Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Is this the going rate on these station wagons?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Sep 27, 2018.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A guy had a 60 delivery and I know it is not a wagon, lipstick red paint and car was finished and a real beauty on CL. Asking $32,000, dropped to $29,500 and was listed for awhile. Never seen it back on. His '60 was a Barret Jackson type of car. Match that against the one you are talking about that wagon owner just went of the rails on his roller coaster .

2. squirrel

squirrel

younger guys like old 4 door wagons, with "patina". Old guys like deliverys, Nomads, etc. And some of us still remember how undesirable 4 door wagons were, when they were not very old.

The world is changing.

117harv likes this.
  3. upspirate

upspirate

Or any 4 dr !:confused:

mountainman2 and squirrel like this.
  4. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Squirrel is right about young guy/old guy preferences. Remember there are others out there :eek: that prefer a car like this. Admittedly I have not seen the car in person but if it was local, I would call in sick today so I could get a peek :D. I'll stick with my $16k value but would try to purchase for less and if it was mine I bet I would be asking more than that. Go find another one. 59 Chevies are not going down in value, tri-5s seem to have peaked.

5. I was a high school kid when that thing was new. I wouldn't have been seen dead in the thing. Now that it is a traditional hot rod, I feel the same way. Just a stupid old geezer.

upspirate, chopped, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  6. If it was washed and detailed
    Looks complete and clean appears all original

Maybe he needs to read the HOW TO WASH A BARN FIND thread !!

His price seems high,but wagons are popular right now

7. BJR

BJR

I hope he bought a fishing license, cuz that's what he is doing, just fishing for a sucker.

Gman0046 likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'Clean it up'? Look at where it lives. A full detail would last 3 days in that dust storm...

Hnstray likes this.
  9. Another too old to appreciate or respect an asking price anywhere near that for a "back in the day" undesirable family car, you would have been embarrassed to be dropped off to school in.

56don and upspirate like this.
  10. I always wish the guys on these threads with the fanciful super cheap prices they claim stuff is worth would back up their talk with some actual examples of similar condition cars being sold for the prices they throw around. They seems as out to lunch as the guys asking $32,000.

11. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Looks like a cool wagon, However, I think this guy lives at Disneyland. Ads like this are a waste of space and peoples time.

Gman0046 likes this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Our family cruiser when I was youngster was a 60 Kingswood . I think my folks bought it off a car lot when it was a few years old for less than 2 grand. My dad had a thing for 348's and when he saw that it was like his 59 Biscayne 348 3 on the tree.
    The other day I was looking on an old car sight and wagon's were right up there with convertible's as far as price. Funny how times have changed.

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. 60-63 Falcons are not on the top of my wants list but the posting shows a wagon with good potential. IMO.

14. I can't imagine any scenario where that vehicle could bring that kind of money. You could buy a nice 59 Impala sport coupe for that kind of money. But a 6 cylinder, 4 door granny grocery getter? Nah.

Gman0046 and Hnstray like this.
  15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upspirate likes this.
  16. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was a high school kid when that thing was new, too. My Mom had one and I didn't want to be seen dead in her's either but there was one night when I had a date and my rusty POS 50 Ford wouldn't start. Mom was willing to let me take her wagon and I found out just how much more room there was in the back than in my Ford's backseat. Changed my whole point of view on station wagons.

17. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's the pictures from the listing. Set of Supremes would help!
    My fantasy bid is 10K

18. upspirate

upspirate

chevy57dude likes this.
  19. upspirate

upspirate

20. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was in HS vans were just beginning to be cool but many girls parents wouldn't allow them to go on dates with a guy who had a van. My 2 door wagon on the other hand didn't have the negative rep that vans had and it had more than enough room in the back and after I warmed over the 289 and added a 4 speed it would hold its own when cruising E street.

exterminator likes this.
  21. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sold my 60 Brookwood last fall using a HAMB listing for $17,000. It was a 235, stick, new tires, and a new interior. So, I would say the craigslist wagon is substantially over priced. DSCF2083.JPG

Gman0046 likes this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Some guys did;)

Gman0046 likes this.
  23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Crazy Steve, if you don't know, why did you post on its value? How on earth is that even close to being high retail? There no pictures to support that condition.

Gary

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  24. Really? Your idea of the same car in the same condition must be different from mine as a rusty '62 Comet and '64 and '66 Chevy wagons both at $19,500 are not a '59 that looks like it is in pretty good shape for $3,000 that some have claimed it's worth

Squablow likes this.
  25. adam401

adam401

The minivan of the past. Discuss.....

VANDENPLAS, Jeff Norwell and squirrel like this.
  26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Everyone has different taste. Hence differing opinions. Some like, some are well maybe but very few I doubt have a 4 door wagon at the top of their list. Personally I don't care what a value guide says a vehicle is worth. It only matters wether I think what it's value is. If it is way off like this guy's wanted price I wouldn't give a first look. If I was spending $32,000 I am going to get something I desire. It all goes back to what an individual likes.

kbgreen likes this.
  27. What you think it is worth or what your tastes are is irrelevant to the OP's original question just as throwing out numbers with nothing to back them up is whether the numbers are way over or way under.

Squablow likes this.
  28. exterminator

exterminator

E St yep.

29. oldolds

oldolds

30. Deuces

Deuces

You actually watch that show?????... :rolleyes: