Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Sitting and Rotting.............picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jan 31, 2009.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

@lewk, that Olds ragtop looks like it tested the Mansfield bar on a semi trailer. Between those 2 '58 Caddy's I bet I could build a nice 'un.

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. Mgtstumpy, a salute to and a prayer for those brave, Australian men and women, especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice, but all who served to defeat the Axis Powers. They were the greatest generation. What wud the world be had they not stood up for freedom and justice.

Sandgroper, gggholson, Smiffy and 9 others like this.
  3. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked at that convertible and the first thing I thought was: I wonder how many people got killed in it when it crashed?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

The steering wheel looks grim and there’s no windshield so.....

[​IMG]

For what it’s worth, I posted it because it’s rare to see a ragtop in a junkyard up here in snow country, not because it was a nasty wreck.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

What Montana town would Kelly's be located in or near?

6. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Arlee Mt.

7. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Thank you, I'll plan on paying them a visit when I'm ramblin' around in Montana next spring.

8. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No worries lewk. I wasn't suggesting that your motives were anything less that honorable and if that's what came across I apologize.

I was just looking at the way the core support was pushed back over the engine and how the front fenders were crumpled and I figured there were some casualties in the wreck.

chryslerfan55 and lewk like this.
  9. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I saw this posted on another site a while back. Someone said it was in Connecticut, someone else said it was PA or down south.

10. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

That 58 wagon looks like a nice builder.

scott39, biggeorge and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Other than floor rust, it seemed like a nice car to start with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sporty45

Sporty45

Floors can be fixed. How's the frame on it? I love those old Chevy wagons

Torkwrench and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

It seemed like windows down, wet carpet rust, not sitting in a swamp rust. Things are pretty dry up here and road salt wasn’t a thing back in the days. I did not get under it. He says he has a rear axle for it.

14. Sporty45

Sporty45

Sounds like it could be a very doable project for somebody then! :cool:

chryslerfan55 and lewk like this.
  15. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Hmmm.....It's good that it's so far away from Illinois. LOL.

My parents bought a new Chevy wagon, in 1958......Hope that my older brother doesn't mind this photo being posted. LOL.

Dad's Photos 045.jpg

16. Others probably have similar stories, but I still remember, like it was yesterday, in my teens (70's) watching a cherry, all coral '58 chev wagon like those above drive into the staging area at the demolition derby held at the Mandan, NDakota rodeo grounds. Probably was a grandma car or something. I then watched a couple guys take tire irons, pop off the wheel covers, break out all side & backglass, then use the same irons to pop all the side trim & emblems off the car., it was then considered derby ready and went out just like I described to meet it's end. Didn't take long since the serious guys knew how to properly derby prep a car to last longer in battle. I also remember someone derby'ing a '56 2dr sedan and couldn't help think - why? But I yield to the notion they were just cars back then... and I'm sure alot of cars that we would pay good money for now were lost to those years when they weren't worth much.

17. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

1958 Chevy wagon, god I have to tell you guys this. Just move in and started building a house with large garage, had a few project cars sitting out where the neighbors could cry about. One day, after the garage is finish and all projects are put under one roof a guy comes up to the house and tells me he has a 1958 Chevy wagon he wants to get rid of and wanted to know if I was interested. So I went over with him to his farm to take a quick look. Man, this thing was rusted up to the window frames, rockers gone, drip rails rusted through chrome missing, steering wheel long gone. I wanted to open the hood but the hinges were so rusted that I would of bent the hood (best part of the car) just to get it open (I guess I could of look from under, but it was sinking in the mud). So I asked him what it had for a motor, he replied, "I think it is a six, but it does not run". So I took a pass on the old girl. A few weeks later, upon returning from a work trip there sat the 1958 Chevy wagon in my driveway with a note attached reading, "you did not seem to excited over the car and I guess that you didn't want to spend any money on it, so I am giving it to you for free. I have an high school kid who comes over and helps me on the house for a few bucks an hour. He came over and one look at the car and he had to have it. Told him if it was OK with your father, it is yours. Pop said OK and the car ended up at the kids auto shop class. It turn out that the so call 6 cylinder was a 348 back up by the cast iron powerglide. The motor and trans were pulled, that car taken to the local junk yard where the rear end was pulled and taken back to the auto shop class. The shop teacher, being pretty wise to the kid told him that the body was to far gone, find a better body, rebuild the motor and trans, and install and have a car to drive for the summer. The best place to buy an old hot rod around here is from one of the sailors, who is going out to sea, at the Norfolk Navy Base, so the kid headed out there to look at a few cars. Didn't find anything the he could afford, but did pass the word of what he was doing with what he had. A week or so goes by and the kid receives a call from some O3 Navy Supply officer asking about the 348 and powerguide and what was the asking price. The kid told him it was not for sale and that he had taken it all apart in auto shop for a rebuild. The Navy guy did not slow down and asked for the where the school was and when he would be working on the motor. He offer the kid stupid money the motor, rear end, and trans, so much that the kid could not pass on the deal. I went over to help load the motor and everything else the kid had sold him, pretty much anything good from the 58. It turns out that the O3 has a 58 Impala conv. that originally came with a 348 powerglide and wanted to bring the car completely back to being stock. The kid even got the motor and trans that were in the conv.
    So I guess it pays to look before you give something away, but what the heck, it went to a good upcoming mechanic.

18. fuzzface

fuzzface

Any chance that is the batmobile that Horny Mike brought for $5,000? Looks like about in the same shape.

19. rudestude

rudestude

Ya tork wrench I wouldn't want to piss off your brother either, going by that picture, if he was that big when he was a little, big, kid, he has to be one big fellow now.. or that 58 wagon is a pedal car...or could it be the angle that the picture was taken? Cool picture..

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Torkwrench and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. mlake01

mlake01

1935 Dodge. I first found this car 39 years ago, and it’s still there. Very rough - parking outside is hard on a car!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Big shortage of bullet holes for such a long time parking unattended.

22. mlake01

mlake01

It’s pretty well hidden and not visible from the road. Easy to get to, but you have to know where it is.

Took these today as well:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Man, after 39 years, I bet you'd be bummed if you stopped by to see it and found it was gone. Got room at your place to take it home (adopt it) and display it as yard art?

24. BSL409

BSL409

25. BSL409

BSL409

26. A couple cool 60 Sunliner's. They're a little rough. But you could make one out of the two? Again I didn't talk to the owner. I do love a 1960 Sunliner though. :) 20190422_072700.jpeg 20190422_073907.jpeg 20190422_072931.jpeg 20190417_122810.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. keef59

keef59

28. Sporty45

Sporty45

Saw this today. It is on an apparently abandoned property too! No idea what it is??? It is in my town.

Attached Files:

29. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

500 pages now and a little over 10 years later...whew, lotta good stuff here:)