Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Update: Tick, tick tick ... only under rolling load.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ken bogren, Jul 18, 2018.

1. ken bogren

ken bogren

Update (9-18-18): Turns out the tick, ticl, tick was an exhaust noise. That got fixed which then revealed that it was drowning out the sound of the sound of some piston slap. Aint life fun?
    ---------------------------------------

Original post
    460 in my 61 f100. Engine makes a tick, tick tick noise under acceleration. VERY noticeable in the cab.

Been doing this a long time, but that's not the same as a lot of miles, but I drive the truck very little, so haven't gotten around to doing anything about it. I've asked several people about the noise, people who have worked on the truck, or at least ridden in and all they say is "don't worry about it, probably nothing major".

I think I might need a better mechanic or better friends or both :)

I can't get the engine to make the noise in neutral, even when parked and revving the engine up. No ticking even when I put it in gear and rev the engine til the rear tires break loose.

I tried recording the ticking today, but too much other noise in the cab. I also changed the oil and added a quart of Marvel Mystery Miracle Oil (?) thinking it might just be a sticky valve, but so far that hasn't helped. Only driven about twenty miles since though. Using a stethoscope I haven't been able to pin down a source location yet.

Any Ideas?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    rjones35 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. rjones35

rjones35

Sounds like an exhaust leak.

3. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cracked flex plate?

1946caddy and Deuces like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Starter bendix hitting the ring gear.

5. Yep, that would be my guess too, I've had this happen to me. You can only hear it under moderate load. Small leak, left alone it will probably get louder over time...

Hnstray, rjones35 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Check your manifolds
    Depending on year etc 460 engines it was somewhat common for the manifolds to crack or burn a gasket.

Also, maybe, possibley a seized u-joint? Seen some cause clicking noises when seized or worn

belair, theHIGHLANDER and 54vicky like this.
  7. greybeard360

greybeard360

460's did not come from factory with manifold to head gaskets. If that is a truck 460, yes, the manifolds were prone to warping, usually from bolts breaking. Drilled many bolts out to fix them.

As someone else mentioned... Check the u-joints! They will make a pronounced clicking sound when the needle bearings get all rusty and start crumbling. And you will only hear it when accelerating.

54vicky and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Exhaust will tick under load, kinda sounds like you've ruled that out by testing.

9. I vote U joints.

Ben

54vicky likes this.
  10. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

my sbc does the same, I cant figure it out either.

11. ken bogren

ken bogren

OK so I crawled under the truck and tried to shake, twist etc the drive shaft at each end. Not an iota of movement.

Any tips on how to check the u-joints?

12. Pull the driveshaft... Manual trans cars will generally kill the rear u-joint first, automatics do the front one. To check the front one you'll have to disassemble it. If it's good, it won't hurt it, just don't lose any parts...

firstinsteele likes this.
  13. I'm going with the exhaust leak also. HRP

14. ken bogren

ken bogren

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. It'll be a bit before I can get back to this issue myself so I might take it to a different shop and see what they come up with.

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

My 460 in a 60 F100 has that irritating tick. I changed all the NEW! lifters to more new lifters, made sure they are made in USA. I have shorty headers on mine. Mine ticks all the time as in neutral too

16. 29moonshine

29moonshine

dry wheel bearings?

17. pitman

pitman

Drivetrain, possible a dry u-joint.

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I’ve seen where a cracked plug wire arc to a header and produce a noticeable tick.

belair likes this.
  19. I just had the same thing, turned out to be a dry u-joint, greased it up and the noise went. New u-joint going in soon.

20. You won’t feel play in the u joint it will be seized
    Pull the driveshaft out and feel the joints for stiffness

21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Check the wheel studs. On these old Ford sometimes they will tighten yet be loose in the hub.

You need to check everything that moves and some stuff that does not ( motor mounts) from the fan to the rear hubs.

This could be something stupid like a loose cover hitting a bolt at the right harmonics. Go over it with a fine tooth comb.

hendelec likes this.
  22. manyolcars

manyolcars

my tick is when sitting still so its not a u joint

23. Look under the hood in the dark to catch any arcing, but I go more with an exhaust manifold crack. Look for a white-grey track on the manifold surface. This is the exhaust gases escaping and it leaves a trail.

hendelec likes this.
  24. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

I had a tick under acceleration that got louder over time. It turned into more of a “chuh chuh chuh” sound. Turned out to be the crumbling donut gaskets between the manifold and exhaust pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Covering the exhaust outlet with at wad of rags pressed tight can force exhaust leaks to reveal themselves.
    Might be a 2 person job to listen at the motor at the same time.

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'd suspect the exhaust leak also. Some of the manifolds warped enough to break bolts. Ford modified the manifolds in later years to avoid the warping and cracking.

27. ken bogren

ken bogren

Like this? On the top edge of the driver side exhaust manifold at the 3rd plug from the front.
    P1110186a.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    hendelec likes this.
  28. Point truck in safe direction
    Chock front wheels
    Jack up rear and put it on solid jack stands.
    Have some one in the car put it in gear and get the wheels moving
    Do a walk around. (Not around the front of course)

I hate to admit this...but in my young indestructible days I had a ticking I could not identify using all the tricks. I got so frustrated that I took it to my buddies house with a long paved driveway and had him pull me down the driveway while I was laying on a creeper at the back of the car holding the bumper... not recommended. But i did find the noise.
    Chappy

VANDENPLAS and Truck64 like this.
  29. ken bogren

ken bogren

I haven't been able to get to the engine code numbers on the block, but the date code on the intake manifold in D3VE , so 1973.

30. 41fastback

41fastback

Do you have hubcaps on this vehicle? If so, remove them and take it for a ride. Several times over the years, I've traced noises while moving to hubcaps.

VANDENPLAS likes this.