Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Buying with no title.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darin Younce, Jun 4, 2019.

1. ...............You mentioned that you had an eye on a truck in South Carolina, but I could have an eye on a truck in California!

2. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

To be clear , I am in South Carolina and so is the car and I understand SC laws and regulations and without actually calling to confirm , I probably have zero chance so I will walk away. Just thought there might be an new easy option I was not aware of. Only thing I can find is like I mentioned , vermont but not too convinced or Georgia where I have a nephew who could be of some help. Other than that I could get lucky and find a real junker with a title and swap certain stuff enough to make it work.

3. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Again like I said , seems others on here got it . Apparently you have a problem with me with according to the history we have in another thread so I suggest you ignore my post.

4. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Yep , thanks

5. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Actually if you had been around here for a while you would know that Don is very helpful and one of the nicest guys on here. You seem to have an issue with direction you done agree with....just my .02.

6. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

How many times does this topic come up? How many threads on this forum about this already? How many threads on every old car/truck forum on the net? Not picking on anybody, really. Darin made his decision based on info gathered - but only South Carolina specific info is useful to his situation. No need in me talking about my experiences in MO, KY, IL or WI because they're irrelevant. Sorry, just saying. (Rant over.)

7. Frank, I have been a member long enough to realize there is absolutely nothing that hasn't been discussed on the hamb a hundred times over, you are a newbie so I'm sure you have seen them all, this might be the case with the OP.

Calm down, it's just another title question, BTW, I'm in South Carolina but I would like to know where the OP is located, his State may not require a title HRP

8. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

First of all , there are nice ways to give directions and an emoji with rolling eyes seems a bit smart azz to me. Go back and look at post I have made where this guy has posted and show me 1 post where he was being helpful. Look at his responses on this thread and show me after I made it clear I was in S C his responses and see how helpful they were. Every single post he has made is not helpful but rather negative. I have been on many forums and have never given a smart azz response to any one no matter how dumb their post was. On this thread and on the other thread he responded he gave ZERO advise on the subject at hand . As far as me having issues with directions that I dont agree with , there really is no good example here. Getting reprimanded on the other thread and getting rolling eyes on this thread are not what I call directions.

9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Contact your DMV and the DMV from the sellers state and see what they advise any other answers from different states aren’t really relevant. I wish the federal Govt would standardize these things it would solve a bunch of issues with intra state transactions.

lothiandon1940 and olscrounger like this.
  10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been thru it here several times in Ca. No more for me without current title. Just went thru it with a 40. It was clear in the DMV but no title. What a runaround-finally took it to CHP for verification and they were not even aware of the Ford frame number and wanted to attach a new tag--told them where the number was and it was very legible-finally got the title--this took several months. I have used verification services in the past but now had to go to CHP

gimpyshotrods and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. ..................Exactly, Danny. All that I was inferring was that if we could look at the profile of the OP and determine where he is located, those in his state might have a better feel for what he might have to do to get a clean title there.

12. alchemy

alchemy

If a rolled eyes emoji throws you off you won't last long here.

Where's Germ when we need him?

13. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The bottom line is that every state is different. I have read that in some states all you need to do, is simply walk into your local DMV, with a hand written bill of sale and walk out with your paperwork and plates. In New York, even with all the correct paperwork it's a crapshoot. I spent weeks of back and forth to my DMV and finally resorted to other means. I would contact your local DMV.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. I ton of guys wouldn't have survived his rants. :D HRP

partsdawg and guthriesmith like this.
  15. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

yeah generally dislike feds gettin in our biz but a uniform law that is hot rod, classic car friendly would be nice.

zzford likes this.
  16. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Well after every reply I have had from this guy is more about the way or what I post rather than the subject I see a pattern but heck I could be wrong ,perhaps he feels comfortable enough to sortapoke fun at me kinda like a friend so I'll leave it at that.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

• A couple of clues or things the seller said makes me think he is sorta ignorant concerning cars and perhaps titles . He told me he had it tagged but could not remember when and I said " you can go to DMV and apply for a lost title and get one.I got one recently while I was there , didn't have to wait but paid extra to get it on the spot. He also kept saying the front " drive train " was messed up and that is why he is selling. I was headed over to Columbia SOUTH CAROLINA which btw IS THE STATE WHERE I LIVE to get a good look and to see if he would consider going to Dmv and apply for lost title but he said he couldnt show truck now. He was asking 6000.00 but told me on phone he would take 3500.00 without me even asking . Seemed rather odd . This is a real pig in a polk . It could be really nice and solid which would certainly make nm it worth 3500.00 and then again it could be a basket case.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Bruce Fischer likes this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thick skin is a requirement here, no?:) Just grab a cold one and enjoy the experience, advice and humor here. A bunch of great guys that I really respect their opinion. It's just like a new pair of shoes. You have to wear them to get comfortable. I think it will always be a challenge when trying to buy without a title. It definitely makes you stop and think before jumping in .

19. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Haven't drank anything stronger than coffee for 22 years but your point is well taken. As far as no title , it would be a gamble and if the truck were exceptional , I would consider it. 48 is not even my fav but the prices they are bringing make me somewhat interested.

leon bee likes this.
  20. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

21. If they did one it would be anything,but nice.

Truck64, 56don and Terrible80 like this.
  22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just judging from what you wrote, I’m thinking this might be a scam. Nobody drops a price by half that quick unless they are going to jail and need money to run on! And what is a front drive train? Engine? Transmission? U joint? The guy may not be mechanical savvy, and he may just be a liar that doesn’t have and never had any vehicle. My advise from over 40 years of playing with cars.....leave this one alone and keep looking. Something that sounds too good to be true usually isn’t true.

56don and Bruce Fischer like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd look inside for an old registration slip in the sellers name. That would have the info needed to file for lost title or with him along at the dmv get the paperwork done.
    I drug home an ot no title rig a few years ago because I wanted the rear axle for my 48 and while junking it out the title fell out of the glove box with a bunch of other papers an hour later the hulk was sitting in my friend's wrecking yard and he had the title on is desk.

I'd agree though that for the most part not title rigs are parts cars. Or should be treated as such.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  24. What LoneJackLarry said.....in times past....if you had the registration slip you could just keep registering it - in the other guys name....times have passed....most are going the bonded route. Not having fun tracking down dead previous owners...

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  25. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Creepy!

A couple was murdered in Georgia a few years back. A fake add was used to lure them to a rural area.
    The price was not out of line. It was priced just well enough to seem legit. The perp had no record.

Scary stuff.

Truck64 likes this.
  26. What does an old car title look like?
    I have never seen one

27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It looks a lot like something out of a monopoly game. One was in the glove box of a 49 Ford Sedan I owned. It was very official looking, at least one from Kansas.
    Along with the title was a pair of batwing sunglasses.

anthony myrick likes this.
  28. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

You could be right on the scam and I have decided that if he is too ignorant or whatever to apply for a lost title ( which in SC is easy if one existed in your name) then I would not pursue any further.

29. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Yeah that nice part was wishful thinking. Really each state could agree amongst themselves.

30. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Trying to understand this "title" business. Is a title different to registration? Here if we buy a registered car (licensed) we go to our "DMV" and pay transfer fee to put it in our name. If the car is stolen or financed you lose it or have to re buy it. If the cars unlicensed ie barn find it's an easy computer search (small fee) to make sure it's ok. After its roadworthy it has to be inspected anyway for registration. In Western Australia registration is not proof of ownership. Car could be registered to one person but can be legally owned by another.