Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front Hubs, Model A to 40's Ford juice brakes question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guitarguy, Oct 15, 2018.

1. guitarguy

guitarguy

I have read several past posts on the conversion of a Model A to Juice brakes using 40's parts, but the one thing that always seems to be left out is can you use the Model A hub with the later 40's drums or is it necessary to use the 40's hubs and drums together?

The best I can see is the hubs may be interchangeable. But I am unsure, and just have a few more pieces to buy for the conversion--the drums being the major part----if my A hubs will work.

I guess another question I have, is there a "modern" Ford 12" drum with the proper register and 5x5.5" pattern that is less expensive than the 40's era ones I see new, that fit the hubs? Something I may be able to get from a local Napa?

2. With regard to your first question, the usual way to do the conversion is to use the '40 - '48 hubs and drums. A V8 valve seat is often used as a spacer for the inner bearing. It will be interesting to see if anyone has tried to mount the later drums on the Model A hubs.

3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

You can mount 40 - 48 brakes on Model A spindles but need a spacer behind the inner wheel bearing and a ring that goes around the spindle where the backing plate sits. Speedway has the spacer kit for $20, my avatar was set up that way when I pulled it out of a field in the late 80's.

4. guitarguy

guitarguy

Yes, I know about the kit from speedway, I was just more curious about the hubs and drums.....which Fritz supplied an answer to part of the puzzle.

I have a gentleman that has hubs and drums, so I guess that is what I will get from him. And when I get them I can see if the drums will indeed fit the A hubs.

Sent from my XT1565 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app