Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Has your attitude concerning 4 doors changed over the years?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

I’ve heard that all else being the same, a 4 door will be about 75 pounds heavier than a 2 door. I think this was in the case of a 55 Chevy.
    The other issue with 4 doors is the greater complexity of getting all those panels to line up as compared to a 2 door.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. It’s not about how uncool the 4 door classics are anymore. The imports kids drive these days are not cool now :p
    I am a proud owner of a 61’ Cadillac Sedan. A cool 4 door.

BigO, chryslerfan55, clunker and 4 others like this.
  3. 66fora69er

66fora69er

My grandfather gave me two cars, a 31 Fordor banger (all original and garage kept for decades) and a 2 door 62 fairlane. Love em both because of the history (the fordor was my great grandfathers) and theres a possibility I was conceived the fairlane (although my parents will not confirm or deny). Anyways, love em both but Im always looking for a two door coupe etc...

BigO and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

That is the beauty of Patina and the fact that not everything needs to line up for me to be happy with it, hell my 74 Suburban is slammed to the ground and I drive it in MN winter it is undeniably more rusty now then when I got it a year ago, I could care less it looks bad ass and is a blast to drive even with it's whimpy 305/ TH400 combo. I love it more than my old C5, 47 Chevy Coupe, 28 Model A or any of the other old junk we have. I think as generations change most of the "junk" that is perfectly fixable or can at least easily be put back on the road and enjoyed will be.

I hate Chrome and shiny paint on my own vehicles, I have Kids and dogs that could care less what I spent on a paint job and I hate washing cars so bring on the Rust and Patina all day for me.

5. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

See I'm the opposite, I cant even look at a car unless it's a 4 door or more, 4 and 6 year old prevent this and all my cars have seat belts in the rear for the kids cause laws here don't care about cars years for kids. I only look at 4 doors. The 57 chevy we did last year was a 4 door and it's the only 57 I have ever thought looked good, normally I hate 57 chevy's. I have a model A tudor that is in amazing shape and want to build it, but have drug my feet because Kids and hooking them in car seats sucks when you have to crawl over a front seat. It's why I am in the market for a 73-87 Crew Cab because I have a soft spot for Squarebodies being from the end of that era.

chryslerfan55 and 66fora69er like this.
  6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

A Friends Hupmobile Suicide Door Has Always Brought Home Trophies In A Sea Of Coupes And Tudors... 12108279_1511588685829455_7882203537580747719_n.jpg

7. oldsman41

oldsman41

The thirty’s cars i thought were some pretty cool 4 doors after that not so much.

8. ppsi1216

ppsi1216

More is ALWAYS better. Except in the case of car doors

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

9. badvolvo

badvolvo

NO, but there are exceptions to every rule.

10. Terrible80

Terrible80

Some 4 doors I like, some not. I'm in a minority here, I find shoeboxes 2 or 4 door look like potatoes. (shhhhh). If it's cool to me or you , that's yer business!

11. It depends. Some four doors are still hideously ugly while there are others that look good. Personally when it comes to my brand of car,which is Hudson, I mostly prefer the four-door. And I love four-door 49 through 51 mercurys because of the rear suicide doors.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  12. 51 mercules

51 mercules

There are certain 4 doors I like, 49-51 Merc's, Tri 5 Hardtops and 32-34 Fords. Here's a pic of my old 51 Merc![​IMG]

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Here's the thing about 4 doors.. They'll never be as cool or valuable or sought after as their 2 door counterparts, but they're still cooler than any modern vehicle produced in the last 40 years. So feel confident cruising your hamb freindly 4 door knowing your still cooler than 95% of cars on the road today.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. My more door. Mostly original with still just under 31K miles. Like I said I could only find 2drs that needed lots of work for the price I got this car for.

IMG_0775OLD.JPG

15. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Nope. No interest in more doors. Never had it, never will.
    SPark

Gman0046 likes this.
  16. injebreck99

injebreck99
    from Norfolk UK

Hi from across the pond(UK),I have just bought my first American classic car, I don’t mind that it’s a 4door car as it made it affordable to me, it is now being converted from the 6 cal engine to a crate 350 V8, with auto trans, PAS and power steering and disc brakes, I couldn’t afford a a 2 door equivalent. 96EB0792-B832-43C2-AD19-5E9A760BAF8E.jpeg

MO_JUNK, big bird, Dan Hay and 6 others like this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

When four doors bring more money then two doors I might build one. Until then I'm out.

Gary

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    ppsi1216 likes this.
  18. 66fora69er

66fora69er

Don't get me wrong, I have 3 boys, so i too like the extra room. I don't have seatbelts in the fordor but I did add them to the two door fairlane. That car gets driven with the boys in it on occasion. I have seen some sweet fordors but I can't bring myself to hack on or change the one I have. Thus the want for a coupe. I don't NEED another project, but i love projects...

19. FAB6761E-250D-4033-BDDA-67D6FBE5CE90.jpeg This one turned out alright.

I’ll quote myself from another similar thread that was posted recently:

“The trick to building a nice 4 door is to not apologize for it being a 4 door.”

Tri-five Chevy’s, Buick’s and Pontiacs make great 4 door cruisers. Model A sedans and 32 - 34 Fords are cool 4 doors. 50’s Fords work good too in my opinion. If it’s a wagon I couldn’t care less if it was a 4 door versus a 2 door.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    MO_JUNK, big bird, Dan Hay and 8 others like this.
  21. I love 56 Sport Sedans. Owned one once. Another one I regret selling. 1957 Bel Air Fuelie.jpg

22. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I can appreciate a vintage 4 door if it’s in nice shape.

23. @2many projects -
    Deluxe heater, electric wipers, Treadle Vac brake booster and of course, mechanical Fuel Injection. Damn nice HT!

24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Now you are talking my language!

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It has changed a little over the years,I would not cut up a nice 4 door to use for parts but would drive it. I would not restore a 4 door,I have a 65 custom 500 4 door that has been a daily driver for the last 10 years and is really not worth the effort to do the body work that is needed so I am looking for a non running 2 door to transplant the drivetrain in it. I am also open to a very nice non running 4 door too.

27. I bought a 53 Nash Statesman 4 door sedan.......photo shop says it'd look great as a pseudo-Metropolitan only 3 times bigger! Wish I'd done it. 53nashlow.jpg 53nashcoupechopped.jpg

BigO and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Hemihead_NHRA

Hemihead_NHRA

I will make a note that most people are talking pre-war cars, chevy or ford but no one has really stepped near 4 door mopars of the 50’s some body styles are ok like the late 57’and 59 desoto and Chryslers and some of the early dodges i think look ok
    IMG_5841.JPG
    I mean i got a good deal for this one- its pretty much the exact same body-wise when i bought it; which was 3200 which is a great deal for what is essentially a restored car!

chryslerfan55 and Bleach like this.
  29. I hated them in the '50's and '60's. Now, I just dislike them.

31hotrodguy, X38 and Gman0046 like this.
  30. ppsi1216

ppsi1216

Can we all agree to take suicide doors out of this question? We all know nearly all suicide door card are badass. Even as a pretty rigid 4 door hater I'd likely take a suicide door car over a two door. They are iconic IMO. The ultimate old skool design.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk