Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 T Roadster Pick Up build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It was either exercise or a smaller steering wheel lol

loudbang, Blue One and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You have to start thinking of video and sound soon. This has been great to follow, thanks!

loudbang, brad2v and Blue One like this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D The new steering wheel should be delivered today or early next week.
    Right now it just would be in the way anyway given the work that has been going on. :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Believe me at 13.5" the steering wheel will be small enough. I would have liked a 15" wheel however since I wanted a reasonable steering wheel angle and position for driving a larger wheel would start causing contact with knuckles and the door and also severely limit space for your thighs under the wheel.

Not a car with an abundance of room :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    26 T Ford RPU, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I see guys rocking an 18” or bigger wheel in and A once in a while and think they either don’t use that side of the wheel or don’t have sausage fingers like some of us.

I can sit in the driver seat in the A and grab the outside passenger door handle. I feel like you could fuel up your rpu, check the oil and tire pressure and never have to get out of the seat!

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, the new steering wheel arrived and just like that it’s on it’s way back.
    It was a pathetic little thing actually.
    I’ll post more details later in this post.
    Busy grilling supper now :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lame dude, the steering wheel part not the grilling part

loudbang, Stogy and brad2v like this.
  8. brad2v

brad2v

Bummer. But a guy can't compromise on the steering wheel

loudbang likes this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Okay let’s try this again. I attempted to post this earlier.

The problem with the Mooneyes wheel was the black vinyl rim that was far too thin to grip comfortably.
    While it was a nice looking wheel I wasn’t going to like holding on to it.

I don’t have huge hands but even so the wheel was thinner than I prefer.

So plan B.
    My original 13” Grant foam grip wheel that I’ve had on multiple vehicles since I was 18.

There are a lot of miles, smiles and memories in that wheel.

What makes it so rare is that Grant no longer makes a foam grip wheel in this size with the finger detents.

I managed to polish the chrome to a point where I think it looks good.

Then I looked at the worn foam and found a way to rejuvenate it.

The old foam was worn and sort of gray, I taped off the chrome and gave it a liberal spray with black Plasti dip rubber.

Because the old foam was a porous surface it has bonded really well and it looks and feels good.

I’m happy to be able to keep it as it holds a lot of memories and it’s always been a comfortable wheel to drive with. :cool:

DBC2C0F7-1E8A-47A5-8194-34AC8401A4F4.jpeg EFCA3598-E5F2-4664-8A32-3FD4FA7D3819.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow, good save.
    I had a similar one years ago that had grips that were eroding, that would have saved it.
    Some people can't "grasp" the bond you can have with a good steering wheel.
    I had a factory simulated wood steering wheel on three different Chevys, hated to let it go but they got crazy valuable and it helped fund some roadster parts.

brad2v and Blue One like this.
  11. I was curious when I read that you had ordered that other one. Didn’t surprise me at all that it was quickly returned—

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blue One likes this.
  12. Osoty

Osoty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's the good word?

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  13. Must be out driving it.....having way too much fur......OR? JW

daddio211 and loudbang like this.
  14. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Dang
    I saw that there was an update to this thread and I got excited figuring that we were going to be treated to another update with some killer little detail. But, noooooo...

Just others like me, waitin' wishin' and hopin'.......

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

There’s no really good word right now.
    The wiring was completed but then summer started and life, family and other things require my attention.

A small number of things need doing yet before inspection and the road.

I’ll get back on it soon.
    I really didn’t miss much roadster weather, Edmonton was cool and wet most of the summer.

Updates will follow as I get to it.

daddio211, Stogy, Tim and 3 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I keep reminding myself here that fall is really the best old car weather. That’s what I tell myself when I’m trying to find time to wrench instead of just driving the dang thing this summer

loudbang likes this.
  17. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

At 105 it's too hot to wrench on anything

daddio211 and loudbang like this.
  18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Here, too... 'Sunny California'...

Realizing the 'attachment' to a steering wheel so loved it went thru numerous pre-owned vehicles, I think about my 3-spoke Bell, (15" sprint car wheel)
    My first one was in 1957, first run in my red '32 five window hiboy, then in my channeled '30 Cabriolet, then in my '46 Tudor. (heavy rubber rake, flat crossmember, 4" Dago, 'Mad rake'...Same Bell wheel, (purchased in '57)
    Then it went into my black '56 Chevy BelAir, behind an all chrome dash. Sold the car in 2 months, ('reflective' issues...:cool:, night driving preferred) Buyer insisted on having the Bell wheel, so I let it go.
    Next 3 spoke was a repop, from the Ford parts store in L.A. It went into my 427 side-oiled '54 Ford Coupe.
    Then was in my '55 F100, now is in my '27 T Touring. (also have one for my '27 T hiboy roadster.
    POINT BEING: Of all the things that can be done as an afterthought, steering choice and placement isn't one of them.
    Steering box, mast jacket height/location are first and foremost.

My early '60s VW sedan ('Cal Bug', 'extreme' rubber rake, dropped front beam) sports a 15" 3 spoke Bell clone. Perfect.
    '55 F100 now has a 4-spoke 15" Limeworks leather covered Bell clone, BUT I hate the 4 spokes on 15" dia.!!
    17" 4 spoke sings, (but don't like 17" in a street car) so I bought a new 15" 3 spoke, from GT Industries. (leather covered, but a GREAT 3 spoke plan, mimics the Bell pattern perfectly. Got it on the 'Bay!)
    3 spoke Bell is my ultimate 'hot rod' wheel. 'T' size is right for it, but I confess that I allowed it to 'slip' into places that were unlikely, but HRM featured many drag cars.show cars with the beloved Bell.
    Oh, I had a 3 spoke Bell in my '40 Coupe, too.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Choke cable shrink tubed and installed.

5D6862EA-03E2-4DD0-A7B4-4392916F5A65.jpeg 1199DBA8-161F-4878-BB6C-87D4953B3914.jpeg

brEad, Dino 64, 32Dan and 13 others like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Really like that! I assume it’s the standard spring/wound wire cover under the heart shrink? Great idea.

The knob is cool as well, is that a currently available piece? Havnt ever noticed one before... not that I probably bother to look at choke knobs most the time haha.

Current one in my 46 binds and catches horribly so im in the market for a better one.

loudbang likes this.
  21. loudbang and bobbytnm like this.
  22. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I like the shrink wrap on the choke cable. I also like the Edelbrock knob- I bought a few of them just so I could steal the knobs off them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang, brad2v and Tim like this.
  23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The choke cable is a standard Edelbrock manual choke cable I ordered from Speedway.

It’s the usual spring wound cable and I just covered it with the shrink tube.

I think it’s cleaner that way.

loudbang, Tim, bobbytnm and 1 other person like this.
  24. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I like the knob and you srinked wrapped the cable makes it look good.
    I would buy the cable if they sell it.

loudbang likes this.
  25. trollst

trollst

I'm watching.....cmon man.......I know its been wet, my daughter is in Grande Prairie, she's had to give her dogs swimming lessons. Me and the boss are heading her way next month, even if you get a temp permit, I'd like to see more than zeros on that odometer. Good job, gonna be nice.

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  26. I’m just a little ways north of Grande Prairie, bring your rubber boots it’s wet up here, could be snowing by then...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. trollst

trollst

Yeah, I know, no hot rod, it'll be the duramax and trailer, hows the mosquito populations? She's just outside Sexsmith.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I installed the Gear drive driveshaft tube style lake headers today.

I’m sure glad I got Matt to build my pair before he quit building them.

I installed them using the Remflex high temperature graphite-foil header gaskets and the custom gaskets they also made for my exhaust system flange connections.

After that I made a couple of steel discs to go behind my aluminum header end caps and also cut some discs of graphite-foil gasket material for them.

Mission accomplished, exhaust system wrapped up. :cool:
    One less thing to do. :cool:

703A90C0-0FA2-4AED-A9C3-93B78A7058F9.jpeg 2091A6C5-8180-4DF2-AE19-0F0D7D64B9D1.jpeg 02543437-CA1D-44A2-BE55-14D626F377A5.jpeg 26B3DF62-A17C-4283-8BEE-282DCA5C7C5A.jpeg 8C570F12-00D2-423A-95CB-101E6D12ED04.jpeg DD0309D5-452E-435B-BE1B-5C5BF25336AF.jpeg 679A64AB-3E25-4803-ADC5-15C33CEFBA89.jpeg 8B5B1F02-1428-492B-B5BF-CB4D549EA049.jpeg E4B34F36-F770-427B-901B-04AD26B0A492.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  29. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Love the exhaust system.

30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Are those headers polished stainless steel?

Stogy and loudbang like this.