Register now to get rid of these ads!

History hypothetical question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 5, 2018.

1. If you got a call out of the blue and the voice on the other end offered you the opportunity to get back a hot rod or a custom that you sold in the past and the price was right would you try to swing the deal?

And for the sake of argument, it was a car you wish you hadn't sold.

Again,it's a what if question,no one has contacted me and offered me anything, but if they did I can think of one I would give strong consideration. HRP

3W JOHN, nochop, chevy57dude and 2 others like this.
  2. raven

raven

Well, yes.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I had the money and the guy who bought my 51 Merc called I'd buy it back. Mainly because I bought it when I was 16 and owned it for 32 years and didn't plan on selling it but life got in the way. Problem is he has so much money tied up in it that I could ever afford it. That and I haven't seen the car for maybe ten years as it very seldom leaves the cozy confines of it's climate controlled garage.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on just where my financial state of affairs was at the moment in time. If I really wanted it back, had the cash available and thought it was a fair price for what it is now, I'd go for it. Of course, I've been known to be a little impetuous at times. Lucky for me, I don't fall in love with women, like I do with cars.....cars are MUCH cheaper in the long run!

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there are a couple that I would be very inclined to make the deal work to get them back

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and ladyhrp like this.
  6. rjones35

rjones35

Heck yeah!!

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and ladyhrp like this.
  7. Last time I did that I found I didn't want the car as much as I thought I did....resold it again.

aerocolor, RICH B, 3W JOHN and 7 others like this.
  8. But if you show too much affection & attention for another one of your cars the other ones get moody and want crank, :rolleyes: to a certain extent cars can be like a jealous woman. :D HRP

9. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Probably not. I would have likely sold it the first time for a reason. Bought and sold to flip because it was a good deal to finance\build the ones I really wanted. Which is why I have hung on to the ones I have now.

10. Brenda and I were in Pigeon Forge , Tennessee for a big show about 15 years ago and we were casually discussing my original Model A pickup I had sold more than 35 years ago and the next day we saw a truck in a parking lot that looked similar so Brenda said lets stop and look at it.

After seeing it I noticed a few things that looked familiar and realized it was my old pickup but the new owner had made a abortion out of it, gone was the ribbed bed cover and a piece of plywood paintedblack replaced it and it had a stupid 4 foot tall wing on the back, high back bucket seats and the list goes on & on, I darn near threw up and then I noticed the for sale sign.

I would not have brought the car home if it was free. HRP

11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

It's long gone an destroid,as it was stolden back in late 1964. My full custom Henry J powered by Olds Rocket 88. Admittily I have thought about building a replacemint{what do we even call that if I did,built it by me the same way I did first time? A clone?by the guy that did,hell by now I would of had to replace or fix nearly every thing anyway ! Only thing stopping me is low $,but time an space I have,parts are around but just out of reach. =A HenryJ,53Studebaker rear window n frame work,58 Ford grill,Corvair front bumber,53 Destoto dash,57 Lincon steering wheel,55 T-bird folding top,60 Chevy hood as a rear trunk,55 Chevy Nomad front seat,Olds Rocket 88 n tranny ,pair 59 Cady tail lites,ect.
    But I still have n drive my 1928 roadster,both were my highschool cars,but the "J" had a top,so best for going on a date. My roadster hotrod was an is cool,but not a date car really. my "J" was in Car Craft Mag. in jan. 1963
    18327-1221573264-7c0b60d254d5cb3a3fa213b70e1dff31.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Moriarity, RICH B, 3W JOHN and 6 others like this.
  12. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

That truck was horrible.

13. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

My 1964 Impala ss.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. In a New York minute! You know I would, I bought one back from you.
    I still regret letting my 59 Vette go, I would sell my wife to get that one back. Oh wait, I already sold her, nevermind.
    But I also tried in vain to find my 66 Fairlane I sold so many years ago.

15. jim snow

jim snow

I don't think so. I've moved on and am still in love with the one I got to replace it. Snowman

16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I had a beautiful 1951 Chevrolet Business Coupe that I spent a number of years restoring and it had 20 coats of Sapphire Blue lacquer with a black interior that I wish I had never sold.

I had not used the car in a few months when a friend showed one day and begged me to sell him the car I did.

The car was in a car show in New York City and someone purchased the car and shipped it oversees somewhere and I never saw it again.
    Jimbo

17. If dad's GTO turned up I would win the lottery and buy it back for him.

18. They are both 32 Fords so of course I would buy them back.;)

3W JOHN, clem and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Of course! What car guy has not sold a car and then later regretted it? Three cars come to mind for me. First would be my old '33 Buick 90 series Victoria, second would be a '33 Willys, stone stock 4-dr, sedan and then the one I miss most and totally off=subject for this group, my '67 Imperial Crown Coupe. I loved that car and really missit.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd like to have a few of my old cars back.. the problem is even one I sold only 10 years ago has almost doubled in price since then. I would buy them all back if I could get them for what I sold them for.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and bchctybob like this.
  21. Yes'53 stude lowey coupe 301 sbc.My dad sold when I went to Phx for school.Paid $275. in 1965.

22. 57Ponchoonstreet.jpg Having sold my 57 Pontiac [389/4 spd] after buying my 64 'Vette, I didn't miss it much. After 40 some years I decided I wanted it back......placed an ad in the HAMB 'wanted' forum and updated it for a few years....but now that I have my 34 ford operational, I find I really don't want the ol 57 back as much as I thought I did. Plus, I have to remember I sold it because the clutch was beginning to slip, engine had a wrist-pin knock and trans was missing a gear...forget which one. Also, I fell asleep one night on the interstate after a party and slapped the left side on a guardrail...headlight to taillight crease........had a carb fire that messed up the hood and some guy ran into the back of it at a stop light in Portland...screw that car. What was I thinkin??

23. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah, what 49ratfink said ^^^ for sure. I would like to buy back my '40 Deluxe coupe only because it was my very first car, not for any good work I put into it.
    Now, my '62 Jag 3.8 Saloon I did a bunch of nice stuff to (Chevy 350, beautiful black paint, all new chrome) and sold it thinking I would need the $$ for closing costs when I bought my first house. I didn't need the money after all, I was sick about it.
    Lately, I was offered my '31 Ford Tudor back and the price was very attractive but like others have said, I moved on to other projects and didn't want to break the "new projects" budget.

24. Yes as long as it was all of my old cars. 49 Plymouth, 54 Ford, 68 Galaxie, 62 Bel Air, 68 Z, 77 Trans Am, 73 Corvette. I am sure I am missing some.

25. If a frog had wings ,,,,
    He wouldn't bump his ass on the ground when he tryed to fly.

No unless I could buy it for what I sold it for 30 yes ago

26. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I would not have brought the car home if it was free. HRP
    But, if you really wanted your history, would it have been cheaper to buy the monstrosity and fix it than starting from scratch for a clone rebuild?
    Just because it was changed (for the worst), you built it once before and you know he will never get any price for what he has now,,,

3W JOHN, clem and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If somebody actually had my first Bantam, you better believe I would buy it at his price. The cars since then were nicer. But I wanted to sell them when I sold them.

28. I've sent several Deuces down the road and if the stars would align and publishers clearing house called I would buy each and every one of them. HRP

3W JOHN and ct1932ford like this.
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. I found long ago my life is a lot more fun without a reverse gear. I aint gonna re-marry the ex, move back in with my parents, go retro and rock bell bottoms or buy back a car I sold.

30. No, the truck was my first ground up build and was far from perfect but I liked it like it was,simple and fun to drive.

[​IMG]

I decided later on to build another pickup and found a solid Deuce pickup to build.

[​IMG]

I do miss this one. HRP

383deuce, cpd682, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.