Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Stogy likes this.
  2. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I’ve never had anything chromed. How much do you estimate it would be to chrome the dash panel?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Chrome won't getcha home. Save the $ for gauge resto. Clean the engine turn panel with bar keepers, and see whats under that black paint. Maybe decent chrome:D img13c.jpg

4. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Good point!

Stogy likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would paint stripper damage die cast and level just the chrome as is?

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Lacquer thinner... then bar keepers...

7. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, lacquer thinner. Buy a gallon of the cheap stuff at the hardware store, pour it in a tin pan, and soak the panel in it to remove the paint. It won't hurt any chrome that might be left underneath. You'd be like a fine art restorer.

Chroming can vary a lot depending on quality, and diecast is the toughest to do. I would think a quality job on that part might cost $400. But that's just a wild guess.

catdad49, Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  8. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Those low RPM Tachs are good for bangers as redline is 2500-3000RPM. I'd be interested in one if they go to 3-4K.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  9. Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While it's on my mind...Riff is going to no doubt disassemble the Dash Plate and break it down into individual pieces with each getting it's own going over to bring the moment back.

Hey Riff for a moment think about who was the last one to touch them fasteners holding that dash in...

I would imagine previous to your Dad getting the car. That's part of the soul...;)...in addition to your Fathers part in it all...its deeper.

Sorry back to the dash...the turned insert...I suspect its aluminum which lead's me to polishing without abrading trying to bring out the turning without losing it.

I have used Mothers Mag Wheel Polish which is a 2 step process (real easy by hand) with quite dramatic results...Thoughts on this process and perhaps other non abrasive processes?

@RiffRaffRoadster what actually is on that aluminum plate on the dash plate it looks like it might be a Diamond Pattern and not engine turning?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    jimgoetz likes this.
  11. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Could be Stogy-I haven’t tried anything on it yet. I got some chrome polish yesterday and am trying to find Barkeepers. On the dash surround, some of the paint has flaked off and it just looks like pot metal underneath (I was hoping they painted over chrome)!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  12. Any updates?

Phil

Stogy likes this.
  13. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

The best polish for aluminum I have ever used is Simichrome. I have been using it for years.

14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Be careful polishing the aluminum with SimiChrome it will polish off the pattern that is on the aluminum as it polishes it!

RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @RiffRaffRoadster check this out...;)

Quoted by @trbomax

"I have the genuine astro's on my 28,they have been on it since 1962.I ran the center caps for a while,but then put them on a shelf in the garage,dont remember why.My wheels are pretty rusty and will have to be rechromed,chrome powder coated,or replaced,but the centers are still pretty nice! Rechromeing is probably not an option due to cost.I could probably buy a set of the repops for what it would cost.The chrome powder that the cuda chic does might work though."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/astro-chrome-slot-wheels.233617/page-5#post-9182228

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/astro-chrome-slot-wheels.233617/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    RiffRaffRoadster, brEad and loudbang like this.
  16. In case the engine turn finish on the original is too far gone there are options. https://www.fpmmetals.com/ A new insert/overlay from these guys probably wouldn't be a negative at all.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

My dash panel was too far gone to save the eng. turning. It is an original 32 dash with an original 32 SW speedometer and I wanted to keep that. I found this sheet stick on material on line and thought It was worth a try. It came out pretty good and I still have the original finish under it. I'll try to find the name of the co. I got it from if your interested. DSCN1168.JPG

brEad, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

19. brad2v

brad2v

Awesome car! I had initially breezed right by this thread, as I read the title, and thought "I can't help with that". Little did I know, there was an old time hot rod hiding in here. It's taken me a week or better to get caught up. This is going to be a very cool car. Consider yourself one of the lucky few that have a rod with some history. Keep up the great work.

RiffRaffRoadster, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If its stainless I will do it for you for free... did this one from scratch in 1/8"stainless. I have a drill press and grid pattern set up for this purpose only. DSC08328 (1).JPG thumbnail (96).jpg thumbnail (95).jpg thumbnail (94).jpg

22. alchemy

alchemy

Where's Riff at?

RiffRaffRoadster, Stogy and pprather like this.
  23. I think he's traveling the week, as he couldn't attend Lone Star Roundup.

Phil

RiffRaffRoadster, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

RiffRaffRoadster, F&J and loudbang like this.
  25. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@big duece did you tint or etch that after turning it? Looks great by the way.

Hey Riffs back...

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  27. X2, that’s a really nice offer, @big duece, and your work looks great!

RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  28. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I’m back from traveling guys. Sorry I missed the Lonestar Roundup. Any photos of the event? I haven’t looked on the H.A.M.B. yet.

I have a lot of parts on order for the Roadster so hopefully we’ll have some good progress in the next 2 weeks. We’re keeping the front suspension as is, including the original ‘32 axle (with the odd welded spring perches), and the front split wishbones. We’re re-doing the rear with an aftermarket ladder bar set up. Photos to come.

29. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Yes, it was dipped in some Alodine. Alodine is a pretreatment for aluminum before zinc primer. I just like the color.

jimgoetz, Stogy and David Gersic like this.
  30. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Will cleaned up the intake manifold-looks like it’s in good shape. We think casting numbers show its from a mid-1960s Corvette, so that’s sort of cool.

[​IMG]

brEad, kidcampbell71, brad2v and 5 others like this.