Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. What brakes are on it now and what do you consider "better brakes"? They look like '40-'48 Ford brakes which I don't have a problem with. The reproduction Lincoln brakes would be better.

Charlie Stephens

F&J likes this.
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

Looks like you have a great car to start with. If the shop thinks that is a Chev front end, you should take it to another shop. Anyhow, here is a scan taken from Hot Rod Yearbook #2. The poor scan is due to me not wanting to hurt the spine on my old magazine. This is another fendered Model A on a deuce frame. Scan-181225-0001.jpg

brEad, gonzo, 1low52 and 7 others like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I flipped threw this kinda fast but 1: I’d talk to Keith at Rex rods. He’d probably get that thing back together and ready to rock faster than you could blink and he’s not going to fuck the car up.

2: if you still want to swap to a Pete and Jakes chassis they can make you what you need. I’m thinking you have 32’ fenders and boards with the rear quarters modified to let the rears fit correctly. If you need a hand explaining what you’ve got to them give me a hollar I’d be happy to help explain it to them.

In the end I’d think you’d be ahead to have Keith at least look at it

4. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thank Tim. This photo is remarkably similar to our car. I’ll be calling Keith.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Stogy, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  5. Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    loudbang, RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  6. redo32

redo32

I wish you would have posted the pictures of pulling it out of storage before you took it to the misinformed shop that couldn't recognize period perfect hot rod building. I'm sure everyone here would have advised you to clean it up and get it running as a patina'ed traditional rod. Sure the welding and fabrication is not up to today's lazer cut tig welded, 1-800 technology, but it was at the time a fully functional fun car.

I second (or third ) the suggestion to get Keith Tardel involved. He is hard to contact (it's been stated here). Now would be a good time to familiarize yourself with this site. There have been many posts on projects he has done with the boss here.

Now would be a good time to epoxy prime the sandblasted sheet metal, if it hasn't already been done. I hear stuff flash rust sreal fast down there.

When you get a chance post more detailed pictures of the chassis and any parts you would like to know more about. Us keyboard jockey's love I.D. ing parts and telling you what to do with them.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I’m really kinda of smitten with your little car I hope you understand and respect what it is ... I hope you choose to keep as much of it as intact as you can , it looks to me as if that chassis had a few updates , the cutting of the k member bottom was pretty common to put a late model trans in ect the late model rear install isn’t that bad considering it’s an old hotrod..

Kieth will be able to clean all of that stuff up and brace and gusset those things accordingly, which is how I think you should approach it for the cars sake , but here is the kicker you need to have an honest talk about what you expect from that car and what you can live with...

Kieth is capable of making all that old hotrod stuff work as well as it can , but it won’t ever be as solid feeling as a fully boxed Vega steered Pete and Jakes chassis .. but also that bitchin Pete and Jakes frame will never feel / drive like a c-6 corvette

I worked with kieth and his dad for awhile , and one of the most interesting things I saw his dad do was when a person came in wanting a traditional hotrod they talked money then if that didn’t scare them away Vern threw the keys to an old roadster at them and said don’t comeback till tonight.... and fill it up , if they came back all excited they were a customer , if they came back with complaints it didn’t drive like their new Toyota , sorry can’t help you

:Edit

Sorry ...I blew past the pics of it all tore apart somehow... what is left from the original car yet?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  8. 1930BeachRat

1930BeachRat

The guy refinishing your car should be perfectly capable of making fender and running board mounts if that’s really the way you want to go

RiffRaffRoadster and loudbang like this.
  9. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

IMG_2251.JPG IMG_2252.JPG IMG_2315.JPG IMG_2314.JPG

Before I found this site, I was prepared to have this car rebuilt to be more modern, comfortable, reliable, and high performance, but leave as much of the “old look” as possible.
    As I stated earlier, my Dad always said this was a “junkyard build” that was part Model A, part ‘32, and part 57 Chevy. Now, the more I learn that this car may be more unique than I thought, I am reconsidering my plan. I don’t think too much damage has been done yet. They took the body off the frame and will be working to clean it up. There is a little rust and they will be cutting it out and re-filling. They claim there is a lot of lead repairs in the body that they will be “melting out” so the new paint will adhere. The rolling chassis is set aside and untouched.
    I’ll try to get in touch with Keith and ask him if he would be willing to take a look.
    Again-I really appreciate all the great feedback from everyone!

10. redo32

redo32

Every time you quote what the shop told you, my doubts that they know what they are doing increases 10 fold. Will they butt weld in patch panels and metal finish? Sounds like they are the type that will overlap and fill with Bondo. Lead has been used in auto body repair and in new car production for close to 100 years. If done properly it can be painted over with no problems. If they can't paint over this I seriously doubt their methods and abilities.

Hot Rod Nut, brEad, 19Eddy30 and 5 others like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not sure how modern restorations of period Hotrods work with lead repairs but my first thoughts are that they may leave as is if all is still stable and well shaped and where things are being cut away take photos beforehand if not holding off before getting a second opinion from a preservationist historic standpoint. What I am saying is historical identifiers ie. taillight locations. if cut away may hasten identification. Did they cut out the wheelwells?

Just an observation about tailights being in the lower trunk pan may point to this roadster being a Highboy (fenderless) at one time prior to your dad owning it.

It may have been in movies in the 40s 50s for example in addition to a racer or street Hotrod. I actually did some travel math and El Mirage or Bonneville was 10 to 12 Hours drive away and I am sure many a Hotrodder made the trek religiously back in the day and street racing evoking to 1/4 mile strip racing was also happening.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  12. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

They did cut out the wheel wells I believe. I’d like to believe this car may have a cool history, but how could anyone tell? Weren’t there millions of Model As built, and tens of thousands of them hot rodded between ‘40s and ‘60s? I know nothing about this car except it was purchased from a classified ad in 1970 from a guy in Amarillo. I searched online for the VIN number but nothing came up.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you get something with some of the cool hardware you have shared with us I would put money on a historic connection worth preserving with as said as much of the existing components and repairing the necessary items only.

For instance your brakes may need only an overhaul perhaps the drums are still like new. I really like honest opinions by people who understand period vehicles...I look at that frame and still think really whats wrong with it Original steel is very sought after. Period correct and adequate frame repair may only be a partial box with cross-member upgrading. Its not and doesn't have to be a disc braked, coil over, panhard barred, roll caged, modern thing...hey that gas tank is a great traditional clue to its past. Was the original tank cut away underneath...somewhat crudely...mine was...and thats what they did.

Its your car but if it was mine I would stop all work get it home to have a historic assessment by another party ie Rexrods and continue to get it roadworthy with a second opinion. They are only time capsules once. After digging and cutting and getting rid of the old its gone forever. Your Hotrod deserves an honest historic evaluation and if it turns out to be one of thousands of unknown Hotrods I'd still use as much of the original parts replacing only whats needs to make it safe and trust me that ole Smallblock has plenty of power to make you happy. Mine has a 327 and 57 Chev rear a very popular period combo.

Riff I'm glad you hooked up with the Hamb and after your done I want you to be as Happy as I was to take my first ride. The advice for second evaluations is rock solid...The boss here...Ryan has nothing but the utmost repect for Rexrods/Tardels and on and on there are very many highly regarded teams and individuals here.

Local to you is a sensible determining factor in choice of help. Please continue to share...You know the coolest thing about all of this is I sense you are from a younger generation but your Dad gave you something very special and its much more than the Hotrod. I again can't imagine your thoughts that will be within the first drive down the road in this thing. Take it to a place he and you went when you were young park it and share the spirit. He will be proud of you. Merry Christmas...;)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  14. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Ok-I notified the guy who has the car and asked him to stop what he’s doing until I come out and talk to him about what I learned over the past 2 days. I also emailed Keith at Rexrods and gave him the lowdown and asked him if he would take a look at the car. Their website is not current so I emailed the address on the Facebook page. Hope it went through. Thanks again everyone.

Hot Rod Nut and Stogy like this.
  15. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

By the way-this is what I’m hoping the car looks like when I’m all through with it...
    IMG_0365.JPG
    Kidding!

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:D...that cars like a swear word around here...just so not here...I am proud of your choices you are making...;)

Did you look through WoodieMikes thread...I often wonder where my Hotrod traveled in its journey to now. Mind you its a new build (2010) of a series of parts from many directions...I think yours probably came to the wreckers near as your dad received it...1 complete ride...now just curious the tagging is 1972...How long did your dad have it prior to that again?

RiffRaffRoadster and slv63 like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a couple of threads here Period correct 40's Hotrods and Period Correct 50's Hotrods...those may be worth a look...to glean what it may have looked like. The Slots are a good indicator of when it perhaps ended in the yard or perhaps your Dad added them...any pics you can find in you family photos that can help connect the dots. Tell me did you ever get out with your dad in this Hotrod?

Just a heads up this is a timing tag from El Mirage often attached to the dash or firewall and trust those fellas were proud of them...perhaps on a close inspection you may find 4 holes or more where they were attached...

[​IMG]
    https://ahrf.com/blogs/jims-news/posts/old-newspapers-to-the-rescue

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  18. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I believe he bought it in ‘70 or ‘71. Drove it for a year or two then got stationed overseas. Went into storage after that. I was only 8 or 9 at the time and yes, drove it around San Antonio a bit. Not too many photos, I think My Mom has one of him and his new toy. I’ll try to find it and post it.

Stogy likes this.
  19. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I’ll take a look when I go out there Thursday

Stogy likes this.
  20. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Afraid I don’t know

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So you had a bit of Hotrod Yahoo!!! already...Young as you were that's pretty cool.

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been searching for a candidate as an example of the possible evolution of a Hotrod such as yours.

Lawrence-Brocchini-1931-Ford-roadster.jpg

This Model A on 32 Frame Hotrod had a racing past and evolved into a full fendered olds powered Hotrod in the Fifties on that 32 frame...and its whereabouts today are unknown...this type of stuff played out over and over as you can imagine...the unique windshield with probable rework around where it mounted distances it as the one you have...but it is easy to see possibilities.

https://www.roddersjournal.com/portfolio-item/westergard-at-bonneville/

A couple of very unique features on your ride are the full fenders with A body on 32 frame and the nerf/push type Bumpers and that Dash cluster.​

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Hot Rod Nut, brEad, slim38 and 2 others like this.
  24. [​IMG]For a Hot Rod built when yours was I would expect nothing different than what I see . It was built in the day of Buzz Box stick welders and a Gas Ax, just like thousands of others. What you have there is a Time Warp that most here would kill to find. Just because we do things different now days don't make them any more serviceable. Different isn't always Better. Sounds like your going to spend a Ton of $$$ just to put the same Smile on your face that it would have done as it is, or was.
    What is up with removing all the Lead???? Those guys are uninformed!!! I have cars out there with 50 year old Lead in them that have been re painted on top of it with no issues at all. I gotta say it sound to me like your getting a total Working Over just based on a different way of doing the same thing. I have often said "give 5 Craftsman the same job to do and you'll get the same job done 5 different ways" The finished job is all that matters, how they get there don't. The Lead hasn't fallen out yet, what makes them think it's going to? Today's paint won't stick to it? They are Totally misinformed! Get back to your Basics, make your Dad's car what it was "For Fun" not an open ended Cash Cow for a "Our Way Only" Hot Rod shop.

25. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I feel like this car was saved in the nick of time and if this dude listens to y'all this car is going to be so god damn kick-ass.

brad2v, Hot Rod Nut, brEad and 8 others like this.
  26. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Welcome! Please get your car back from where ever they are working on it! Make a couple new local friends from the HAMB and preserve the car! It looks very proper to me and is a piece of history that I would like to see preserved. Make it period safe and drive the wheels off ! Gary:)

27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Been a chassis builder for almost 40 years and I would disassemble your present chassis, clean it up, update it to modern standards and reuse it. Looks like the wheelbase needs a slight tweak and some suspension cleanup but the overall look of the car is bitchin. We gotta preserve the history of the cars of the past. Good luck.

28. alchemy

alchemy

There's another reason to find another builder. If he thinks that front axle is a Chevy he is obviously not experienced with old Fords and shouldn't be in charge of the rebuild of your time capsule. If he can't recognize an old Ford axle and brakes he should stick to rebuilding Camaros. And, your rear axle is a late 50's to early 60's Chevy. Nothing wrong with saving that as well.

29. F&J

F&J

I cannot agree more...Either a person "gets" the old ways, or they don't.

It is not sacrilege to a street rodder, but it is to the guys responding here...including me..

I had to stop reading new responses on this thread yesterday as it was looking like aother old time car going to get 1-800-RUINED. >>> But this last post ^^^shows new hope that it's not too late to save this cool-ass old hotrod.

My 32 has zero modern parts, and no 1-800 parts...and...it's my daily driver. The only other registered vehicle here is a 66 Chevy camper special,...... and I live alone, so I can't "take the GF or wife's modern car".

One huge thing that newbies with good intentions misses?>>. You originally wanted "more modern, comfortable, reliable, and high performance".... You do all that and then get along side of a new Challenger or even a WRX, and you best prepare to have your ass handed to you! People just don't get it...meaning this old school stuff always gets the looks in a big way when you are surrounded by factory performance cars!

Fly out here and we will go for a "little ride" in mine...drum brakes, single circuit brakes, big Early Olds Rocket, top-shift trans, bias tires, bla bla. It rides like glass on buggy springs, and handles like it's on rails ...and then please notice how many people pass by with raised fists! This is a whole different experience than you could ever possibly imagine, no lie.
    x1000

30. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Great talking with you! We look forward to meeting with you and checking out your hot rod.

Thanks,
    Rudy
    Rex Rod & Chassis

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.