Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Desperate Generation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Desperate Generation

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. knucklenutz

knucklenutz

3. Roots of the HAMB! Cool story,and thanks.

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You set out in search of cool, but cool was driving the truck.

-Abone.

Malcolm and Special Ed like this.

5. NoSurf

NoSurf

Well- I know what I am doing tonight.

6. catdad49

catdad49

I Know what I'm doing Later! Thanks, Ryan.

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan A photo of you during your greaser phase should be included in this thread.

8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Or it didn't happen!

VANDENPLAS, 51 mercules and NoSurf like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

There are no photos of Ryan before 2015. They didn't exist. He was a ghost.

VANDENPLAS, raven and Tim like this.
  10. I'm follicly challenged so I never got to experience a greaser phase.

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My greaser phase. Years later while the follicles on my head failed, the ones
    on my face continued to thrive.

Greaser.jpg Beard.jpg

12. 40oz

40oz
    from kAnSas

McPhail ... MiniTruck? Musta been short lived or my memory is not firing on all 8.

straykatkustoms likes this.
  13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I bet it wasn’t until 2008 that he finally graced the pages of the H.A.M.B.
    thanks Ryan.
    I could imagine you on a skateboard with a pair of high rise black Converse and a greaser cut.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yes, but photos of him were always deleted. I’m sure that’s what he’s referencing

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I remember back about then somebody saying he looked like a young Antonio Banderas, but no, there were no pictures.
    It was rumored if one were to post his image they would be instantly and forever banned

Tim likes this.
  16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Ryan for sharing, I'll be sure to check out the video.

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I have a copy of Desperate Generation somewhere..
    'think I'll dig it out..

18. I missed being in that film by one week. I had been out the week before hanging with Buddy and Suzie of the Lucky Devils at the Mooneyes Christmas party when it was still held at the store. I could not get the next weekend off to come back out for it as Buddy wanted me to. Stupid work I should have done it.

19. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

ive seen it a couple times, its a good watch for sure, my "greaser" style got cut short due to severe battles with stupid plaque psoriasis... nowadays i keep my head shaved so i han apply hydrocortisone and a sun lamp treatment man do i miss my hair though! i was 1 of 1 to my knowledge in the eugene oregon area with the white t shirt, jeans, iron rangers and greased hair at least at that time. since then the hipsters have started doing it, takes some of the fun out of it

20. ....at least you got a greaser phase. I've tried all my life to end up with cool hair and all I end up with is this round shrub on top of my head looking more like Greg Brady than Brian Setzer. After 35 years, I still try with every haircut.....

21. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

GNRS -1-3.jpg Authentic 60's-style cool: Mokan flag starter/pinstriper/paneljammer/drag racing photographer extraordinaire, Dave Hightower in flight!

Photographer unknown.

classiccarjack, LBCD, Malcolm and 2 others like this.
  22. HAHA! @Ryan waxing nostalgic! Oh boy......

Special Ed likes this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had the hair...and the 'rap' that came with it!
    Some authoritan of the times wrote, "Juvenile Delinquency begins in Barber Shops!" -1954
    Yeah, guess that was true...for me and a whole 'generation', the place to start was Dick & Danny's Barber Shop, next door to the bowling alley...
    My Dad had just passed, (1954) some of the older guys said "Dick & Danny's, real cool"
    My hair was getting long, shaggy around the ears, so I strode into the 'Place'... Wow, cool cats waiting for haircuts, some 'pin up' magazines were on the coffee table...'Dude', 'Gent', some others...Playboy wasn't in print yet.
    My turn...
    Danny: (the younger barber) "What about it? Want sideburns? Block the back?"
    Too fast, I wasn't 'hep' yet, asked about the back...Got the block in back, full sides, combed back and a D.A. Man...I was cookin'.
    My Mom didn't think so...A rapid ride back to Dick & Danny's in her lowered Cad as she marched my 13 year old ass back in there...and told Danny to give me a HAIRCUT!
    Some of the guys laughed, (but quiet when she looked around) Danny took a walk out of the shop with her, talked for about 5 minutes! Returned, cut me back in, and 'customized' my cool blocked back into a more conservative-but-still-cool look...a 'Low Taper'!
    Mom said it was 'longer than she liked', but that blocked back was OUT.
    She said it looked like a 'greasy pimp in a New Orleans cat house'!
    Low taper. Wore it like that from '54 to '70, then the long, swept back surfer hair happened...The Seacliff beach was 100 yards back and 75 feet down to the beach, I had a Porsche roadster and a 9 foot Hobie! (and a '27 Hiboy on Deuce rails..."Roots".)
    I'm back to a 'low taper'...and a 'T' Tub...

24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got to disagree with your statement, " Cool is just a phase ". I've run with some guys who could meet any standard of being "Cool" when they were young and still are to this day. There are only those who are " Cool " and those who want to be.

Hnstray and Cosmo49 like this.
  25. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Still trying to wrap my head around this film. Copyright was 1990, so material was probably shot around ‘88 or ‘89. These guys were living in a time warp that has no relation to the 1950’s. However, the mid century modern furniture and accessories were spot on.

classiccarjack and Special Ed like this.
  26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always been nostalgic and liked the greaser/hot rod scene and the music. 1960...I was 3...neighbor boys were greasers through and through...white t-shirts, black leathers, greased hair and loud old cars. We shared a duplex, and I often had close contact with them. As just a little shit, I idolized these people.
    A side note...2 of the 3 brothers and their only sister ended up being in fatal car accidents...the way things were at the time.
    But I can remember just a bit of what it was like before The Beatles and muscle-cars showed up. The hot rodding hobby was strong until the muscle-car era...but then it almost died. As a 9-10 year old in the mid to late '60s, while "The Times They Were A-Changin" and "the dry-look" was "in" and bellbottoms dragged on the school hall floors, I was seeing scores of '32 Fords in the classifieds.
    Yes, I liked the hippies and rock music and all that. But I always remembered and kind of held onto that earlier world that I felt lucky to have had a taste of.
    Then the first resurgence happened. About 1970, I saw a magazine article or two showcasing Pete and Jake's coupes and explaining how they were very much responsible for rise in the popularity of old-style hot rods. I remember Bill Burnham predicting later, (not too long before he passed) that the resurgence would only get stronger.
    Of course, the slicked-off street-rods dominated for a while. I read the mags over the years. At some point, they were showing how a few guys from across the pond were building very traditional hot rods. I mean, truly traditional-style hot rods! And some of 'em were greasing their hair and stuff too. I thought, "Coooool!" It took a little while, but started to gain momentum here too. The street-rodders...especially at first...didn't seem to have warm fuzzy feelings for these simple old hot rods that the owners actually drove...down gravel roads and everything??? :confused::mad: Well...that's just not right! Lol.
    Years went by. I met my wife. We enjoyed a few old cars over the years. And I remember seeing that film, Ryan. It caught my attention too. I was like...No shit?...Cooool!!! Lol.
    My wife and I finally got a computer in early 2008. One of my first internet search terms was "hot rod". Found the HAMB a "ton" of like-minded souls.
    Concerning the old stly of dressing? And immersing yourself in the whole "life-style"? Well...I like it. It's cool. It's fun. I think it can add to the whole atmosphere...the ambiance of the experience. I don't think that I'd dress like that all the time, or go to the trouble of having a vintage refrigerator and everything.
    But for when I might have this old Chrysler on the road, I still have the nice old-style black leather that my wife bought for me.
    I'm 62 years old now. And Sandy's gone.
    Fuck it...I'll probably try greasing my hair too. Bitches!!! Lol.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  27. Isn't prime what you do to yer engine ? Or is that a number.....dang DISD !

28. THIS movie and the second issue of Hot Rod De Luxe had a huge impact on my impressible 20+ years old self and fueled my transition from dedicated vee dub guy to dedicated greaser.

I still have the DVD, gotta find a DVD player though as nowadays everything is in some cloud.

29. Yeah,any photo's of the boss are short lived.

I was chastised for posting the 3 Amigos photo, Ryan, Jeff & someone else. HRP

classiccarjack likes this.
  30. Roothawg

Roothawg

I did the whole greaser thing for a couple of years back 20 or so. Now that I look back, I mostly looked like a tele-evangelist. o_O I always wondered why old ladies wanted to write me checks.....

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    alanp561, Tim, Sancho and 2 others like this.