Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tips for cleaning old distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A_Burly_Wind, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Going to rebuild the distributor for my Y block over my turkey day break from work. Its a 57+ FoMoCo and is original, what do I need need to clean it out with? brake cleaner ok? it appears someone sand blasted the housing before selling and its got some crud in it, Ive got a nos set of points and all to go back in it just want to get the inside of it spotless.

2. squirrel

squirrel

That or carb cleaner should be fine. And blow it out with compressed air, and repeat the process a few times to make sure you got it all out.

I usually end up doing some scraping with screwdrivers etc and maybe use a hand powered wire brush, on parts like that.

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I would check distributor shaft for excessive sideplay. If the point gap changes, it needs new bush. They get pretty loosey goosey.

4. Would an ultrasonic cleaner be a good idea?

5. squirrel

squirrel

Sure. But still do a few rinses, and blow it outs, to make sure you got everything.

6. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I soaked my carb in pine sol. Worked great, low cost. Just use name brand pine sol. I even used a small heater to keep it up on temp. I let it soak for 16 hrs, and all the gunk just wiped away.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

R A Wrench and A_Burly_Wind like this.
  7. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Found a picture. After pine sol, good water bath to remove pine sol, then a light LPS spray. 20171124_214739.jpeg 20171124_215719.jpeg

Sent from my LG-LS993 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

A_Burly_Wind likes this.
  8. Might just try that, and on the up side itll smell fresh and clean afterwards haha