Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 3D PRINTED FLATHEAD V8 MODEL

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fourspd2quad, Oct 24, 2018.

1. brady1929

brady1929

That's really cool.

2. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

My son is a freshman at Lehigh and he's doing one there.
    He's not quite done with it but it's really cool.
    I told him to do an Ardun conversion for it. Lol

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

The flywheel and front pulley is sure out of "wack"..............................

4. subscribed, really cool for a shop or man cave

5. armymp71

armymp71

Ok all keep in mind I am one man and one 3d printer (sounds like a futuristic movie!). The parts kit is $100, this is all the stuff needed to make it actually work, it comes bagged with a set of instructions you can print out (pdf). To print the numerous pieces it is going to be $180, add shipping for both and we are at $300. Who wants to be first in line? I will not need the money until I am ready to ship. Also, I am printing using grey and black with the exception of the heads which I will do in whatever color you request as long as I can get the color! I estimate it will be 10 days from the date I start the printing. I will keep a list so orders are filled in the order they are received. I will also look into other engines but I am more of a printer then a designer.....

Atwater Mike and Flathead Dave like this.
  6. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

so where are you guys getting the kits? And do they come with the parts files?

Never mind, Google is my friend. Found it

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  7. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a great followup to that video that was posted over in Fordbarn. Cool.

8. clem

clem

What a great teaching aid, for training mechanics and others.

9. We 3D print a lot of tools at work, holding and positioning aids mainly. One guy is really good at it and his surface finishes are better than anyone else's. That is what adds to the cycle time. Great to see someone take it to the Ford flattie level.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Note the Factory Relief, too! Some extra trouble to go to there...Very impressive project.

11. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

I'm in!

12. ^^^^ That kid was born in "1953" ?!!! So this guy is 65 ??!!! I call bullsh#t on that. F#ck you Peter Pan, your ass is mid 30's tops !!

Anyways .... on with the show !!!!! Great video. Other than Mr. Pinocchio .....

Hombre, RMONTY and deathrowdave like this.
  13. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Which printer did you buy? I am going to get one, been wanting one for a while, this is my excuse.

14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

There will be no “ Peter Pans on this hunt “ ! It’s all business

15. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IF the files are available for download an average 3D printer will do the job as far as printing goes. However just a word of caution, the low end 3D printers run about a grand or so but they do require some tinkering to get good prints. Those who come from an engineering background may know there is a big difference between a professional 3D printer and those types of printers. Also in order to design parts to print it will require the ability to design parts in a 3d CAD software. For those starting out however I would recommend something like a Flashforge Creator Pro printer. What you will quickly learn is that it will become a new hobby to learn as opposed to just a tool to create parts. There are a bunch of settings and trial and error involved to make good parts but if you are open to it the sky is the limit.

16. On the H.A.M.B. we talk cubic inches not liters.

nochop likes this.
  17. There is a lot you can do with the file before it hits the printer, to get a better finish. But it adds time to the process. We have the luxury of having a big system at work and if have an array of tools running some batches will run 36 hours. We have one desk-top sized printer that is pretty fast.

18. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

My background is electromechanical and pretty well versed in 2D CAD. 3D will be a big learning curve, but this kind of stuff makes it fun to learn. I downloaded the rat fink file for a first try and ordered a printer. I need this for my business, right??????

19. 392

Very cool. It’s amazing where technology is today.

20. Here's a video interview with Eric Harrell (the originator of the 3D-Printed Flathead V8):

21. I stumbled across the original video a few weeks ago. Got all excited and started looking into 3D printers. Then I started thinking about my 3 project cars, my honey-do list, the house reno projects... those flatheads are pretty darn cool, but I won't be building one anytime soon :D

22. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I ordered one like he uses. Lower end, but don’t want to sink a bunch in it.

23. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

24. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The video is pretty impressive - the fellow has made not only engines, but entire chassis including transaxles, differentials etc.

He must be really smart!

25. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

From what I gathered from the video is he's so smart he can't explain it in words....................................................

26. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I think I’m being too anal
    They all say 40 hours to print the block
    Mine is going to be 4 days

27. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Have you considered printing all of the parts and selling them in kit form? I like your red block better than the grey also!

28. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Danny tell us a little about your 3D printer. It looks like your bed size is huge. You are really putting that thing to work!

29. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

https://www.amazon.com/ADIMLab-Asse...e=UTF8&keywords=ADIMLab&qid=1547918683&sr=8-2

this is the one I snagged, says not available no more. :eek:
    If I were to use this long haul I would stiffen the tower up some. I cranked the speed down so it doesn't beat itself to death. Someone in the previous post said they would print some parts up. I don't think I have the time or the energy to do that. Like you guys said, this is a lower end model, and I think I would snag a better one for a lot of use.