Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Suggestions needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Nov 23, 2018.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

A bit of background: have a 34 Chevy Town Sedan that is unlike a regular 2dr or any other body style. Needed inside window garnish moldings that seem to be extinct. Made up a set with fiberglass which come out quite good but they don't have the 3/8 lip around the back side that seats against the upholstery. Now for suggestions; I can't glass a lip without something in the concave channel to support the glass till it sets up. Whatever I use it will have to set up hard and smooth and then dissolve in water to remove from the channel. My thought so far is to use a hard candy like peanut brittle without the peanuts. Better ideas are welcome; thanks.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a material used in 3d printing...to support structures...it dissolves in water..thats what I've read....

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

This is a long shot for a answer....
    In talking to a guy about his custom fiberglass work he mentioned hard foam, as a plug , and dissolving it with acetone. Seems I read something also about the same technique, but would ask someone in boat building or search the net ,
    Hope this helps ( sorry if it doesn’t )

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. ............I can't really help (other than a bump) but your solution sure sounds YUMMY!:D

5. GTS225

GTS225

Might there be a pasta that you could use as a temporary support, then soak it in water to soften and peel out of the channel?
    Second thought; How about "twizzlers"? Might be a bit big, though. Probably firm enough if they're the right size.
    Third thought; Maybe a tubular type of foam weather barrier from a big-box home improvement store?

Roger