Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Real Life Experiences with ESAB Easy Grind mig wire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

But is the difference really noticeable? I was going to get a spool last month as it was on sale. My nephew has a friend who says it's great but how great is my question. Is it really much more malleable?

2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If you keep procrastinating and never buy a spool and try it for yourself, you will never know!

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'm frugal and I don't want to buy something I don't need when I've got plenty of the usual stuff. But if you would like to send me a roll feel free! LOL

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You don’t need it.
    That’s not the mig wire you’re looking for, move along ;):D:D
    Besides I think you need a coil more ;):D

5. missysdad1

missysdad1

I bought a roll of ESAB Spoolarc .023 Easy Grind wire a couple of weeks ago from WeldingSupply.com and like it a lot. I have a Miller 141 and it function just fine. It is definitely easier to grind and causes far less heat to be formed during grinding. I am not a great welder so this wire has saved me a lot of time grinding, but it also seems to be easier to use in the first place making my welds better, too, so less grinding is required. I've been using it to resurrect an old hot rod so I'm not working with fresh metal. Lots of rusty, pitted and thin metal is the rule on this project and this wire seems less fussy on less-than-perfectly-clean metal. I'm sold on it for sheet metal work.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  6. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Most Paint suppliers for the Paint and Body shops carry it in the smaller 11lb. rolls.
    I have used it for close to 30 years without a problem.

7. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

I use it, I like it. It’s not a manic wand, but I do find it easy to work with. Grinding finish work is quick. And hammer dolly without issues. I use it for most auto body work. But if doing complex pieces where multiple panels welded then worked (wheel,planishing) I’d still gas weld.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in like 2006 B.C. I used a roll hanging imported qtr panels on a nice GTO project. Preface, I had someone experienced planish or peen every weld as we went. Spot, hammer while red, spot, hammer, spot, hammer. The idea was to stretch the shrinking weld and reduce or eliminate distortion. It also seems to remove porosity. Works awesome but stamina required (!). We had done this before with S6. The EZ was pretty impressive. Each spot was easier to do that with and the grinding was super easy with 50 grit 1st then 80 for a finish grind. I recently went to buy some in 2021 A.C. and the price was just plain fk'n stupid high so I stuck with the S6. How high? $200+/roll. Fuck that, unless it welds itself, grinds itself, AND gives me a happy ending they can keep it. I've not looked since, I know such supplies are like lobster (market price) and I'm not too much for "...and I might need.." spending. So have I used it? Yes. Worth it? At the time, yes when it wasn't too much more $$.

Budget36 likes this.