Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical torqueflite A727 rebuild question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fstarocka, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

Hi chaps -

so long story short had our RV towed by a company under our AAA service, they towed our RV 85 miles without dropping driveshaft. After alot of thievery and dodgery from the towing company we finally caught them sending misinformation, having mentioned law enforcement they are now real happy to "assist" us.

So have a 1967 Dodge motorhome with A727 - they prev owner rebuilt it with about 600 miles (very honest guy). Question is, now that they burned it out (confirmed by draining fluid), what would most likely be damaged? and would a 75$ rebuild kit have the right parts to fix it? Whats the worst case scenario?

thanks!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The beauty about a automatic transmission, is you never know till you open it up.
    Doesn't sound like a 75 buck kit will have any steels in it, so I would figure more.

3. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

4. squirrel

squirrel

steel plates, bushings, maybe a second gear band...maybe low/reverse band...who knows.

and hard parts, like the pump, drums, etc you wont know till it's apart, and if they are iffy, the load of a motorhome will make them known pretty quick

Hnstray likes this.

5. 1930 A

1930 A

towing with the driveshaft attached has the whole geartrain in the trans spinning. If the engine isn't running the pump in trans isn't pumping any oil to lube the geartrain Best case was towed slowly and there was some splash oiling. Worse case geartrain is screwed. Won't know till you tear it apart.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Your forward clutches will toast and if you are lucky your steels will only be discolored.
    Better wait to tear it down before you order parts. A master kit would be more inline with what you need.

7. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

thanks guys - AAA do have certified technicians that can come out, pull trans and do a professional diagnosis, we will see what happens. I think I did see like a silver dust int he fluid, not 100% sure , maybe its graphite from the clutches - hopefully not something else.

I do have a 2nd A727 but dont want to use parts form another working trans, the towing company is absolutely responsible for the mistake.

8. squirrel

squirrel

never heard of graphite in the clutches. But I have seen the metalflake oil, and it generally means hard parts are getting ground up.

Hnstray and egads like this.
  9. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

no flakes, just a powdered color, i meant the grey clutch material used in some clutches. Anyway - we will see

10. I agree, until you get it apart, then you can determine what really got damaged. Sucks it happened, bad enough getting the RV towed, since likely it messed up your vacation already.

11. Why take the time and hassle, just order a rebuilt transmission and replace.
    Be sure to flush coolant lines and cooler.
    Have torque converter flushed also

Hnstray likes this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Get a fresh converter too.......no sense in taking unnecessary chances.

Ray

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.