Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Window seais in a model A sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

What exactlt do you use to seal the quartwe and back glaee in a Model A 2 dr sedan? My quarter glass have the tracks where I guess they rolled up and down but since I don't have any of the regulator parts, I'll make them stationary. I've got to have all the glass cut for this, I cracked 1 quarter glass getting it out, the previous owner decided to silicone them in, inside and out side so I pulled them out to clean up the mess. I never had a back glass. If anyone has pics, I'd appreciate it, I want this to be a clean job. I also don't have any garnish mouldings so there may be something I'm missing that holds them in.

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I have one upper quarter garnish [2 pce.]…. and a rear window garnish molding...
    r win. fits all years tudor, coupe and some fordors… qtr. fit tudors only..
    window regulators are almost the same front and rear for most A bodies [3 mounting holes]...felt channel retainers... glass channel...
    cool if you can find an exploded view of the whole side... guys ?

3. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I've researched but haven't found anything. I'm going to the Pumpkin Run the first Sat in Oct, they have a really big swap meet. I'll look there for moldings. So the quarters are 2 piece and you got 1/2 of 1 and a rear molding?

4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I finally found 2 threads, one old one on here and one from the ford barn. I know a little bit more, wish they hadn't took everything out. I think there is suppose to be a separate panel that the regulators bolt to so looks like they will be stationary.

5. chubbie

chubbie

Henry didn't put anything between the 1/4 glass and the body (1/4 window bottom) I've tried to come up with a "sweep" or some kind of seal and it just ends up rolled up in a ball. I would buy any aftermarket seal that is available but have never found anything. I saw a hotrod that had them, they were puckered up where a pop rivet must held them in

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

oh contriar'…
    henry had the glass gasket [channel seal] made wider than needed, the extra went to the outside, the channel strip rubbed against the upper, inner quarter when the window was rolled up...
    check out Snyder's antique auto parts, they have a scetch of each part...
    vintage parts books have exploded views of about everything... maybe one of we hambers can post one or you... i'll ask the boys about their having the inner steel panels that the regs screw to...

7. so true.
    In my Tudor I use the same regulators in the rear as the ones in the doors. One time I heard the rear ones had a longer or shorter arm but the ones from the doors will work. And they do. When I got my car it was missing all of the window trim parts, If you shop hard you may be able to find usable garnish moldings for $20 each. The hard parts to find are the upper molding for the rear quarters, the ones that go from the inside/front of the glass up to a 90* and back to a curve and down. the best I could find was a set for $300 at Hershey swap meet. I passed on them but later found a completely rusted set that I had to remove from a rusty body for $10 !!! the only part that i could use was the curve at the rear. So that was a deal. Good luck with what ever you do but try to get the parts so you can have the rear glass go up and down.

8. Back glass, just make a pattern but get your rubber seal first. this way you can make the corners rounded enough that the rubber will sit right. I made my pattern with too sharp of corners and the rubber buckles at the corners. lesson learned.

9. 5window

5window

I had a professional window guy who wa smoonlighting install the quarters and rear window in my coupe when I had it panted. Did a good job, although there's a 1" crack in one quarter I didn't notice before. I think this is fairly common in coupes, and a good place to put a HAMB sticker.

Jet96 likes this.
  10. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Thanks for the help, I found the seals that goes in the track last night, going to do some more looking but not going to get in a big hurry until I can check out the swap meet. It's about the only one close enough to drive to that actually has old vintage parts. Most of them have a bunch of china crap anymore.

11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

none of my business, but now is the time to build a roll down rear window, giving the air somewhere to go keeps the air from swirling around inside... pic is of my coupe, the window is either up or down 4".
    in a sedan power window helps because reaching the window is tough...
    DSCN0913.JPG

12. eicke

eicke

Interesting....any details?

13. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

That would be a great idea. I could make the quarter glass stationary and make the rear glass roll down, power, with the door glass down and the fold out windshield, I'd think you'd get plenty of air.

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I also welded a '32 car or '32-'34 truck cowl top with the vent into a '30 gastank top... Factory air !
    does not work on '28-'29 tanks [too much arch]… cut the '32 vent assembly in half ? ? ?
    I scrounged a big Philips screwdriver with a very beat up handle, welded a bolt to the end, that lets it bolt in without messing with the stock '32 vent assembly stuff...
    DSCN1045.JPG DSCN1046.JPG DSCN3138.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018