Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

C088056C-EFEC-41EA-B221-089480B385BA.jpeg 9D6ED3D8-DD05-48B9-96FE-895A92C8324C.jpeg 019C531C-ABBF-49ED-BB9C-004B30762D00.jpeg AAD257A9-3441-4522-9088-EC383184C9EE.jpeg 25C68A10-79E4-4696-BC1F-C168AC66A91C.jpeg C824539E-2280-4A3F-B89A-C009279CFAA8.jpeg
    Just registered.
    I have an old 1960’s era Street Rod that I inherited from my late Dad that’s been in the family (and in storage) for 40 years. It appears to be a 1931 Model A body on a chopped up ‘32 chassis/frame and it is full-fendered. I want to keep it this way. I’m having it completely re-done, and here’s my problem: most of the experts I have talked to say that you can’t use fenders when putting a Model A body on a Deuce frame. You can only build it High-Boy style.
    Can you all look at the pics attached and verify that I have what I think I have, and let me know if there are any tricks to look out for? I want to buy a prefab ‘32 rolling chassis from Pete and Jakes and they are saying I can’t use fenders. Thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Nailhead A-V8, Stogy, brEad and 2 others like this.
  2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

What's wrong with the frame in the pics? Change the wheels, and you will have a bad ass hot rod. Wash it, then drive... repeat.

3. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

The guys doing the rebuild said it wasn’t safe-lot of cuts and bad welds.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would question that idea with another opinion. Original frame and numbers is worth preserving if possible. Its just metal. Cut, weld, grind, repeat. '32 front fenders and running boards will mate up fine to the chassis, only where the rear fenders meet the quarters might be an issue. Can't say I've seen a A body with deuce fenders.

6. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

fix that frame and put it back together looks good --needs rims/tires changed don't get in too deep

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Any close ups of the gauge panel? Looks cool as hell

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  8. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I researched it for hours the other night and finally found it. It’s from a 1933/34 Pierce Arrow! I agree it’s cool.

9. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Yes it can be done, heck your dad did it !
    I did a 29 roadster that way.
    '32 frame, fenders, & running boards, with the A body.
    with the fenders in the stock '32 placement, Set the A body on so that the rear fenders line up correctly with the body.
    When you do that you'll find that the firewall ends up in just about the perfect place.
    you will need a special height radiator & a special hood.

Mark Jenny, popawolf, joel and 26 others like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are very fortunate to have inherited your late fathers Hotrod. Generally the frames are boxed or partially boxed when upgraded to a Smallblock Chev. That is a 32 frame with a Model A Body with fenders so yes I guess it can be done...and yes it has. It's work but in Hotrod land making stuff work is part of the deal.

Your new here...Welcome...this site caters to Hotrods built in a style or were built 1965 and older...Do you have more pics of when your dad had this on the road.

As the other fellas have said you are better working with what you have and some of the advice at your end seems hell bent on spending money and ditching history. I ask, don't you have a desire to resurrect your fathers vision?

Cutting that up into a streetrod is a bad idea that you should in fact reconsider.

Did your Dad build it or buy it Rodded from another Rodder back in the day?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  11. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I love that you guys are commenting on the rims and tires! The car originally had some old “Rally” style wheels. The shop guys just put these on to roll it around. Ugly-I agree.

12. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

IMG_2324.JPG

13. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I wanted this to be a driver, and safe. I would prefer to get a stable foundation under this thing.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. I wouldn't have taken that car apart! Have the shops you talked to seen the finished car? I mean you have a Model A on a 32 frame with fenders, so somebody did it! That car just needs a good going over. Where are you located? Maybe you don't need an "expert" but just a couple of local Hotrodders that can help you out.

16. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

IMG_2234.JPG
    Here are the wheels it had on it when my Dad bought it.

17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Um, way better than the first pics... hotrod hard on there

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

A "good" shop or hot rod rebuilder can make that frame safe and still preserve its history.

19. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I would love the advice from guys with experience. I’m just north of San Antonio. Any members near here that would be willing to take a look?

20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Just dont go to Gas Monkey

21. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Don’t think I could afford those guys...

22. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I think you've been talking to the wrong "experts". It looks like the frame has not been pinched which is usually done on fenderless model A's on 32 frames. If it was pinched, then the fenders were modified. You have a really nice period piece including the wheels that were originally on it. Even if there is some sketchy work done to the frame, that can be cleaned up and made safe. I would look up some of the Texas folks such as Brian Bass, Keith Tardell or Austin Speed Shop who know traditional cars.

Rathbone, Hot Rod Nut, brEad and 11 others like this.
  23. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I found the right forum. My Dad and I drove to Amarillo in 1970 to pick up this car - I think he saw it in a classified ad. He drove it for a year, then we got transferred overseas (he was an Air Force pilot) and it went into storage. He always said it was a junkyard build that had parts from many old cars. It had the drivetrain from a 1957 Chevy (283 SBC). He never really had a vision for the car-just wanted a hot rod. When the guys at the shop I have the car at now we’re taking it apart, they found old California newspapers stuffed in the doors and trunk from the late 1940’s, and when they sandblasted the body they found a lot of body mods including where the original builder had cut in taillights in rear body panel like a lot of hotrodders do.

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @RiffRaffRoadster welcome again. Condolences on the passing of your Father and he really had a pretty awesome Hotrod. By the way the Coker Tire Company reproduces tires period to what your Father had on it...

You have a gem of a ride...You should go out of your way proudly to use as much of what is there in the restoration back to what it was...And Please keep all you find as history is important...;)

As suggested you could very well have a very vintage survivor with a remarkable past.

You must think of it this way what your Dad got was a updated vintage Hotrod which probably had connections to the late 30s, 40s 50s hotrod movements...they are honestly very valuable and sometimes even more valuable due to who previously owned them. there may be brass timing tags screwed on somewhere from past racing. Honestly work with what you have and have a historical assessment as said by Tardels, Bass...By the way the member Pete Eastwood who chimed in earlier is a very connected to the scene and history of Hotrods...know what you have. Adding some structure and getting it safe and preserving and restoring and cleaning just what you have is a great step in the right direction and that first drive is going to be a spiritual one. Keep us in the loop.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    kidcampbell71, pitman, dan31 and 7 others like this.
  25. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

IMG_2317.JPG

26. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Like a doctor, get a second opinion, cross members are easy to replace. Add a decent X-member and maybe split the firewall to widen the Model A body so it fits the 32 frame better. This is how HAMBER 'Flop' did it.
    flopfirewall.jpg

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks! Would the Model A body fit on the ‘32 frame without being pinched? I thought he 1932 body was wider.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks Stogy-I’ll look up Coker.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

My hunch is the frame was pinched and the fenders were modified to fit.