all show long. For Taboo we made prop rods for the hood and doors to keep them at the lowest height but for full point potential at a show after talking with a few of the ISCA judges.

IMG_3956.JPG

swade41, ramblin dan and Black_Sheep like this.
  13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I don't care what other people do with their cars. None of my business. None of their business what I do with my cars, either.

Tri-power37 and swade41 like this.
  14. wallyringo

wallyringo

I do it long enough to cool off the motor. By the time the show starts my hood is down.

The37Kid likes this.
  15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I always have mine open for the judging. Gotta get a trophy. DSCF7352.JPG

16. Somebody asked me that question at a show once, so I slammed the hood on their hand. Joke was on them. Wasn't my car.....