Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thank a lot HotrodA, That is the plan!

2. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Can you tell from my picture in post 416 what tear and model that is ?

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  3. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I can not see it that well but I would think a 31 deluxe. I look at the radiator, fender, cowl, wheel size. I guess deluxe because the windshield looks like the shorter one.
    Nice looking Model A.

Neal

4. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Thanks. Here's his whole collection. He also has a beautiful 1917 T touring. Thier all to nice to cut up. Resized_20181022_172315003 (1).jpeg

brEad, dwollam, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So based on my observations your roadster has a Deluxe Windshield and this Shorter Roadster the Standard
    Perhaps your roadster body including the shield is in fact a Deluxe Roadster...I don't really know the differences
    One other detail I mentioned and you have mentioned it perhaps because I did was leaning the posts and I have since noted that the 28/29 A Roadsters had non adjustable posts at the lower end where the 30/31s did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Again this is in no way to influence you other than to increase period understanding of what these A's looked like and what they may have sported through the years of the Hot rod periods celebrated here.

You mentioned a windshield minus an upper frame...well I happened upon one now this is a 29 and apparently representative of an early 40s Hotrod and it does sport a Windshield frameless on top...It is in fact quite a stunning basic example of a Highboy...quite a popular style to this day...stripped down to make it lighter and streamlined.

[​IMG]

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ult...makes-statement-grand-national-roadster-show/

https://www.hopupmagazine.com/blog/2017/6/27/muroc-roadster

Credit to Photographers, Owner

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    jimgoetz, tb33anda3rd and waxhead like this.
  8. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

That windshield looks like it has a curve in it ! I wonder what it's out of ?

9. I think it's camera angle. The lower frame piece follows the arc of the Cowel top and notice there is no frame piece on the top edge. It looks like the top edge is cut to follow the lower edge and when in the partial open angle the complete glass takes on the bubble look.
    The Wizzard

10. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Makes sense to me. I couldn't figure it out.

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

So that means Shorter is taller!

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RiffRaffRoadster and loudbang like this.
  13. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Maybe I missed something in the thread or no one is addressing the elephant in the room; what's the current status of your project? Is the car and parts still at the original shop?

My advice is to get your vehicle back home before parts end up missing... lost, misplaced, or tossed ---- unless you're "committed" to using this shop (implied or in writing). While you're waiting for Keith (or anyone else) to take look your hotrod, the current shop is probably not as happy about that as you may think.

Unless you have a written agreement with this shop, you may find that they are charging you for storage, not to mention charges for work "completed" plus any other shop fees. I'd hate to see your vehicle end up in shop purgatory with a mechanics lien on it for charges that you may not beware aware of.

Good luck in any direction you you plan to go with bringing this piece of history back to life!

brad2v, raven, cactus1 and 5 others like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

Yea, that makes perfect sense. I don't hire shops to do my work so I don't have experience with this, but I can't imagine why your current shop would like to just store your car in a million pieces while you are interviewing other guys to work on it. No benefit for them. Go get it and put it in a secure location.

brad2v, RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  16. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

32 fenders were easy to mount on my 32 frame/31 coupe body. I used 32 front fenders and model A rear fenders. I just cut the running boards down to the size that they needed to be. To mount the front fenders to the frame I just installed some riv-nuts along the top of the frame since my rails were aftermarket.

Attached Files:

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He may have already done that...but a nudge/heads up may be absolutely warranted.

loudbang and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  18. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks Milner. That may be the way my car was built as well.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  19. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

HotrodHR-no change in situation, but I am picking up the pieces this weekend. The guy that has the car now has been very gracious and stored the car at his place with not charges and he’s an honest guy-he wouldn’t take any parts. However, he just called me and needs room for his next project. I was hoping Rexrods would have taken a look first, but never called back. I’m going to get the car and I’ll store it at my place until I find another shop.

loudbang, David Gersic and slim38 like this.
  20. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

21. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Questions for you Hambers: looking at all the pictures of Model As and ‘32s over the past few weeks I’ve noticed the subtle differences to tell them apart, but there are still a couple of features I can’t discern. I’ve noticed the way the windshield frame attaches to the body is different: Model A has an additional triangular attachment piece where the ‘32 has a sleeker, rounded “foot” attachment point. Also, what I previously thought was part of the frame rails instead was a “splash guard “ along the lower body of the Model A, but on the Duece the tall frame rails are clearly visible and part of the exterior design. Slope of rear fenders are different. I don’t think the gas tank filler is on the front cowl of ‘32. So, questions: are there differences in the radiator shell? Headlight style? How about the rear dimensions from the trunk lid to bottom of body panel? Any other common visual cues? Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  22. redo32

redo32

There are no directly interchangeable body parts between '31 and '32. All the parts you mentioned are different between the two. Do a google image search for each year and we won't have to do it for you.

23. remember that really cute girl in high school and then you meet her REALLY hot sister?.............the model A is the cute one.

brad2v, raven, Atwater Mike and 5 others like this.
  24. Back when your dad built this very cool car- there wasn’t professional people telling young car builders they couldn’t do things or this and that won’t work with this it that- they just built em the way they wanted to and figured stuff out as they went.
    All those custom parts were waiting right there in their imagination.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The model A used separate aprons between the body and running boards, had the cowl mounted gas tank, and a grill shell where the radiator is directly exposed no grill. The 32 had the tank on the rear of the frame ( they cut that part off of yours) different windshield posts and one year only grill & shell along with headlights. The tail panel is longer on a model A.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  26. redo32

redo32

27. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

wow... well my 2 cents since everyone else has given theirs, their wives and their neighbors is hot rods got wrecked, worn out, left to rot, yours made it through 3 eras of owners, style changes and upgrades, so i agree with your plan to stick with the most recent (60s) look since that also represents the other 2 eras this car survived. i did a bit of google digging, warner agency in Amarillo was likely an insurance agency or law firm from what i could tell. insurance agency would line up with a theory of mine given that your car overall is a mishmash of things yet it seems like someone had a totalled or maybe a 4 door? 57 chevy in their junkyard, perhaps the rod was totalled. somehow not branded (did they do that in the 60s)? and the junkyard without even putting it in their name (still the agencies name on bill of sale) stuck a 57 motor, rear, etc in it and some nice current wheels (junkyards get a nice stash of those) on it so they could flip it? i get obsessive about car history haha currently with my 47 i have been searching the p.o.s name and calling numbers, potential family members haha I WILL FIND THE HISTORY!!! mines not as cool as yours but tags expired in 79 so it definitely was on the road last in the same era. ill be watching this thread!

28. As a Model A fan, I will remind you of the desirability of a cute girl vs. her hot sister. Or as one of the greatest swordsmen of all time observed:

"You want the one who looks like the town librarian...trust me."
    -Burt Reynolds after his divorce from Loni Anderson

Think about it. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  29. I wasn't judging, just making the comparison.
    myself? I prefer the ones that can cook and clean.........

30. Hahahahaha! I am with you, brother. That hotter sister is a pain in the neck. Go with the Plain Jane who can cook and clean (and love you like there is no tomorrow!).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019