Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mac's Bed Sides ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 34 ford pick-up, Oct 31, 2018.

1. 34 ford pick-up

34 ford pick-up
    from california

Can anyone tell me if the Stamped Bed Sides from Mac's are of good quality, I have been searching on line for pictures and testimonials of 1933-34 Ford Bed sides but can't find any. Their website only shows them in drawing form. It says they are Steel and Ships Direct from manufacturer ... that's it ? Twice I've ordered a Catalog from "Mack Hils" but Never received one, and their website appears to Still be under construction.

I once talked to a fellow at a swap meet who said the bedsides sold by these two vendors ( Mac's and Mack Hils ) are made by the same manufacturer, but I can't confirm that either.

If anyone has ordered a Bed or Bed sides from Mac's Antique Auto Parts out of Lockport NY, can you tell me how the quality is, or possibly post some pictures. I have Searched the HAMB with many different keywords but haven't Found anything about them
    Here's the page from their website ....... Thanks , 34 Ford Pick-up

Bed Side - Steel - Right - 70-1/2 Long - Ford Pickup Truck
    [​IMG]
    Part #: 47-66129-1
    Alt Part #: V78027BR
    Price:
    $351.99 ea.
    Availability:
    Ships Direct From Manufacture
    Fitment:
    1933 thru 1934
    See applications below for exact details.
    Additional Freight:
    This item has an additional shipping charge of $125.00 per item.

2. Yes! They’re good Quality Made Beds! But, you need to be sure if you’ve got an Custom one off features that deviate from a Stock 33/34 Ford Pickup bed. That you give them, or anyone else. Clear instructions on your bed Requirements. A Really Good Friend of mine, purchased a 33/34 Ford Pickup, From Mac’s. I’m going to call him, & ask if he had any problems, with his Purchase from m Mac’s. I’ll call him, tomorrow & get Back to you.Best Regards Respectfully BigDTexasKid Dereald Millsap
    Sulphur Springs, Tx. (903) 952-1933.
    My friend Steve, just finished his 1933 Ford Pickup. I’ve also have a Stock 1933 Ford V/8, Full Fender Pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

34 ford pick-up and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pics would be nice to... @BigDTexasKid as catalog shots are...well...just that...;)

Thanks in advance...

4. Ratspit

Ratspit

I just ordered bed components from Mack Hils for my 34. Will be picking them up at the end of November.

5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The pic you posted is of a 32 bedside. They are different.

Stogy likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Have you called Mac's of NY and asked them for the name of their vendor? If it's Mack Hils I would think it might be cheaper to have them shipped from Hils (in the middle of the country) to you in California instead of from New York.

I don't own any, but have seen Mack Hils beds in person and they did look nice.

Stogy likes this.
  7. I bought a complete Bed for a 35 a few years back. You couldn't tell it from a brand new from Ford bed. The customer and myself were more than impressed. I'd tell ya to go for it.
    The Wizzard

Stogy likes this.
  8. andyapplegate

andyapplegate

I only have positive things to say for them. Great quality and duplication on ford bed sides an pieces.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Dirk35

Dirk35

On my 49 Ford PU, I used a Mac's Tailgate and Bed Front Panel with original bed sides. They are great quality.

1949 Ford Rear.jpg

On the 35 Ford PU I built and Sold, I used Mac's Bed Sides and Stake Pockets, Front Panel, Tailgate, and Bed to Running Board Filler Panels. They were also great fit and great quality. This is the only picture I have of the 35, but it'll at least give you an idea.

1935 Ford PU.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Are Pist, Andy, and Dirk talking about Mac, or Mack?

11. A Boner

A Boner

http://mack-products.com/
    Website might still be under construction.
    Watch out for crating charges.
    If you choose to pick up yourself, you have to pay Missouri sales tax.
    Beds are nice!
    Last time I checked, the short bed they offer is too short, and the stock bed is too long ......IMHO.

Stogy likes this.
  12. I've bought components from Mack-Hills, great quality and good people. They even followed up with me to
    make sure I was happy.

Stogy likes this.
  13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Same here, my Mack-Hils 32 bed was just like an original except I opted to have it welded instead of riveted. Top quality.

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

I bought stake pockets for my 35 from Mack Hils and it was NOT a duplicate of Henrys. I was able to rework it to match the original. Mack told me that the early and late 35 pockets were different and I must have the early ones. Sounds like BS. My doors are late 35

15. I bought a tailgate and the quality is very good

34 ford pick-up likes this.
  16. 34 ford pick-up

34 ford pick-up
    from california

***** Thank You All Very Much for the Input !!! *****

After Reading all the Reply's, I went ahead and ordered all the Bed Parts I needed. And Since I was on their website looking at Parts , Mac's sent me a 15% coupon. So the Total Cost for Both Left and Right Stamped Bed sides ( Stock Length ) , Stamped Front Header Panel , Rear Lower channel and the 2 front and 2 rear Stake pockets came out to $1,289 Shipped to my Door. That May seem like a lot to some, But I am Pleased with the Price, especially after comparing it to the bed I just bought from Last Refuge. They Also indicated that they are drop Shipping some of the parts directly from the manufacturer, so it may very well be a Mack Hils Bed.

Thanks Again, I appreciate it !!! ... I'll Post Some Pictures When I get The Bed Parts

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  17. 34 ford pick-up

34 ford pick-up
    from california

Thank You, I went ahead and ordered the Bed Parts

18. 34 ford pick-up

34 ford pick-up
    from california

Yeah I'm Thinking of Welding mine also, I got some rivets and an air rivet gun but I can't seem to get a finished result that I'm Happy With, And looking at a 32 Bed I have sitting here it looks like a lot of Henry's rivets weren't exactly all uniformly matching either .

19. Dirk35

Dirk35

Mine both came from Mac's Antique Auto. Dunno who produces their panels, but they were great.

Keep in mind that your pickup is a 34, and my pickup was a '35 and my other pickup is a '49, but my info that I'm giving you is just to let you and others that read this know the quality of the parts I purchased.

I pulled my the 35 Ford PU out of my grandpa's pasture. He used it as a farm truck in Western Oklahoma, and it still had remnants of the cage thing he had welded into the bed to haul pigs, goats, and sheep to the market. It was beat to hell from its life as a farm truck and had extra straps welded here and there to hold the fenders on and extra crap to fix the spare tire bracket. The bottom of it was all rusted out from sitting the pasture since the 1960s and it also had a spare tire bracket welded to one side. The bumper was welded with pieces of scrap metal to the real roll pan thingy on the bed, and it had random pieces of angle iron welded here and there in order to hold the fenders together and onto the bed sides. But what was good about having the original bed was I had panels the correct size with the correct rolled beads to compare the aftermarket pieces to, and as far as quality and replication of the original, the Mac's panels were perfect in shape and size and great quality.

Mine was basically this but I ordered the parts separately (bed front, bed sides, stake pockets, tailgate), and used my own bed sub frame. I don't really see the parts listed separately and they are about double the price I paid, which was about 10 years ago.

Here are some links.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_v8_ford_truck/rocker-panels-ford-pickup-truck-and-panel-delivery-441220.html?crosssell=Homepage_Featured_Category_Body+Parts++

https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_v8_ford_truck/bed-front-panel-46-wide-die-stamped-steel-ford-pickup-truck.html?crosssell=Homepage_Featured_Category_Body+Parts++

https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_v8_ford_truck/ford-pickup-truck-bed-steel-complete-and-assembled-440334.html?crosssell=Homepage_Featured_Category_Body+Parts++

https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_v8_ford_truck/ford-pickup-truck-bed-steel-complete-and-assembled-440333.html?crosssell=Homepage_Featured_Category_Body+Parts++

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope you follow up with some pictures of the bed parts when they arrive.

21. 34 ford pick-up

34 ford pick-up
    from california

I did receive the Stake Pockets and Lower Rear Cross member of the Bed the other day, still waiting on the sides and header. However, I just bought a 33 Ford Pickup over the weekend which just happened to came with a New 32 Bed and Tailgate from Macs. Here are some pictures, I'm quite pleased with it ... although there are some subtle differences from Henry's that you could spot, the average person wouldn't know. As for me, this Bed is Absolutely the Way to Go. In the 1st picture it looks to me that the previous owner may have modified the bed a little bit in the perch area to accommodate his suspension.
    20181111_142149.jpg 20181111_144259.jpg 20181112_131140.jpg 20181112_130932.jpg 20181112_130853.jpg 20181112_131622.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    dlw1932 likes this.