Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

OK - everyone CALM THE HELL DOWN!!!

I just got off the phone with Rudy, the Shop Manager from RexRods near where I live. Apparently the owner Keith is out of town but has been getting hammered by all the posts and comments on H.A.M.B. about my car and had Rudy call me to see what the fuss is all about. We had a very good conversation and he thinks there is the potential that this car may be a "historic survivor", especially when I told him the current builders pulled a bunch of old newspaper out of the doors and they dated from 1947 California! We both agreed that we havent ruined the car yet, other than disassemble the body and blast off then old laquer paint. All the pieces are still intact. Everything is now on hold until Keith and/or his guys can come out and look at it. Are you all happy now!? I thought I wanted a bitchin' 'Resto-Rod' with a prefab chassis, tilt-steering, and a miles-deep paint job, but apparently I'm destined to drive an old A-Body-on Deuce frame-with-'32 fenders, battle-scarred warrior from back in the day. Will you guys at least allow me to re-do the interior?

2. alchemy

alchemy

3. F&J

F&J

LMAO here!!

why Yes, we are!
    You won't regret it..trust in that..

Yes, you need nice clean white & some other color contrast Roll & Pleat to make all the countless chicks get all dreamy eyed when they WILL look in there.. Then when they catch a wiff of that vanilla or lilac spray aroma stuff, they will climb right the heck in. (it worked for me):oops::cool:

4. Dyce

Dyce

20171231_233436.jpg 20171226_194453.jpg
    On my " coupster" (sometimes a dirty word here) I made the rear fenders to fit the car. You are blessed to have a car like that because so few survived, and on top of that it was your dad's!! Incredible

5. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

awesome looking car. Should I consider modding the windshiled fram like you did, or leave it original?

Stogy likes this.
  6. Dyce

Dyce

I am honored to have my dad's 1940 chevy that he built before he passed away. He enjoyed the car and drove it a lot, but there were thinks he wished he had done differently of coarse. I've redone many of those things since I became caretaker.

Your roadster on the other hand, you said your dad drove it a year maybe 2 and it was parked. Was there some things he wasn't happy with on the car? We're there things he didn't like? I'm not totally against updating the car if it means the car will be safer and you will be more comfortable. You don't want to get the car done so it can sit like it did before you got it. If you dont know your dad's feelings towards the car, talk to a few of his friends.

loudbang, RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  7. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I'm sure glad you added that "Kidding" to your photo'd post. I was about to go off on you! :eek::D

Also very glad you are getting with the right shop to take over this project. A lot of very capable shops don't get the old school traditional vibe and want to "update" a car with the latest and greatest (and expensive) parts. You made the right choice (in my opinion) to try to keep this car as it was. Really looking forward to seeing this car get redone. Good luck with it!

19Eddy30, slim38, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Listen to Rudy and Keith. They know!

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@RiffRaffRoadster good on you...hey you are experiencing a passion here and that's a thing that unites us. I would wager a guess that your Hotrod spent time as a Highboy in its history...that was typical of what was done when A bodies were put on 32 frames...

The A Highboy (which means Hotrod with no fenders) I posted did in fact in the middle 50's have fenders added and quite frankly it looks awesome...this Hotrod however has a Hallock style windshield much like what Hamber @Dyce created in inspiration.

I don't think you should run Hallock or Duvall windshield...However a very popular Hotrod mod to your type of roadster was to chop the Windshield posts slant them back and that actually looked spot on. That said get the historical evaluation done and then consider your path to your dream.

Brocchini-Ford-Model-A-roadster.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ith-fenders-help.1133905/page-3#post-12882201

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  11. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Dyce - thanks for the comment. My Dad loved old cars, and made alot of 'impulse buys' but didn't seem to have the time or inclination to fix them up and enjoy them. It was probably because he was an Air Force officer and was transferred every 3 years and was forced to store them for extended periods. He had an old '57 Buick when I was born and he kept it until I was 10. He bought the Model A Roadster in 1970, a 1941 Cadillac Series 62 fastback coupe (that we still have - I'll post pics later) in 1977, a 1950 Chevy in 1979 (sold), and 1966 Mustang in 1982 (sold).
    I'm committed to not repeating the same pattern. I wanted him to restore the Roadster since I was a kid, and now that I have it and can afford it, I want to do it right. Some things I'd like to improve? It drove like a tank and never stopped very well, and the upholstered seat was too thick and put the driver too close to the steering wheel. I'd like to upgrade some of these things.

loudbang, slim38, pprather and 4 others like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I know you told me to calm down but now I’m all excited!
    I see zero reason to not re paint it and do a nice interior. The car was shiny when it was a new build I’m sure.

Excited what comes of this, Rex rods will steer you straight

13. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

56442235742__981D2367-13D8-4915-8CFE-E276670F06F5.JPG IMG_2225.JPG
    Some pics of the 1941 Cadillac. No, I’m not hot-rodding this car, so don’t even go there!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@RiffRaffRoadster do check out @Dyce's build...he is quite the Craftsman and Hotrodder...;)...I was actually thinking of him while rapping with you as he is doing A on Deuce frame with fenders.

RiffRaffRoadster and Dyce like this.
  15. Dyce

Dyce

Good plan!!

RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Anxious to hear (see) what Keith and Rudy declare on cross members, steering, etc.

Front brakes probably '40 Ford, actually work fine on 2400 lb. A/Deuces when properly arced and adjusted. (!) Good luck...Glad you stopped the 'new restorers' in time.

17. alchemy

alchemy

I'd bet Rex Rods can fine tune the existing springs and shocks to get the ride more comfortable, and your new upholsterer can adjust the stuffing to fit you. It just takes a guy who is familiar with how these parts work in concert to make them sing.

18. VonWegener

VonWegener

Every year the title and registration requirements by the Man are getting worse. To me having an original chassis is the only way to assure that in future years my car will not be reclassified as a gross polluter or danger to society. So far even in California they have left genuine antique cars alone.
    A new chassis means getting a special construction or assembled vehicle title with the current year build date. I would stay away from that at all costs.

19. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

All I can say is YESYES YES Good plan!:):);):D

RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  20. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Found a picture of my Dad and younger sister with the Model A Roadster probably 1971-72. I forgot how shiny it was when he first bought it...

Attached Files:

brad2v, Old-Soul, lodaddyo and 27 others like this.
  21. flatford39

flatford39

Any guy who can wear striped shirts and plaid pants is all right in my world...he had to be a tough SOB.

That is just a beautiful picture. You are a really lucky guy.

Old-Soul, Blues4U, 46Chief and 7 others like this.
  22. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

..and here is photo my Dad took in Amarillo when he bought the car in 1970...

Attached Files:

23. flatford39

flatford39

Riff...you acquired a survivor. Enough said. Do the right thing and bring it back like the day your Dad bought it.

After that you are on your own.

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  24. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Yeah - his specialty wasn't civilian clothes - that's for sure. And he was tough, in his own way.

Attached Files:

25. VonWegener

VonWegener

I like that car just the way it is. Bring it back to it's former glory and buy some plaid pants to really enjoy the first drive.

dwollam, LBCD, hotrodtodd1960 and 3 others like this.
  26. T38 picture was at Randolph AFB.

loudbang, Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  27. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks Rudy. I'm starting to get excited about this. By the way - I found the original bill of sale and all it has is "Warner Agency, Amarillo, TX" as the seller. Late 1970.

28. Wow, if you can get it back close to those two photos you will have made a Home Run my friend.

brad2v, Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  29. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

what a difference 50 years in storage makes...

Attached Files:

30. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Could of been the only time “ it will buff out “ statement might have been true