Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to change 8 lug axle to 5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61 Rodluver, Jan 26, 2019.

1. 61 Rodluver

61 Rodluver

I e got a 61 Chevy C20 wanna keep factory rear end will switch out 4.57 gears but wanna change axles so I can get to a 5 lug. Any tips and sources for axles?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Half ton Chevy axle is 5x5" later...

3. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Cut 3 lugs off

Hollywood-East likes this.
  4. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

You can't it's the full floating hubs that are 8 lugs there were no 5 lug ones

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

porknbeaner likes this.

5. Yup this is correct. Guess you could cut the housing ends off and replace them with car or 1/2 ton truck housing ends and then get custom axles made to fit.

Other option would be to keep the floaters and re-drill the flanges. I would imagine that you would then have to get custom wheels made with the proper clearance for the axle ends and the proper bolt circle. Probably find something in the roundy round world.

Here is something to think about. Back when the hard core dragster guys (think door slammer here) were using a spicer 60 for a rear they just ran steelies on the rear. If it is wheel choice there is nothing in the world wrong with a reversed steely on a truck.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I took the easy way out on my 66 Suburban when I did a front disc brake swap, I called Moser Engineering and had them send a pair of new stock replacement axles with 5 on 5" bolt pattern.
    Then a year later I had Dutchman narrow the housing 12 inches and shorten and respline the axles.

http://www.moserengineering.com

7. squirrel

squirrel

sell your truck and buy a half ton truck, if you want a half ton truck.

8. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

I have welded up several 9" Ford axles and redrilled them Chevy pattern.

9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Is your plan to continue with the C20 suspension and the eight lug up front?

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All jokes aside you can't get there from here with that rear axle.
    If you are wanting 5 on 4-3/4 to match 49/54 car hubs on the front there isn't room enough for the lugs to clear the hub. I went out and measure a 3/4 ton axle I have out of a 72 and the hub is 4-1/2 inches in diameter meaning that the hole in the wheel has to be 4-1/2 inches in diameter + to fit over it. That probably leaves the only 5 lugs wheels that would possibly fit being Ford pickup wheels.
    It just isn't practical to try and use 5 lug wheels on that axle. You would have to have one off custom and very expensive axles made to be able to cut the ends off the axle housing and weld Ford 9 inch ends on (easiest to get) but the expense would be unreal when it all said and done.
    It would be a whole lot easier and less expensive in the long run to have Moser, Dutchman or Curry build you a 9 inch Ford rear with the desired gears, wms to wms width and bolt pattern.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. rusty valley

rusty valley

and, that gm commercial axle had very little to offer for higher gear sets. 411 is about it as i remember

12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Rodluver,

What are you trying to accomplish? You can get to a 5 lug using your axle as a starting point, but why?

If you want 5 lug wheels and retain the strength a 3/4 ton axle bearing you need NASCAR style hubs. These have 2 1/2" axle snouts and full floating hubs. Hubs are generally 5 on 5" BC. Still have to have custom axles made, about $500.

I have a Quickchange with this hub set up in my shop truck. Uses 31 spline axles.(Around $100 ea. brand new)

By the way, I used Stock Car front hubs on 3/4 ton spindles. Bearings had to be honed .001".

5 lug front and rear no sacrifice in strength.

13. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

What you could do is get the spindles and brakes off of a 72 or newer half ton with 5 on 5 bolt pattern along with the rear axle and you would be set the later spindles will fit the earlier independent suspension trucks

14. squirrel

squirrel

60-62 are not the same as 63-66

Sent from my Trimline

15. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Oh I thought they were I helped a friend do a 64 with 78 spindles

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has been done:
    [​IMG]
    That's 6-on-5-1/2". 5-on-5-1/2" would be much the same, less one stud.

18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Now this is getting interesting... I have a Franklin out of a ol' drag truck that has the wide 5, What kinda loot Ya looking at to get into these hub's?

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There should be enough meat in a stock hub to turn it down in a lathe, along with the axle flange, to fit a 5-on-5-1/2" wheel register hole (possibly 5-on-5"). A vertical mill with and end mill and sport facer take care of making positions for the studs.

Socket head cap screws replace the hex bolts for the axle flange. If I remember correctly, that bolt pattern is 8-on-3.96". Let's call it 4". If 1/8" is maintained around the outside of the bolts (enough for a cap screw head), that makes the hub 4-1/4". A typical aftermarket wheel has a center bore of 108.71mm (US Wheel), which is 4.2799.

It's machine work, and a handful of parts. Much the same can be done on the front. It is all up to what the machine shop charges.

If enough hub is left at the original diameter to locate the drums, the can be bolted down by threading the original lug holes, and using fasteners that clear the wheels.

20. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Never thought about it like that, But I sure am going to now.... God Hate's a coward... Thanx for breaking down!

21. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Last question what rotors did you end up using? Thanx!

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is NOT mine. I didn't build it.

I just analyzed it.

23. squirrel

squirrel

it looks to me like it has billet steel hubs...but maybe I'm seeing things?

Anyways, I doubt our intrepid OP was thinking of dropping that much dough at a machine shop. I also think he probably didn't know before he got the truck, what the many differences are between a C10 and a C20.

Hnstray and iwanaflattie like this.
  24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

If I remember right that is a HO 72 rear by Hollander exchange. The HO 52 chunk will also swap in it. I did a disk break swap years ago on a 1951 one ton. Now for a possible cheaper way.
    The frankland wide five hubs will bolt on your rear stubs to the rear. I also have a set of grand national floater hubs bearings etc that are 5x5 that we’re also on that same rear end at one time.(as in the quick change that I put wide fives back on. ) Got the axle tubes also. The stubs on the housing will possibly have to be shorted and rethread the ends or get a pair that bolt on from speed way.(bolts to the original backing plate hole but figure you will have to cut the snout off. Yep you are still gonna have to get a set of double splined axles and drive plates but that part is easy to find used. Those are getting cheap now that all the new qc are so light.Squirrel is right in that it depends on how cheap your machinest works. I got the hubs and even the axle tubes if you want. I’ll damn near give them away. Shipping is gonna be a bitch. The axle tubes are about 30 long and they are steel.
    Black bird makes a disk brake bracket that works on that rear end. For the record the late 14bolt backing plate pattern is the same Because Black Bird interprisses sent me a set and said they would fit. And they did. But that was for the big 8 hole rotor. Best of luck.
    I even converted the stock 8 hole axle to disk as well but that was an I beam so that info is of no use.

25. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

71-72 should bolt right in and would be about 3/4” wider I believe

26. squirrel

squirrel

the 60-62 frame is different from the 63-72 frames. Quite different. Nothing bolts in.