Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 FORD GASSER BUILD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lee Veinotte, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

Hey everyone, just joined figured I'd start my first build thread. Recently purchased a 57 Ford Custom and am planning a fairly traditional style gasser build. I'm hoping I can get started on tearing it apart this weekend so I'll keep everyone posted. She's 289 powered right now with a 3 speed column shift, that's gotta go.
    Now, on to the goodies. Speedway axle kit, 15x10 steelies out back- radiused wheel wells. 15x5 Cragar style out front. Fenderwell headers, the whole works.
    1969 429 Cobra Jet and a toploader for a plant. Should be fun.

Wondering about tire sizes, I'm not really wanting to tub the car but want a taller tire, something around 30". I do want to run radials, I work at a tire shop and can get killer deals on M/T rubber.
    The wheels I'm looking at are 15x10 5 inch BS. I've got 6.5" front the axle flange to the narrowest part of the wheel opening so I'm not too worried there.

Any insight would be great, hope everyone enjoys!

Attached Files:

Torkwrench, 1947knuck, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  2. Hombre

Hombre

I like this idea of a Ford gasser so I will subscribe.

Deuces, Trefl, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

An old Y block or FE would be cool the 429 is to late (new) for this forum and to be period correct.

deadbeat and benchseat4speed like this.
  4. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

You're right of course. The 429 kind of fell into my lap and I jumped on it. That kind of thing doesn't come up often around here and it was the best opportunity I'd have for a big block. I was originally after a 312 but they're very scarce and being in Canada parts are not cheap and not readily available.

5. RmK57

RmK57

Are you going to radius the rear fenders ? If you are a 9-10x 29-30" slick would be enough.
    If not, I'm using 255 60 15 mt street radials on 8" Centerline Auto drags.

Good choice on the 429-460. Great power, cheap to build ,and very durable.
    I'm running a 514 in mine.

OahuEli, loudbang and Lee Veinotte like this.
  6. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

I am going to radius yes. I'm thinking a 275/60R15 MT will work just perfect. 28" tall 11.5" wide
    Although, a 295/65R15 is 30" tall and 12.5" wide would look nice on there.

droppedstepside and loudbang like this.
  7. RmK57

RmK57

If your 429 is a good runner and your going to run it as is it should be fine. If your going for a rebuild I would look for a 460 crank and pistons. Way more piston choices available for the 460 and the internal balance cranks are dirt cheap also. And if your going for a full on rebuild you may as well go for a 521-545 stroker. Should be a fun project.

loudbang and czuch like this.
  8. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

9. I forget the tire size but I went a little different route than most. No tubs and No radi wheel opening. In fact I lowered it a good bit along with other things. Tire has .750 between tire and fender flange and .50 on back side to inner wheel house wall. Obviously the last photo was just trial fit to see where things were going. Worked out fine. Screw Tubs!!
    Rear Axle mod 008.jpg Rear Axle mod 011.jpg Rear Axle mod 012.jpg

katmandew60, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  10. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

Thanks a lot! That gives me a good idea what I can do tire wise. Appreciate it.

loudbang likes this.
  11. You do understand there was a lot more to it than just bolting up a pair of wheels, right?

loudbang likes this.
  12. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

13. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

With the radiused wheel wells and a higher than stock suspension I don't foresee too many issues with tire fitment.

loudbang likes this.
  14. RmK57

RmK57

Moving the springs inboard sure opens up tire options. Not a bad idea.
    Much change in the handling?

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

wow. a real Niagara Meteor... cool rare car.

loudbang, czuch and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.
  16. Wish I could give ya a first hand answer. Car is still in Project stage, more correctly "stalled" project stage. I did build a heavy sway bar for it just because. It also narrowed up the shock mount points so I'm sure the sway bar is a plus.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

Yeah I like her. I wouldn't do the gasser thing but its so far from original I don't think it'll ever be a candidate for a full stock restore

Hombre, loudbang and czuch like this.
  18. Screw restoration!! Build a Hot Rod. I went through the Gasser thing when it "Was" the thing. I street drove 2 nose high beam axle Bad boys. They both were daily drivers. Then I got my act together and moved on. Some dreams should be just that. I still enjoy seeing where I came from.

Hombre, loudbang and czuch like this.
  19. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

This one will be close to a daily in the summertime. The shop I work for is big into hot rods (the owner has a 41 Willys and a 55 Chev both done up pro street style) so we like to park them up in a row

loudbang and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  20. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

One other question for you guys. What are the typical theories on front end width on a nose up gasser? I've measured my stock track width... the paper is here somewhere.... anyway, would it be wise to go wider or narrower? Or stay the same as stock? Ill be running skinnies up front on 15x5s

loudbang likes this.
  21. In general you want the front tire track a bit wider than the Back so when it get's loose the rear isn't steering the front. Think Dragsters, that will explain it. How often do you see them spin out?

22. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

I like that thinking. Helps a lot I'm a very visual hands on guy.

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Who said anything about restoration?
    I just like the fact it's a rare 57 Niagara... keep all the emblem bright work,ditch the inner fenders,radius the rear wells,..cut it up!
    There are a few local ones around here!..... I love them,Here is some inspiration. Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.30.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.30.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.31.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.31.45 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.32.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.32.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.32.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.32.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.33.34 PM.png
    Good luck.

24. On the Brown 57 I really like the detail work around the rear tire opening instead of just leaving the raw cut line.

Texas57, Deuces, Hombre and 1 other person like this.
  25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

My buddy Rob did the Metal work on that 57..... . still has the bucks and templates for that car..... it's an animal.

26. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

That first car you posted is my desktop at work lol. That stance. That's it right there.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

The detail work around the rear opening is really awesome. I'd love to replicate it but I'm not sure if i've got the skill to do it correctly.

28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

29. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

429 - 460 Power is made with head work . I’m sure you have looked at the port difference in SCJ/SJ vs 4bbl heads . I trashed a couple of these in my kid era of life . Big Cam and weak valve springs are a bad mix . My SCJ was a real super heavy duty built engine in OEM state . The cam part number ended in X , double nuts on rockers , valve lash caps , and aluminum intake with Ford casting numbers . The SCJ head ports will make the Chebbie crowd look in amazement. I think the only bigger factory ports I have ever seen were the Boss 429 , I don’t know if any of this was aftermarket or not I bought the Torino Cobra used in DragPac trim , one owner 31K on the clock for 1900.00 , sold it 8 months later for 4500.00 thinkin Man , I cleaned house on this one ! I was 23 years old . That car had never been touched or abused , Ford executive getting a divorce was only owner , still had the rev limiter connected . What I loved was inside of the license plate frame where the gas filler neck was located was a sticker , “ Owner must use minumin 105 Octane Rated fuel or serious engine damage will result voiding factory warranty “ , now those were the horse power days for my youth ! That engine would pull that barge Torino Cobra very impressively , Im sure yours will be GAS , to play with .

bantam, 31hotrodguy, Trefl and 2 others like this.