Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Buying with no title.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darin Younce, Jun 4, 2019.

1. GTS225

GTS225

To further muddy the title waters; I've known of a farmer or two that bought an old beater pickup, and never titled it in their name, nor registered it. (It also never left their farm, either.) In Iowa, you are not required to register it. You are, by law, supposed to transfer title within 60(?) days. If you want to drive it on public streets/roads, then you're required to register it. You are free to drive it all you want on private property, without registration or license plates. There are any number of dedicated dirt track stockers and drag cars that have no title whatsoever, but they are trailered to the event(s), and never see the street, except maybe to load onto the trailer.
    The title proves ownership of the vehicle, the registration and plates/sticker proves you've paid the state for the "privilege" of using the roads and streets.

Roger

alanp561, H380 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which way would you like it? Please choose one.

3. Move to Bama

Hombre likes this.
  4. 24riverview

24riverview

Here you go Anthony, names and numbers removed to protect the innocent, ;).
    1915 title-2.jpg

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. Out of just 1 day,,,, how many title transfers happen in our country in all states of all kinds?

Out of all those how many are some field car, barn find, estate auction, abandoned property, stolen car , that someone is trying to get a title for? Some fraction of 1%

They are supposed to write unified laws for that stuff? They can’t even get important stuff done...

Your best bet is try to figure out their system and use it to your advantage. Some states hand out titles like free popcorn and others require a detailed record of transfer since creation signed in blood and some states have NO titles l.
    The other thing is to pay a lawyer who knows the right folks who know exactly how to get this stuff done. It’s not very expensive, after months of infinite frustration on my own the right lawyer got my paper in my hands for 325 in a few days.

6. 5window

5window

I had a professor in vet school tell me the only way to place an IV line in a seizuring dog was to seizure along with it. If you really want to get something through the legal system, hire an attorney.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. ............................True words.

OLSKOOL57 and chopped like this.
  8. That’s cool
    That’s fancier than a bill of sale on a grocery bag

9. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Ok , i went and looked at truck. Rough . The guy was nice. He had a stoke and couldn't finish . Truck belonged to his dad. Felt bad for him but he is way over on price . Told him he needed to get title if he wanted a dec ent price .

Attached Files:

10. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Old primer , covered up a lot of bondo th as t was crappy to begin with. Doors were full of bondo. Bed side panels were as well . Tail gate was pretty bad.

Attached Files:

11. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

The only unified law and I'm not sure it's a law more than a understanding is that if a vehicle is licensed and meets the State that it is registered in's vehicle code, you can drive it legally in another State. Used to piss me off in the 70's when people from Oregon would come into Washington in their fenderless cars but we had to have fenders. Luckily that was corrected and we can run fenderless now.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. 5window

5window

The fenderless hot rod on the street rod plate in PA was illegal to run in PA for many,many years.

13. Now get this a Mexican national who is here legally. (has a Valid Passport and Work permit) they are not required to have insurance . registration, title or nothing. Just some sort of bill of sale. That's nation wide. Its not required in their home country nor required here.

14. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Back when I was a driver , the word was the Mexican ( Truck Drivers) were going to be allowed to go anywhere in US . Up until that time they were allowed to come in US 50 miles I think but not sure. All the drivers were upset because they knew what their trucks would be like and probably would be overlooked or have some sort of immunity as far as DOT regulations. Haven't kept up so not sure how this worked out.

Old wolf likes this.
  15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

updates?

16. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right after Hurricane Hugo, I spent a year in the on St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands rebuilding an oil refinery. I was one of the few people allowed to drive the contractor's vehicles on public streets. We had to have very expensive insurance for our vehicles but the St. Croix locals did not. The way the locals drove, I doubt there is an insurance company anywhere who would insure them. St. Croix has been a US territory since 1907 and the locals don't have insurance, pay taxes or do much work. I was sadly disappointed by my trip, I went to the Virgin Islands expecting to be recycled and it didn't happen.;)

Old wolf likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

That's a $200 truck. Forget about it.

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

19. Hemi511

Hemi511

I have used International Title Service in Las Vegas several times with no issues. Little money and waiting, but it got me a title for my 34 Plymouth. And I live in Pa.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Lmao,,, you know his wife is pissed he didn’t take that 3500 offer...

Hombre likes this.
  21. To all of you guys who consider a car just a parts car if it has no title; don't part it out if its a good car, just sell it to someone in Alabama or Georgia, we can get it registered with just a bill of sale and its as valuable to us as a car with no title. Only two of my old cars have titles.

Hombre likes this.
  22. Come on up here. bring trailer and cash. and I will sell you all you want that don't have titles. At present Im selling parts from a OT 72 ford truck. good truck bad trans. I even have the title. its not got any liens. But idiots have filled it out and its been sold twice and none of them are dealers. so they ruined the title. Not worth the hassle to me to get a bonded title. I junked a 68 ford because I lost the title . Its gone went to scrap brought $400 and I had sold the rear bumper for $40 and the rear end for $125 and radiator for $50. still have the engine & trans. 68 ford pickup 002.JPG aspargus & vehicles 010.JPG

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

All of this talk and confusion makes me very happy to live in Canada where this is a lot easier.
    We don’t have titles anywhere in Canada and we also don’t have to pay taxes when we buy or sell used vehicles privately.

And they don’t tax us when we register a vehicle.

New vehicles and used vehicles are subject to taxes at dealers but that’s it.

All we need for registration is a bill of sale.
    That and the registration show ownership.

24. Now that does sound simple and nice. I guess your politicians have yet to find ways to bleed you of your hard earned money like they have down south of you.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They have a few other ways but for the most part it’s not overwhelming. :D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

The sheriff's dept. here in Leelanau Cty., MI is auctioning off a 1969 Ply GTX convert June 8th with no title. Its an abandoned and legally belongs to the police. They guarantee no issues.

27. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

How in the world did they get that? Some lucky ole fart is gonna have a good day.

28. GTS225

GTS225

**********************************************************************************

Happens all the time. We have a local towing yard that gets the call from PD for ( O/T) abandoned vehicles. They sit on them for about 6 months, have an auction at their yard, and there's no problem getting a new title from the DMV. Most likely a mechanic's lien (or similar) gets placed on it for towing and storage fees, and that gives them the "authority" to auction them off.

Roger

29. mkebaird

mkebaird

I've had 4 vehicles which required bonded titles, in four different states (UT, CA, CO, ID). Never had an issue. First thing they do is a 50 state title search to see if it's been reported stolen. Don't spend any more time/money until you get to that step! The last one I titled, showed up with a lien against it. Fortunately the lien was from 1958 and the company was no longer in business, so I got my title.

30. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

No offense to anyone who lives in Alabama, but that use to be the state that every stolen car ended up in because you could get a title so easy. Friend of mine bought a car licensed in Alabama at the Nationals one year, transferred it into his name in Ky. Two years later at the Nationals a lady came up to his car, looked it over, looked at him and started crying, and ran away. He thought what the hell. A few minutes later she returns with her husband and they are all over this car. Ask to look in the trunk, under the hood, crawl under it. My friend says it isn't for sale, I like my car. The couple tells him that this is their car that was stole 4 years ago. They call the police, and a shit storm starts. Even though they got payment for their car from the insurance company, the police impounded the car, and after a year of fighting over it in court, the couple got the car, my friend was out $16,000 plus court costs, and attorney fees. Unless I pull the car from a barn, or field and build it, or unless I know for sure who built the car, I wont buy it.

Thor1, Crazy Steve, mkebaird and 3 others like this.