Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Buying with no title.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darin Younce, Jun 4, 2019.

1. 392

Tougher today than in years past that’s for sure.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. BJR I was afraid of that but it is a rare and cool wagon.Thanks Bruce.

BJR likes this.
  3. In Ohio, a title is a legal document that proves ownership like a deed. With that ownership comes rights and responsibilities, obligations and liabilities.

Registration is a process that involves getting license plates. When it’s finished there is a document produced that states the process is legally completed.

They aren’t the same

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go back and read post #9, maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel:)

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@F-ONE has a valid point in post #55. Being you're in SC, I'm sure that at least two or more of your friends have shotguns and at least one of them has a pickup. Have them ride along with you to the seller's place and you shouldn't have any problems discussing the sale.

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yeah I’m with you on that too, but something needs to be done similar to when the NHTSA standardized the VIN format to a 17 digit format for all cars and light trucks in 1981. There needs to be a standardized bonded title procedure for all states maybe for all vehicles made prior to 1960 or so

7. charlieb66

charlieb66

The form for a duplicate is available on the SCDMV website. Print it off, have the owner sign it, write a check for $15, and send it to SCDMV. They will return a duplicate title to the owner, or a letter to the effect that the vehicle is titled to someone else, and return your check. There is a person in Ga. who says he can take a car to Ga., get some kind of paperwork that will suffice for title in SC. Not sure if this will work if the vehicle has been titled in SC at one time. Good luck.

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Russco, it will never change. It's whats called "States Rights". We are not the United States, we are the States. Every state has the right to make their own laws and think what they do for their citizens is best. Some require helmets for motorcycle riders, some don't. Some allow citizens to possess firearms, some don't. Every DMV thinks what they do and offer is the best and the correct way to deal with their population. I totally agree with you and their should be some national system, but I don't think we will ever see it.

9. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Georgia doesn't create new titles for cars older than 15 years old, so a bill of sale is all that is required for cars older than that. Now, what Tn. required may be totally different from cars out of state or older than that. But if you live in Ga. and buy a car you plan to keep in Ga., it isn't a big deal.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  10. A few years ago I bought a Pinto that had been abandoned on the side of the road 20 years earlier. It was a South Carolina car. I found the original owner. She had bought the car new and traded it but the new owner never had the title put in their name. The woman that had bought the car new was very nice and went to SCDMV and got a duplicate title and signed it over to me.

This was my experience with SC and a car without a title. If the owner did have it in his name at one time he should be able to get a duplicate title. The cost was about $50 if I remember correctly.

11. Bruce I recently bought a '56 Ford from Ga. He gave me a bill of sale and a registration card for his last tag he had for the car. I was able to get a North Carolina title with those documents.

As stated above cars this old in GA do not have titles.

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Oh I understand I’m just saying that would solve all this shit

13. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Reduce The Price For The Trouble You Will Have To Go For When You End Up Doing The Sellers Work...Pain In The Tail...

14. Nope I don't think we need any federal law. That would just be more red tape and another hurdle to jump. When there is no title you possibly could be buying a stolen car or something that has a lien. You at least need to get a official bill of sale. If you don't like your states title laws. write to you representative and get your state law changed. Send a rough draft of what the new law should be. and clearly state the current problem. I think requiring vin verification is OK. Most legislators want to introduce legislation. and have it become law.They like to tout their accomplishments during election time. Ok I bought some surplus government vehicles. The government agency that owned them. never paid the sales tax or registered them. just put a decal on the door big badge stating city of ----. And I received the original Manufactures certificate of ogron. And a bill of sale. I couldn't register them and get a title unless I paid the sales tax based on the price the government agency paid when they where new. I junked them.

ffr1222k and olscrounger like this.
  16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Wolf, I agree with you 100%, as soon as the Feds get involved it's over. What I'm pissed about is that one state is so lax and easy to register a car and another, (New York), it's almost impossible. Dosen't seem fair.

Hombre, ffr1222k and Old wolf like this.
  17. 5window

5window

To expand a little bit: Titles are issued by the state, or Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (we're not, technically, a state) or the Distract of Columbia where Washington is. It is like a deed and is now keyed to the VIN number. It is the legal ownership document for a specific vehicle. You need a title to get a registration, but you can title a car without a registration. The registration is the document that shows you have paid certain fees to be able to drive the car on the roads. It comes with a license plate and often some form of update notice-an annual sticker for instance. (Pennsylvania has eliminated the sticker and you now register your car online and print out the documents. This saves money but sometimes gets you pulled over in another state whose cops didn't get the word that the "old" sticker on your plate doesn't necessarily mean you didn't renew your registration). Then, many states will require you get the car "inspected" by an official garage periodically and some localities also require a sticker showing you passed an emissions test.

So my rural Pennsylvania hotrod has a Model A title and a Street Rod registration and an annual inspection sticker. Because I live in the country, I don't need an emissions test sticker like I would in Philadelphia. My OT 1965 Mustang has a Mustang title, Antique Car registration (with a special license plate) and requires no annual inspection or re-registration fees.
    Every vehicle on the road in Pennsylvania is required to have insurance.

There now. Didn't that clear things up? :)

18. Be Leary if the guy that has the truck for sell is classic cars of Carolina, HRP

19. There are people in Georgia that can do it, we all know it's not really above board but desperate times call for desperate measures. it's gonna cost you money and if a red flag come up you might end up with a car you can never drive.

Buying a car without a title and trying to get one in this state is a lesson in futility, I have been there and don't want to repeat that mistake again. HRP

Old wolf and olscrounger like this.
  20. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

This whole title business is an impediment to your right to "the pursuit of happiness", as promised in the Declaration of Independence, and embodies the concept that you are guilty (of posessing stolen property), unless you can prove your innocence. The fees paid are necessary to pay salaries of the people employed to administer and implement the title program.

21. Here in Alaska , A vehicle without a title has to go thru the process of Getting a appraisal , then a bond , the DMV does a vehicle search and after all that they will issue you a title. That is becoming a more common process in getting titles throughout the states. I Nevada they just changed their process and are also requiring a appraisal and a bond.
    Vic

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm probably going to piss some people off here but, the arguments made so far have been, for the most part, about rules and regulations from state to state. There has been a lot of useful information. I've got no problem with that but if we're going to get into politics, I'm gonna complain.

Hombre and gimpyshotrods like this.
  23. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

No pretty sure this guy is just an uninformed individual. He seemed humble but funny that I called him a second time and he said he wa as unavailable but didn't offer a later time we could get together. As I stated he reduced price right on phone . He did say something about he had an offer of 3500.00 and his wife told him he should have taken it so that is when he offered it to me for that price. I really dont think he is a scammer or anything but him not pursuing a title leads me to believe he might possibly have a title loan . Generally title loans companys dont lend on cars this old but I have heard some are more lenient being their apr is around 250 to 300%.

24. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I'm sure the politicizations will get right on this law. :rolleyes:;) They would rather see your old car at the crusher

Old wolf likes this.
  25. I’m gonna get me one of them title thingies one day
    It’s on my bucket list.

26. Some folks who have a clear vehicle title use it for a get out of jail free card. and fail to pay and lose the title.

27. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think your tinfoil hat needs to be replaced. A little history: The Declaration of Independence is what the colonists used to unass themselves from the British. It is not law and has no penalties. Nice try, however.

alanp561, egads, Sandgroper and 3 others like this.
  28. Have a few early "Texas pink slips" from the late 30's into the early 40's before they did the next thing - the photo copy of it......think that went into the 60's maybe - at least late 50's as i have a photo copy of the pink slip thy used...

29. Post a pic. Honestly I have mever seen one

30. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

FYI , a title in SC is the document that shows ownership . It is also where liens are recorded. A registration is what you need to tag a car. It is what you carry with you along with proof on insurance. You can have a title to a car and never register it but you can't or are not suppose to drive it . SC titles have a place on back to use as the bill of sale. If you sell your car you simply fill out the back seller section , buyer section price and they take it to dmv to get new title and
    Registration ( if they want to drive it) .To register they will need their insurance info but generally the form only ask for name of insurance company so you don't need policy #. You also ha vxx e to show proof you paid property tax when you renew you registration. So you can have title and no registration but you can't have registration without ever having title in your name. Every 2 years you will receive a registration renewal form and you will also receive a property tax bill ( actually you reciece this each year) . You must pay the tax and get a receipt and with this you can renew the registration. So to sum it up you can have a title in your name and never register the car . You can register the car and drive it .So you see title and reg go hand in hand as far as tagging and driving but when you sell you need the title.If you have title in your name in SC you can always a duplicate if you lose it. Cost a few bucks but is pretty easy. Btw , just for kicks I am going to call the guy back and ask to see truck and am going to see if he will give info on truck and I will check to see if he did in fact have a title. I know a person that might check this info once I get his name and address and vehicle vin# . Gotta admit I am curious . If anything I can check the tax records which are public and online as long as you have vehicle vin # and know the county. Doing this will at least tell me he paid taxes and if he paid taxes there is no reason he didn't title and reg the car.