Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The 1959 Stingray

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The 1959 Stingray

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Shadow Creek, toolz, robber and 12 others like this.
  2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw it at the Museum 2 years ago. What a beautiful car...……..Nice writeup Ryan

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Brings back a lot of good memories, Thanks Ryan

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

"Fraaa gee Leee......Must be Italian"

Great Editorial.

5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

robber, catdad49, heavydumper and 3 others like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Very interesting, thanks for posting. With all the crazy things that have been done to Corvettes I'm surprised it hasn't been cloned. Or has it?

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like Ali vs Frazier, this could go head to head with a Scarab and create equally dramatic discussions. Ferarri GTO? Well, it too could create drama in a purely aesthetic sense, and frankly I find all 3 mentioned to be as sexy as a car can be. Sexy. Now doesn't that conjure a thought or 10? If this felt like it was going somewhere else I commend your intuition. You mentioned it being in your clubhouse at or near the top and I agree, almost totally. The best ever? It came 3 years later and took another 3 to prove it's position in a dramatic 1-2-3 fashion. Yeah, that one. GT40. One of the 3 original developers of that masterpiece is a friend of mine living the good life in FL.

But back to the car in the topic, I seem to have some cobwebbed recall of it advancing over time to bigger and better things, and maybe it was a 2nd version of the Mitchell Stingray through other or maybe peripheral channels. Capable of tremendous top speeds (go figure) it's glamorous body work created serious lift in the front, enough to be dangerous which required some reconfiguration for safety's sake. Maybe others well researched could shed light. At the end of it all one could hardly argue that Bill Mitchell was as genius to automotive style as old Hollywood was to creating leading ladies. Good stuff Ryan. Happy New Year.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  8. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I'm old and can't swear to this, but i'm pretty sure i saw this car in Don Yenko's home garage.

9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Coolness factor off the charts right there!
    TCB⚡
    [​IMG]

10. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The stuff that legends are made out of. Cooler than cool. I'd like to hear that 315 hp 283 scream through open side pipes at 8 k , being shifted up and down, round after round, chased by Ferraris, Jags, Aston Martins and showing them who's Boss.
    I need to see that Museum in Bowling Green one day.

11. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pretty good read and when you place it next to the 59 Vette it is really a remarkable design. In spite of the stodgy old suits upstairs, the "New" Corvette design was a no brainer. It is a beautiful car to study up close. As much as I like it though I would have a tough decision turning down a spot for a 62 GTO Ferrari in my barn.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  12. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

WOW, after seeing these pics, I think I might have to agree.
    My short list: this, GTO, MB 300SLR Coupe, MASERATI A6GCS PF Coupe, Scarab.
    This is just Post War mind you.

13. Is that @porknbeaner manning the pump?

14. Such a gorgeous car, saw it (or a replica?) at the Petersen museum almost 3 years ago. Was able to get really close to it and take some photos.

corvette.jpg

15. @Sancho That could be me in the service station, I was born old according to my old man. LOL

@Ryan cool read man. I am not aware if you ever saw it but there was a red Stingray running around town here for a while that was patterned after that car. The proportions were a little different because the original car is a little longer in the flanks and the front quarters, and the windscreen was a little more swoopy, but it sure brought that original car to mind.

16. Beautiful car! But, I think if I were limiting it to cars driven by the King, I think I'd have to go for John Athan's well preserved AV8.
    R2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg 3-Hot-Rods007.jpg

robber, catdad49, heavydumper and 4 others like this.
  17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

If I could afford a Vette, this would be the one,,, too bad no one splashed a mold off it at one time,,,

Rolleiflex likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not clear on the full lineage of the car but I can't believe Mitchell had a hand in that hideous snorkel hood scoop, though there has been talk of it being tied to the big block transplant in later years, maybe some clueless movie executive thought it was a good idea.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Although I like the car's initial styling best, I do like the hood scoop in a fun sort of way... It was used to make room for the injection on top of the BBC and I love how the plexiglass shows off the injectors themselves. That being said, this hood would look like shit in a very short period of time if the car was ever used as intended....

For the movie though? Totally boss.

20. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Best looking sports car ever in my opinion. And those studio shots....Wow!

He should have left well enough alone though, in my opinion. The re-do reminds me of too many classic customs that were unadvisedly "restyled" for whatever reason later. Red does match Technicolor Elvis better than silver, though!

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

This past summer I was able to photograph the Stingray at St John's and I came back several times to look it over once again. Another car though that I photographed that I would love to own and drive is one of the SR2s. This which I believe is the second and is a late 56, I believe, is hard to beat for good looks as well. Would be a different animal to drive but it still would be a hoot more than likely. SJ-18 013s.jpg
    SJ-18 039r.jpg SJ-18 040.JPG

22. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Back in the late 50's either GM or Fisher, I can't remember which, held contests every year for auto design. When you enter you would receive a set of wheels and axles. There may have been more parts ??? You would build a car of your choosing out of plaster of paris scaled to the wheels. The contests were judged and winners would receive cash prizes. One of my friends, Bill McKeil, entered in 1958 and 1959. The first car was a roadster and the second a coupe. Both years he won either $50 or $100 dollar prizes. The promoters kept the designs but the models were returned to the builder. Bill passed away 10 years ago but his brother still has the models. The whole point of this rambling is the first model was almost a dead ringer for the '63 Stingray and the coupe was awful close to the '67 Camaro. His brother is in Florida for the winter and the cars are in New England. If I can find some pictures I'll post them. I have wondered for years if this is where those two designs were born...

23. AmishMike

AmishMike

^^^^^ would love to see those models. Ictures from various angles please

24. satan'schariot

satan'schariot

Back in the early 60's my dad was taking his 27 t roadster to a lot of car show across the country and at one of them they were pushing the stingray into the show floor and they needed someone to steer it they looked at dad and said hey man could you hop in and steer , He said I sure can ! so he got to drive it just not under power LOL

25. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

IMO, that is the best looking sports car ever built
    And 2nd is Reventlow’s Scarabs

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good god, what a video (the crash, not Elvis.) Damn Boss if you don't have motor oil in your veins. Great story, gorgeous car!

27. Rckt98

Rckt98

I had never seen the film of the crash before (thanks for the link).
    Hard to believe the race pretty much carried on around the carnage.

28. Found some more photos of the Stingray… and a Mercedes that ain't half bad.

IMG_3397.jpg
    IMG_3398.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg

robber and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. jimdillon

jimdillon

As much as I like the car all nice and shiny there is something I like about this picture. It appears there may be a bit of dust here and there on the car. I assume that is the flying dentist behind the wheel. STR7.JPG

30. bbobster

bbobster
    from Oklahoma

Best lookin' ever discussion you gotta include '61 XKE.

rpm56 likes this.