Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eliminate the "wait" time

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by loudbang, Jul 6, 2019.

1. loudbang

loudbang

I report a lot of spam mainly because my day is your night. Today there was over 15 threads and having to WAIT about 30 seconds between reporting is not conductive to eliminating spammers.

I understand the need to prevent multiple postings in other situations but is there anyway to remove the wait requirement JUST for the reporting of spam?

2. I was playing Report the spammer at the same time.( Or whack a troll) :D

We got them and that's whats important. HRP

3. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Would be easier if the wait time was shortened. So much SPAM last night on the HAMB and the Garage Journal forums.

Hombre, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

One hell of a day yesterday, worst spam day I have seen on the HAMB. We must have reported 40-45 threads. I could tell someone else was banging on them as I would go to the next one to report and it said "thread can not be found" or some notice like that.

HOTRODPRIMER and Hombre like this.

5. Hombre

Hombre

Yea I was at it to, you are right it was the worst Spam I have ever seen. Like you bang I am up very late most nights, the curse of a miss spent youth. I delete some spam almost every night but that was something else. The wait time did us no favors that's for sure.

6. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

7. loudbang

loudbang

Right where it always was :confused:

1.JPG

8. catdad49

catdad49

I try to zap 'em every chance it get, doesn't it make you feel Good!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    lothiandon1940, loudbang and Hombre like this.
  9. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I gave up after reporting 3 spam posts as they could post faster than I could report them. The HAMB is full of SPAM as I post this.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm on it.

And sorry fellas - I've been on vacation for 2 weeks. I head home tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  11. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

loudbang likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

@Ryan I just spent an unpleasant 45 minutes deleting over 40 spam messages. IF there was no antiflood control on reporting spam all that spam could have been eliminated in five minutes or so. Others also spent time zapping spam.
    I would be so bold to suggest adding another radial button JUST for reporting spam with no flood control wait time.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Hombre likes this.
  13. Hombre

Hombre

Ryan, I hope you take to heart "LOUDBANGS" request. I also spend quite a lot of time deleting this spam. I am up pretty late most nights ( result of a miss-spent youth in those far away lands ) and night time is when most of this seems to be happening. The 30 second delay hinders greatly the removal of these spam posts.

We all would like to help with this problem, think about giving us the tools to do that.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Hombre

Hombre

The thread started 148 days ago or 5 months ago. For some reason the moderators and Ryan do not seem to be at all concerned about the Spam here on this site. I do not think I have ever seen any of the Moderators or Ryan even on there own bring the subject of Spam up. If they had been concerned they would have done something about it. If the powers that be are not concerned about this Spam then speaking just for myself no longer will I be. It is a pain dealing with it, but a much bigger pain trying to help and having to deal with that wait time.

Now with that said, this is not my site. It's there's. I have been and will continue to be a contributing member. Also none of the Moderators or Ryan ever asked me to try and deal with this Spam problem, so I have been kinda sticking my nose into there business so to speak. I just hate this Spam issue and wish there was a way to deal with it, maybe in time they will as well.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  15. I started out hitting them and waiting to hit them again. I now just hit them once and move on to the next. Most times they are gone when I hit refresh. Someone else must be up at my ungodly hours.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

simply report them once. then a moderator will delete them and ban the spammer. even when you guys report them twice the mods still have to delete the spam and ban the spammer. When you guys report twice it does what we call a "soft delete" meaning it is still there, just not visible to the members. So if the 2 reports is a pain, simply report once and we (the mods) will take care of it. I don't like the spam either and I had 80 spam reports to deal with one day last week....

bowie and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Let me take this one step further...….

Just report it once - we appreciate it.

While the Mods get a avg 40 per day, most times a Spam poster will have multiple posts and as soon as we ban the Spam poster on one post, it wipes out all their other posts too.

So, while Fellow Mod Moriarity mentioned 80 Spam report posts last week - many were by 2-3 Spam posters, so as soon as he ban the poster - all those Spam posts disappeared with one click.

Nice feature to ZAP a bunch of posts with a few clicks - but Spam is still a PIA.

I had 69 one day and Moriarity had 80 the day after so Moriarity was King Spam Shit Zapper last week. :)

Those soft deletes HAMB members no longer see but we Mods see them, and I go in and permanently delete the soft deletes individually ( PIA ), so fellow Mods don't see 80 soft deletes that ruins our Mods viewing pleasure.

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  18. Report once???
    2-3 or 5 guys report the same spam without knowledge or the other.

Is it not the waiting period between reports.
    That is the title of this thread.

So there’s a 30 second wait time between reporting a spam post and the ability to report the next. 80 reports on your end represents 80x30 seconds or 2400 seconds or 40 mins of waisted time.

Really some sort of questionnaire based on the rules should be in place, and a mandatory wait period for these assholes after registering.
    Or a new members First post should be reviewed before hitting the board. The NEWLY registered guy’s should have to wait. It will save a lot.

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There is a Spam filter that hits the Moderators to have to approve.
    That we do have and we handle daily.

There is no one associated with these Spam posts. It is all automated and sent by mass to any website it can find.
    Since the HAMB is many years in existence and one of the largest following sites on the Web - it gets bombarded daily with automated Spam.

There is 10's of thousands of Automated Spam that hits the HAMB daily.
    Many don't make it - the filter zapps them or Mods zap them and you don't see it..

Unfortunately not all get zapped in the filter and a VERY small percentage make it through.

Yep - report it once - we appreciate it, don't wait to hit other Spam posts and move to your next HAMB enjoyable post.

Thanks,

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You all sound like a bunch of bitchy old ladies. Let me assure you, you few alone are not single-handedly saving H.A.M.B. from spam...we all report and move on.

If all you do is surf the “latest posts” all night, then sure, I see how it would annoy you. But there’s the whole rest of this place to get lost in. Don’t get sidetracked by this crap, and be thankful there’re folks at the top takin care of business.

Thor1 likes this.
  21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's quite a jump there man.

Look, I get it... Spam is frustrating. I've been dealing with it for 26 years... and have often day dreamed of torturing spammers in front of their families. It's driven me that crazy.

Unfortunately, however, we are outnumbered so badly that technology can't be a complete answer. We are talking about thousands of users a day that attempt to register and spam the forum using thousands of different techniques and methods of doing so. We catch over 90% of them before even a moderator knows about them. Moderators deal with another 9% or so... and 1% makes it through prolly.

For that 1% we have the report function... and it works well. However, I get the flood timer is causing some issues. I've researched like hell and Xenforo doesn't offer a method of minimizing that timer. I asked on the Xenforo support forum and was told this was because nefarious folks built a script that reported every thread on the forum multiple times and was able to remove content at a crazy rate. I can't have that, obviously...

So really, all I can do is continue to update the spam parameters every single morning and continue to day dream about the treacherous things I would do to a spammer if allowed.

It sucks.

22. Well said, Ryan, well said.:)

23. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

A point on the wait time is when you see multiple spam posts as once you have reported one you have to wait longer to report another post. I get it you report one post twice it is soft deleted to then be removed by the Mods and Admin but when spam poster XYZ123 has multiple posts it sure would be easier to be able to report faster. I know from being a Mod on the GJ the faster you delete the cleaner the forum. Often here I have made one report and simply stated the spammer has multiple posts and even then I have struck the report wait time and they have made more posts in that short minute.

I also understand the forum is set as to how it works on the reports but surely we can find another way to help report what wastes forum space.

I like the idea of dragging a spammer behind the Hot Rod along a gravel road....