Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

No plans to ditch the fenders.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, waxhead, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  2. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Slim38-long shot but you may be able to help me out. My Dad bought this car from the “Warner Agency” in Amarillo in late 1970. You live near there-ever heard of them? Are there any older hot rodders that you know that may recognize the car or the seller?
    The car has some unique features: Model A body on Deuce frame with modified Deuce fenders, may have been previously a hi-boy in late ‘40s in SoCal, updated with fenders and drivetrain from ‘57 Chevy in the ‘60s, and has a dash insert from a 1933/34 Pierce Arrow. Some of the Hambers think these things would have made it stand out in 1970 Amarillo. Any help would be appreciated!

loudbang, slim38, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

A-MEN!!! You nailed it!

Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  4. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Great advice-thanks. I've learned a lot on this message board and will try not to screw this up.

Hot Rod Nut, loudbang and slim38 like this.
  5. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

There was a thread on here, An someone more skilled than I, Could post it, But he as well ended up getting involved in a unbelievably Kool 32 I believe(Pontiac powered), That was his Father's! His Father's health was in decline if I remember correctly, Had watched a couple of episodes of pick your programing on cable TV. And wanted to basically throw an ass ton of loot at it redoing everything his dad had built... It was Bad Ass! After coming on here, An keeping an open ear to the crew, He really started to understand How rare of an opportunity he Actually had.... You my friend Have everything but new tire's,an a lil' elbow grease an some fab work underneath an this/that to a car that I'm sure someone will more than likely find in a magazine before your family got it...watch!
    OK, I need another drink... Cheer's

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to be clear...yes I posted Ryans Hotrod by request by the post directly above by Hamber Raven...secondly it is an example of Rex Rod and Customs craftsmanship.

I do believe this Hotrod of Riff's spent time as a Highboy evidenced by the tailight holes welded up (possibly 48 Chev) in the lower trunk pan in addition to the fact the installation of fenders was more difficult or less performed to an A body on a Deuce frame. This is still all an assumption of course as they ran tailights there even with fenders.

Based on that assumption yes I did post Highboys to give Riff a vision of that potential look.

The Brocchini Roadster did transition to Full fender from Highboy in the mid fifties and I also posted and mentioned it as well.

There actually has been little conversation or suggestion to ditch the fenders but at some point if he was to find it had been a Highboy he certainly could exercise that as a historic change to another period of this roadsters past with actually little modification rather just an unbolting as they did when racing at the Dry Lakes back in the day..

I am glad he is keeping the fenders but at the same time getting up to speed on the possibilities of this Hotrods past lives prior to his late Fathers ownership of it. Its an interesting story.

7. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I can sure ask around. The man I bought my 38 from is involved in the hot rod world and has several cars. He has to be in his 70s and lives in Amarillo. Ill give him a call.

8. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Great-thank you sir.

Stogy likes this.
  9. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Yes that's what think. The number would have been stamped in 3 places on the left side top of the frame. Just behind the steering box at about the fire wall, about the middle about under the door sill, and on the back kick up. The last one may have been cut off on your frame. There very hard to find on an old hot rod because they weren't stamped very deep and a little rust or a little grinding and there gone.

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  10. What an amazing roadster! If you don't put it back to exactly the way your dad bought it you are dead to me! :D

11. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Well we’ll try to get it as close as we can!

loudbang, Stogy and cactus1 like this.
  12. Not trying to toot my own horn here but this is a car that was built in 1958. I bought it from the ORIGINAL builder a couple of years ago after it had been in storage for 52 years! I went through the brakes etc and got the engine unstuck and put some new appropriate tires on it and had a blast with it this last year! Took it to the Hamb Drags and the Hot Rod Hill Climb in Colorado and did some hot rodding! Don’t over think it! B213C79B-CE0F-4CCB-8D51-F05D9521A325.jpeg

13. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Awesome, congrats! I’ll keep posting updates as I take this journey and I’ll try to not to overthink it. Thanks Cactus1.

loudbang, Tim, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Riffraff, I am so glad you caught on to the value of your car! You are now heading in the right direction congratulations! Gary:)

brad2v, Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  15. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Dyce-I don’t know which is cooler-your “Coupester” or your shop! Is this your personal garage or are you a professional builder?

Stogy likes this.
  16. pitman

pitman

Riffraff, all good advice offered up. When I built my previous 31 roadster, Jay Carnine, C9 on here advised pinching the deuce rails. As a highboy it ran cycle front fenders. You can run full fronts, just aim (w/brackets) to keep the outer fender trim aligned (equal in OA width) to your rear fenders. The front X member will determine over all side-to-side fender bracket width.

17. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Pitman-thanks for the comments. I don’t think there is an issue with fit or alignment the way the car is currently built. My original post when I joined the group a week ago was checking if a prefab Pete and Jakes chassis would allow me to use the Model A body and ‘32 fenders as P&Js said it wouldn’t work. Then these crazy Hamber guys set me straight and convinced me to use the original frame which I think is already pinched. I will check the OA alignment of full front fenders with the rears. Thanks!

18. Never asked if it was pinched.....my uncles A on deuce rails with deuce fenders that's in the 1956 Hot Rod Annual with the Bertolucci paint....then a little later 1959 with the gold repaint.... Scan9_0009.jpg sr 1.jpg

pitman, brad2v, chriseakin and 9 others like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. redo32

redo32

I don't know why everybody keeps insisting on pinching '32 rails for a Model A. It was rarely done in the old days, they just used a wood filler to fit the flat A floor to the curved '32 frame. Pinching the rails is actually a Street Rod modification to make everything smoother. There is a thread here about a Hamber saving a '30 Vicky body and fitting a '32 firewall. I didn't think it would fit, but guess what..... it does.
    32 firewall.jpg

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@RiffRaffRoadster I still believe someone posted your Roadster here just 1 shot. You said no but you did mention having the hotrod out for a tranny change so if you drove it or had it outside for a bit wherever it was. It looked to be in a parking lot and I thought it was a thread on what did you see type of theme. Its just a random someone saw it snapped it and posted it...I'm still looking...;)

tb33anda3rd and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  22. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

That’s amazing! This would have been in the mid-2,000s, maybe 2005/6?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  23. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stance is pretty similar. Since our car has the ‘57 Chevy power plant update and my Dad bought it in 1970, I know it’s a ‘60’s era hot rod, but how can I tell if it’s early ‘60’s vs. late ‘60’s. Is there a difference in styles? What are the clues?

loudbang likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clues to period of build early to mid sixties...

Tires and Rims
    Generator versus alternator
    Tailights
    Brakes
    Engine/Transmission
    Steering wheel and steering box
    Transverse rear Spring versus covers
    Upgraded Power Brakes
    Gauges
    Interior
    And of course...Dohickeys...:D

Your Hotrod looks kinda mid sixties and back although me being 5 at the time might not make my assumptions spot on...Others will chime in with additional info.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    pitman and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked through the "What did you see Today" thread twice no luck but I think there was another similar thread before that one come about. When pics were taken is all over the place the Hamb has been going since 2000ish.

26. F&J

F&J

If I had to bet money, I'd say it was already a hotrod at least in the 50s, but it was updated by at least the mid to late 60s. The filled-in previous taillights prove its "style" was "changed" at some point. It could date to the flathead-powered era, but with no known history, we are guessing.

brad2v, Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  27. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Any chance the white wall tires that came off the car have any date codes?

RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Was your father ever a "Raven" Fac ?

29. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I have a 27 roadster on a 32 frame that was originally built in the early 50's. The frame wasn't pinched, the firewall was split and the cowl jacked out to fit the frame. You can see the notch at the bottom. I left it there.

Attached Files:

30. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Jimgoetz-are both methods acceptable? Are there pros/cons to pinching frame vs. expanding firewall and cowl?