Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sandblaster help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubman, Nov 16, 2018.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a TP 960 sand blast cabinet that I got from a friend. I put 75 lbs of #80 glass beads in it, and it worked well for about an hour or two, after which it has almost quit working. I pulled the nozzle in the accompanying photo out of the gun in the unit, and if you look at the 12 o'clock position, you can see how it is worn. The other two pieces in the pictures were in a plastic bag that came with the unit, and I believe they are used in the blasting gun itself. However, similar pieces were not in the gun when I took it apart, and these pieces don't seem to logically fit any place (e.g. the black rubber washer is too large by far to fit into the gun). I know I have to have a venturi effect for the gun to work properly, and the TP catalog shows replacements for these, but I can't figure how everything goes together. I have looked on the TP site and googled a few other sites, but I can't find any information on how everything fits together.

Anyone out there that knows how this all goes together? BTW, I also got a couple of unused nozzles in the plastic bag that are not shown.
    IMG_1543.JPG IMG_1544.JPG

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oops! Sorry!:oops: They should be there now.

3. The "Air Jet" (gold piece) doesnt look right and there should not be an o-ring on the Air Jet, just the flat rubber washer. The Air Jet should be installed from the "power head assy" end that connects to the main gun with the rubber washer to that side. There should also be a gasket under the nozzle. Your nozzle is shot! I have a diagram of the TP gun that I use in my cabinet thumbnail_1117181509.jpg

tb33anda3rd likes this.

4. If you use the steel nozzles they only last like an hour. The ceramic nozzles last longer than the steel ones, carbide even better. It all depends on what kind of blast media you use, softer the media (like glass beads) the longer the life on the nozzle. I use carbides in my gun, I do a lot of blasting and get about a year out of a carbide nozzle using 80grit garnet media at about 130psi.

5. bubba55

bubba55

X2 on nozzle

6. spinning the nozzle periodically will make them last longer.

7. alchemy

alchemy

It's really amazing how much difference a fresh nozzle can make.

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. The diagram of the gun really helps. I was on the TP web site, and it looks like my compressor (220V, 5HP, 8.3 CFM@80 lbs) is marginal for the gun and cabinet I have. I just ordered a kit they offer with small nozzles and corresponding air-jet that are designed specifically for situations like mine. It should be here Tuesday, so I'll put it in and see what it does.

9. Spend the money on the carbide nozzle. I did and works great for many years of daily use and different abrasives.
    Vic

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

X2....

LynnW

11. alchemy

alchemy

I've used the ceramic nozzles for years, and just ran out so I had to put a steel nozzle in that I had in the box. It is obvious how much quicker it is wearing out. If you guys say the carbide works so much better I'll try one next time I order parts. TP is having a big sale right now too, I just got a flier in the mail last week.