Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need opinion on work done

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dadn5kids, Jun 21, 2019.

1. As a person who has done professional polishing, no way I would have started them for $400. As far as the markings go, how would a polisher, who may not be a car person, have any clue what the markings mean. In order to get a polished finish the parts must be smooth, trying to leave a small raised area would look like ass.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Andy, redoxide and ottoman like this.
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm not a polisher, but being Scottish I'd have said if you want me to leave the letters it will cost $XX.XX more.

redoxide likes this.
  3. Dadn5kids

Dadn5kids

Thanks for every one chiming in on this. At this point, I'm just letting it go, the polish job is very good. If I choose to be an ass and name the shop, there would be more understanding in regards to the "knowledge of car parts" issue, but I do not want to call out someone in public, as I don't think there is any reason too. I just wanted thoughts from the crowd on what to do for next time. I'll post up some pics when the engine is all back together.

Dadn5kids

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

funny. now let's start the same thread only rather than Ford heads it was you vintage "thompson" Pontiac valve covers for your dragster.

motor does look good.

5. redoxide

redoxide

Heads look great, you asked for polished and you got them back polished, job done.. since your talking details, I would have more of an issue with the fella that chopped the section of the firewall out and dumped that ugly battery there .

In my view you cant call folk out on fine details when other areas of the build dont adhere to the same level of detail.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  6. Gerrys

Gerrys

As far as the polisher is concerned he is not a restorer. Most would not want the numbers as they are no longer stock and are customized.

7. 5window

5window

True, but this is the point, "I'd have said". The end.

8. Dadn5kids

Dadn5kids

Just FYI, it's a 39 Standard, so the battery box is in the correct place. No modifications to it.

5window likes this.
  9. redoxide

redoxide

well Henry needs a good talking to in that case, :)

10. Andy

Andy

I think the stud bosses look a bit wobbly. You need to spot face them so the washers can seat flat.

11. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I've had several sets of flathead aluminium heads polished in the past. I did specify that all letters and markings were to be preserved. The all came out beautiful. I can't remember what it cost,but that was secondary to me. I like the markings intact as they look less "billety". That being said,if you can't live with them I'll take them off your hands for whatever you have in them.

5window likes this.